Clary Sage?

thelilbump

♥ mummy to a princess ♥
Reaction score
Someone recommended trying clary sage to help with labour so i've been reading up on it as i'd never heard of it before. It was a random lady in a shop so i'm not entirely sure what to make of it!

Does anyone know anything about it?

Does it actually help labour or just start contractions? For anyone using it/used it how are you using it? where did you get it from? I read it's in a lot of muscle soaks such as radox. Would it be strong enough in that form or is it better as an essential oil added to your bath? Sorry for all the questions, i'm curious.

its an anti spasmodic, analgesic(pain killer), relaxant :)

artical on clary sage

https://www.amazingpregnancy.com/pregnancy-articles/454.html

a few of my friends swear by it :)

Thanks for that article its quite helpful. Have been readin through google but alot of the sources it's come up with have been other forums.

i have some more links on my pooty somewhere im properly tired will find them in the morning for you,

xx

aww thankyou hunny x Go and have a sleep :sleep:

hehe im nearly sleeping here im holding out for eastenders and a bath lol

Clary Sage sounds like 'he' should be a game show host on Blankety Blank!
hahahhaha:)

I've heard some good things about clary sage too, might go and get some at the weekend. Already got my lavender oil.
xx

Think I will be getting some nearer the time x x

I've heard some good things about clary sage too, might go and get some at the weekend. Already got my lavender oil.
xx

My hospital provide lavender oil and camomile so i didn't bother buying any for home. Have some lavender bubble bath (the type that doesn't smell of old ladies lol) which i intend on using at home in the first stages.

As far as i can work out clary sage contains lots of uterine tonics and a painkiller, it also says about helping bring on and move contractions along. can't decide whether to give it a go. Where do you get it from? Boots or holland and barret, somewhere like that?

I got mine off ebay but the seller has a website and the postage is cheaper that way.

https://www.mothernaturesgoodies.co.uk/

Mine arrive this morning and I had a sniff of the lid and JEEEEEEEZZZ it's potent!!! I'll be blending it with sweet almond and I also have some lavender.

x

bugger i forgot about this thread will dig out my research now for you

https://www.treehuggermums.co.uk/articles/pregnancy/article.php?article=27
https://www.babyworld.co.uk/faq/ind...Section=Labour&query=&opt=&page=&question=871

this is about oils in labour not just clary sage
https://www.babydirectory.com/cgi-bin/showPreg.pl?AROMATHERAPY

Clary Sage-relieves tension, brings on labor, helps with expelling afterbirth
Geranium Rose-enhances circulation and is good for labor management techniques which focus on breathing
Jasmine-dulls uterine pain, strengthens contractions, promotes birth and increases milk supply. Excellent when mixed with lavender and a carrier oil of Evening Primrose and Vit. E for perinial and cervical massage
Lavender-dulls and eases uterine pain but also increases the strength of contractions while calming the mother. Great for reducing stretch marks!
Myrrh- speeds labor, opens cervix
Neroli-reduces fear, tension, insomnia, apprehension, anxiety
Rose-cleansing effect on the uterus, antidepressant, softens ligaments (easier to open pelvis to push for larger babies and smaller Mamas)

https://www.moondragon.org/aromatherapy/aromabirth.html

Using Essential Oils in pregnancy and labour:
Massage: Blend 2-3 drops essential oils with 10mls carrier oil
Bath: Use 4-6 drops in 5mls carrier oil or full fat milk or cream
Inhalation: Place 1 –2 drops on a tissue or pillow
Vaporisation E.g. Oil burner Place 4-6 drops of essential oils in water so that the vapours are inhaled and enter the bloodstream in this way, but I would recommend you check with the people helping you as it could be awkward for anyone working in the delivery room.

All the below oils can be used in the above ways

Helpful Essential oils in Pregnancy:

Clary sage (salvia sclarea), one of the oils you are strongly advised to stay away from during your pregnancy, Due to its labour inducing properites But can be extremely beneficial to you on the big day. It has a narcotic effect and can be used either blended into a carrier oil which your birth partner massages into your lower back, or in a warm compress pushed onto the lower abdomen or lower back – basically, where it hurts most. Another way to use it is to dab a couple of drops onto a face pad or tissue to hold to your nose/mouth when you need some relief. A good combination is clary sage with rose oil. This might be a substitute for gas and air. Just before you feel a contraction coming, breathe in deeply from your face pad, then after the contraction has passed, breathe in gently and rhythmically from the face pad.

