Circumcision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Things must be sooo different in england
9in regards to this topic) because in canada its like everyone has it done. it seems to be a very rare occasion to hear about someone not being circumsized. I say to each there its your child and whatever you feel is best for them.

My 5yr old brother had to be circumcised a couple of months ago because his foreskin was too tight and caused him a lot of pain and he had several urinary tract infections that left him hospitalised. The poor little fella didn't understand what was going on and after it happened he would often pull his trousers down to show people where he'd lost is 'wiwwy' (he can't pronounce his L's). I think knowing this would have happened when he was born we would have circumcised him then, but obviously, you're never going to know that, it would have been less traumatic for him though for sure!

My mum was also a little traumatised too though, it really isn't the done thing back home and she was worried how he would be treated in the showers after P.E and if it would psychologically scar him seeing how he had memories of it being there and then not.... time will tell I guess!

We're in Canada; my husband is circumcised and we have decided not to circumcise our son. He isn't concerned about his son looking like him -- in fact, his triplet nephews (our son's cousins) were all preemies and are not circumcised, so he will look like them. It just doesn't seem necessary to us: there are health advantages to both and I've been with both types of men and didn't notice any kind of difference myself.

Things must be sooo different in england
9in regards to this topic) because in canada its like everyone has it done. it seems to be a very rare occasion to hear about someone not being circumsized. I say to each there its your child and whatever you feel is best for them.

What makes you think that??? The circumcision rate is around 30% in Canada! https://www.courtchallenge.com/refs/yr99p-e.html

Just to add, my ex is circ'ed and wished he never was. The exposed skin is too sensitive and often cracks and is red and painful. At times he can't have sex because if the pain and sensitivity. He wishes he still has the foreskin there to protect this sensitive area.

As someone in England I'm pretty shocked! I never thought it was a question either unless it was for religious reasons. Never realised it was such common practice in the US, there's one my one learnt for the day.

My step-son was circumcised aged 5 as his foreskin became too tight and hurt was causing problems. It's not generally done routinely over here though and if he hadn't had that problem he wouldn't have been done. Husband isn't and it's not even something I thought about if we have a boy.

Found some info. on the subject and thought I'd put it out there...

1. Many older men, who have bladder or prostate gland problems, also develop difficulties with their foreskins due to their surgeon's handling, cleaning, and using instruments. Some of these patients will need circumcising. Afterwards it is often astonishing to find some who have never ever seen their glans (knob) exposed before!

2. Some older men develop cancer of the penis - about 1 in 1000 - fairly rare, but tragic if you or your son are in that small statistic. Infant circumcision gives almost 100%protection, and young adult circumcision also gives a large degree of protection.

3. Cancer of the cervix in women is due to the Human Papilloma Virus. It thrives under and on the foreskin from where it can be transmitted during intercourse. An article in the British Medical Journal in April 2002 suggested that at least 20% of cancer of the cervix would be avoided if all men were circumcised.

4. Protection against HIV and AIDS. Another British Medical Journal article in May 2000 suggested that circumcised men are 8 times less likely to contract the HIV virus. (It is very important here to say that the risk is still far too high and that condoms and safe sex must be used - this applies also to preventing cancer of the cervix in women who have several partners.)

5. Lots of men, and their partners, prefer the appearance of their penis after circumcision, It is odour-free, it feels cleaner, and they enjoy better sex. Awareness of a good body image is a very important factor in building self confidence.

6. Balanitis is an unpleasant, often recurring, inflammation of the glans. It is quite common and can be prevented by circumcision.

7. Urinary tract infections sometimes occur in babies and can be quite serious. Circumcision in infancy makes it 10 times less likely.
Wow...I had no idea. I mean I knew there were reasons cited regarding health and cleanliness, but a couple of those are pretty convincing. Either way, I would choose to do so as DH would protest if I didn't, but I would never say to someone they were wrong to choose not to.
That is awful about the anesthetic...I had no idea! Why in the world would they have ever not used it during a procedure like this?

We are Team Yellow but if LO turns out be a boy - he will be circumcised - for religious reasons.

My hubby and i are both muslims. We were brought up being told that the foreskin holds bacteria if it isnt cleaned peoperly. Muslims pray five times a day and must be clean from head to toe, so boys are circumcised to ensure that their area is cleaned, if you get what i mean.

