cleaning his peepee?

Discussion in 'Toddler & Pre-School' started by momtoparker, Dec 20, 2009.

1. momtoparker

momtoparker Well-Known Member

Hi. I have a son and he is four. My son is not curcumsized so pulling back his penis skin and cleaning it is recommended, right? Well i just can't do it! I have tried to once and he giggled and so on and i felt creepy and sick. I know i am just cleaning him but i just don't think i can do it, especially with him telling me that. I mean obviously it feels kinda good to him and so i have to put a stop to it. I am a single parent so there is no father to help with that job. Is it crucial?

2. cbear

cbear Mummy to Aidan

My 3yr old is not circumcised and I don't clean under the foreskin, just wash his winkle in the bath.

I know what you mean about when they giggle feeling creepy. If i need to put cream on it he will giggle and say it tickles.

He has a bit of an obsession of rubbing up and down when he is laying on his front:blush: It's a bit cringey but he is only doing it because it feels nice.

If you are concerned about his winkle and cleaning it i would have a word with your health visitor, she'll have come across this before no doubt.

Claire x

3. Jo

Jo I'm an old bag!

It will clean itself ok in the bath and such, it is not recomended pulling the forskin back to clean it, it could cause more problems in the long run x

4. sabby52

sabby52 Mother, Nanny

I never pulled either of my boys foreskin back, I just wash them in the bath/shower.

5. isil

isil Well-Known Member

yeah I always thought you weren't meant to force it back, like you should wait til the child does it himself. I don't even really wash Ally's yet. He does a good enough job of that pulling and yanking it in the bath himself!

I'll be shipping Ally off to his Dad's when it comes to teaching him how to do it himself, wet dreams, shaving etc etc. His father has to be there to do something useful!

6. xXhayleyXx

xXhayleyXx Happy mummy of 6 :)

I have never done this with my sons either and he is 5, its not reccomended to be honest x

7. Hevz

Hevz 4 beautiful children

I agree with the others....you're not supposed to pull his foreskin back anyway. Just give it a wash on the outside....just the same as with a girl, you don't clean inside.

8. PitBullMommy

PitBullMommy Princess, FF & Angel Mom

I have done Austins a few times when he got poo in it, but mostly it creeps me out, LOL. He gets a big ol gummy grin on his face that makes me feel creepy. Didn't think you were supposed to do it anyway.

9. ryder

ryder Mum to Jasmine & Peyton

here it is definately recommended to be pulling the foreskin back and clean it, you also have to make sure its dried well too. If its not cleaned and dried properly they can get bacteria growth which can lead to infections or yeast problems.

I work in a hospital and I can tell you cleaning old men is much more creepy and disturbing.

10. mommyof3co

mommyof3co Mommy of 4 amazing boys!

Mine are circ'd but I know alot of moms whose boys are not and I always heard you aren't supposed to force it either. But since there is conflicting advice in the thread I thought I'd look it up for you to see what the "experts" say to do

"Foreskin Hygiene: The foreskin is easy to care for. The infant should be bathed or sponged frequently, and all parts should be washed including the genitals. The uncircumcised penis is easy to keep clean. No special care is required! No attempt should be made to forcibly retract the foreskin. No manipulation is necessary. There is no need for special cleansing with Q-tips, irrigation, or antiseptics; soap and water externally will suffice.

Foreskin Retraction: As noted, the foreskin and glans develop as one tissue. Separation will evolve over time. It should not be forced. When will separation occur? Each child is different. Separation may occur before birth; this is rare. It may take a few days, weeks, months, or even years. This is normal. Although many foreskins will retract by age 5, there is no need for concern even after a longer period. [1984 version only: No harm will come in leaving the foreskin alone.] Some boys do not attain full retractability of the foreskin until adolescence."

https://www.cirp.org/library/normal/aap/

This is an answer from a doctor on a pediatrics website that is reviewed by a medical review board. But parents asked how to take care of it as they were getting conflicting advice and here is part of the doctor's answer

"And it does seem that one of the biggest problems that leads to children needing a circumcision later in life is improper care of their uncircumcised penis, with this improper care usually involves a parent being told to retract their child's foreskin before it is ready to be retracted.

The best advice that a parent can follow is to simply 'leave it alone' and let a child retract and wash his penis once he discovers that it is retractable. See this guide to the Care of the Intact Penis for more information.

Many of the problems that occur with an intact penis involves parents or health providers who forcibly retract a child's foreskin before it is ready to be retracted. Keep in mind that the foreskin sometimes doesn't retract until well into puberty."

https://pediatrics.about.com/od/weeklyquestion/a/04_penis_care.htm

I hope that helps :)

11. Jo

Jo I'm an old bag!

I knew you shouldn't but didn't have time to look and couldn't remember why
    thanks x

12. isil

isil Well-Known Member

thanks Beth :) a nurse told my friend to retract her little boy's and I was sure the nurse was wrong! I knew proper men were meant to. It's scary that you can cause damage by retracting it too early!

13. Midnight_Fairy

Midnight_Fairy New baby J

I have not done this yet and he is 5, I just give him a flannel in the bath/shower x

14. trumpetbum

trumpetbum 2 girls..boy on the way.

You definitely don't need to pull it back, he'll do that himself soon enough. Boys aren't generally circed here and we generally just wipe the outside gently with a moist cloth.