Lavender (lavandula angustifolia)
Main properties: pain relieving, encourages cell renewal, muscle relaxant, tonic, antibacterial, antiseptic, antiviral, relaxing, anti depressant
Use for: backache, headaches and migraines, muscle and joint pain, insomnia, colds and coughs, depression, stretchmarks, infections mild sedative properties and it stimulates uterine contractions. From a study done in the midwifery group at the Ipswich Hospital in 1992, a lavender bath is recommended where 3-5 drops of lavender oil are dropped into a bath of water. The water is agitated to circulate the oil, which will evaporate within 15-20 minutes. The only safety precaution here is that there is potential access to the foetus, but this depends on when during the labour you take the bath. If you anticipate a water birth and want to use oils in the water, neat oils can cause corneal ulceration to the baby. I would advise that you ensure the oil is mixed in with a little carrier oil or milk before dispersing in water. Use up to 7 drops in two teaspoons of oil or milk.

Roman Chamomile (anthemis nobilis)
Main properties: anti-inflammatory, pain reliever, muscle relaxant, antibacterial, calming and soothing to the emotions.
Use for: backache, aches and pains, headaches, wind/colic, constipation, breast pain and swelling, cystitis, nasal congestion, dry skin, to ease worries, irritability and stress.

Frankincense (Boswellia carterii)
Main properties: pain relieving, encourages deep breathing, rejuvenating, antibacterial, comforting.
Use for: aches and pains, stress, panic, anxiety, skin tone and stretch marks, meditation

Bergamot (Citrus bergamia)
Main properties: pain relieving, anti depressant, uplifting, antibacterial
Use for: Sadness and depression, cystitis, aches and pains, colic, indigestion
NOTE: Do not apply to the skin if going out in the sun within 24hrs unless you are using Bergamot FCF (Bergaptene Free-the constituent which causes sun sensitivity)

Geranium Pelargonium graveolens
Main properties: balancing, uplifting, pain relieving, improves circulation, anti inflammatory
Use for: backache, painful swollen breasts, cystitis, swollen ankles (gently massage towards the heart), colds, sore throats, infections

Neroli (citrus aurantium)
Main properties: antidepressant, antiseptic, digestive, sedative
Use for: digestion, wind/colic, constipation, diarrhoea, stress, depression, fear, anxiety, insomnia, stretchmarks
NOTE: Neroli is an expensive oil but well worth the investment for during pregnancy and when in labour. If there is one time to use neroli, it is in pregnancy!

Jasmine oil ( jasminum officinale) is a heavy, strongly scented oil and, for that reason should be used in small amounts. Another expensive oil (though not as costly as rose otto) it can be useful at the final stage of labour where there is no risk to the baby, and you want the baby to move out. It helps to calm the labour pains, but more than that, it can help with expulsion of the placenta. Not to be used before labour

Other useful essential oils include sandalwood, petitgrain (neroli’s ‘cousin’), rose, orange, vertivert, rosewood.
Rose otto, like neroli is an expensive oil, however its benefits are numerous and is particularly suited to use in pregnancy and labour. Rather than purchasing undiluted essential oils, you may consider a pre-blended massage oil that includes neroli and/ or rose.

Labour
Essential oils can be used when in labour to help relieve pain and cramps, aid breathing and for their relaxing and calming properties.

A suggested massage oil blend especially for backache in labour:
30mls carrier oil (such as sunflower or sweet almond oil)
4 drops lavender
2 drops roman chamomile
2 drops frankincense

A suggested massage oil blend to ease stress and promote relaxation, as well as relieve pain:
30mls carrier oil
2 drops neroli (or 3 drops petitgrain)
2 drops frankincense
3 drops lavender
1 drop bergamot

Hope this may be off interest to some of you ladies.....

i brought some clary sage a couple of weeks ago to use in the bath and i love the smell so much that i have put some on cotton wool and put it around my bedroom its so relaxing.
It hasn't start any contractions for me yet but i know someone who soley used this for a couple of days and went into labour.

i brought some clary sage a couple of weeks ago to use in the bath and i love the smell so much that i have put some on cotton wool and put it around my bedroom its so relaxing.
It hasn't start any contractions for me yet but i know someone who soley used this for a couple of days and went into labour.

Ooo i hope it works for you! :hugs:

it helps with exhaustion,makes contractions calmer yet stronger
hleps with fatigue too,I myself have used it in birthing and have found it very helpful x

Hi girls! I swear clary sage helped me into labour! The day before things really started, I had 2 baths with clary sage and massaged my bump with it mixed with vegetable oil. I also had it on my pillow that night. I also used it during the early stages at home...just smelling a tissue with it on during contractions.

Im a huge fan xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->