If we have a boy then he will be circumcised its all people personal choice.

xxx

I am not going to get my lo circumcised (assuming I get blessed with a little boy). Not only is my husband uncircumcised, I promised myself and my father I would never get the procedure done on my son(s)
I agree there could be cleaning issues and whatnot, but as you are teaching your child proper hygiene practices, teaching them proper care of their genital area should be part of that as well.

Well I wouldnt get my boy done.
I thought it was only done for religious reasons.
Whats the health reasons? My OH wasnt and hes never had a problem 'down there' cos he has a foreskin.. so I dont see the need to put baby boys through the pain of it.

They legally just stopped docking the tails on certain dogs over here.. only for cosmetic reasons the vet would be prosecuted.. so whats the difference for putting your child through the same sort of thing at such a young age? Just food for thought..

how did we ever get this far from a cave man to now... beats me there must be a reason to having a foreskin so if its OK leave it alone......

https://www.iconspedia.com/uploads/1441316732.png

Both my boys are circumsised but their father is not,however my OH's culture believe in pulling the foreskin back so that the hood can be cleaned very easily hence it is as good as a circumsised one. I have no religious beliefs at all but just felt that my son's should be circumsised. It is really a personal choice and there is no right or wrong answer

I think it often has to do with cultural traditions that are imported from other geographical climates. For instance, if you think about the roots of the Judaic and Islamic cultures/religions, they come from a history of desert and nomadic peoples. There may have been valid hygienic reasons for circumcision in that environment that Northern European peoples just wouldn't have. Now that we have modern technology and globalization, peoples have dispersed from their traditional environments, but the cultural traditions remain.

I have no problem with people making a relatively harmless surgery like circumcision (I liken it to ear-piercing) if it is part of their culture. What I don't entirely understand is if it isn't part of your culture, why do it just for aesthetic purposes? It seems unnecessary, much like ear or tail docking for puppies, as Tsia said. That said, overall rates of circumcision have been going down for non-religious reasons and I imagine within 50-100 years it will be rare for newborns to have it done routinely.

Well, I must say, I most certainly will NOT be circumcising my little boy. OH agrees, but to be honest, I'd find it hard to go along with his wishes if he had felt differently. As for likening it to ear piercing, that's a fair point: I would never pierce my child's ears at a tiny age, either. I have several piercings myself, I think they look awesome, but I will not be mutilating my child's body "to look cool" - He can choose whether or not to do that himself, when he is older!!! :winkwink:
RE: The cleanliness thing, really, how did we ever survive and evolve for millions of years with a little flap of skin on guys' penises?? :dohh: My OH is certainly very clean in that area, and I am sure he will teach our boy to take care of his body in the same way. I mean for heavens' sake, not all children are very good at keeping their teeth clean, either: Would we pull those out, to save them the trouble of keeping them clean?! It's a part of their little body, surely? I would not want to lose any part of my tiny little boy's body to a knife (or whatever it is they use these days) without some very strong reason.

BUT... Of course, there are BOUND to be differences of opinion on this matter, if nothing else then simply because religion and cultural assumptions and medical (mis?)information are very strong phenomena. I respect any parent who takes it upon themselves to make the decision to do this- It is OUR decision ultimately, as parents, and noone can force us to do what we are uncomfortable with.

I only hope noone is doing this simply because they feel like they have to. That, to me, is the absolute worst case scenario :(

:hug:

Shadow xx

^^^^^^ Ditto exactly what Shadowrat said ^^^^^^

yep, another ditto to the lovely Shadow.

I actually think it's barbaric if it's not done for a genuine medical reason. why would you have cosmetic surgery performed on a defenceless baby?

yep, another ditto to the lovely Shadow.

I actually think it's barbaric if it's not done for a genuine medical reason. why would you have cosmetic surgery performed on a defenceless baby?

Absolutely... Couldn't agree more. And I will say that one of my sister's 3 boys had to be done (at about 8 years old, as I recall) for a genuine medical reason. That's the only time I would consider it for my boy.

Ladies please remember that although you may not agree with the practice there are other people's cultures and religions that do and you should respect that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"