Clomid help

Teri7489

Proud mummy
Reaction score
My sister has just started clomid this cycle after a very frustrating time with her super unhelpful gp. She has taken it for 11 days by accident and is now having lots of lower abdo pain. She's had her scan and was told that there are two large follicles so it's positive but obviously didn't let on she had taken too many tablets. Has she caused herself more issues with taking too many? Sorry, I know very little about it so though you guys could help me out xx

I'd imagine taking too many could cause hyperstimulation of the ovaries - if she's taken them for that long she really should seek some advice. The standard amount of time to take them for is 5 days. I'd be concerned, but at the very least she really needs to keep an eye on how she's feeling - if the pain is really bad or gets worse she needs to see someone urgently.

I've urged her to go to the doctor but think she's embarrassed about it. She's had a lot going on that I won't share on here so it's just been a total mistake. She's not in terrible pain, still managed to run around a park after my 2 littlest one but deff is aware of a pain in her lower abdomen.

Abdominal pain and bloating are common with mild hyper stimulation. I had mild OHSS on clomid a few times and the pain and discomfort went away at around 3dpo the cycle I got pregnant though it came back with a vengeance in the 2ww at 10dpo bloated so bad looked like I was 6 months pregnant, fullness and abdominal discomfort and nausea which is normal with mild OHSS.

For mild hyper stimulation
You may experience:
- Abdominal bloating and feeling of fullness
- Nausea
- Diarrhea
- Slight weight gain
Recommended treatment:
- Avoid sexual intercourse
- Do not have a vaginal (pelvic) exam other than by one of our physicians
- Reduce activities, no heavy lifting, straining or exercise
- Drink clear fluids, flat coke, ginger ale, cranberry juice, Gatorade or Ensure.

Moderate
You may also experience:
- Weight gain of greater than 2 lbs. per day (excessive weight gain)
- Increased abdominal measurement causing clothes to feel tight
- Vomiting & diarrhea
- Urine is darker and amount is less
- Skin/hair may feel dry
- Thirst
Recommended treatment As noted above plus:
- You may need to be seen by a physician who will do an ultrasound
- Record your weight twice daily
- Record the number of times you urinate each day
- Contact our office if you note a five pound weight gain over the previous 24 hours, note a drop in the frequency of urination (~50%), or increasing pelvic pain

Severe OHSS symptoms:
Rapid weight gain — such as 33 to 44 pounds (15 to 20 kilograms) in five to 10 days.
Severe abdominal pain.
Severe, persistent nausea and vomiting.
Blood clots in legs.
Decreased urination.
Shortness of breath.
Tight or enlarged abdomen.
Recommended treatment As noted above plus:
- Notify the physician on call
- You may need to be assessed at the hospital
- Excess fluid may need to be removed from your abdominal cavity

Severe OHSS is rare with clomid ,more common with injectables but I would inform her to go to the hospital if she experiences the moderate to severe OHSS symptoms.

How did she get 11 pills? I only get 5 per refill.

I'd definitely say something to the doctor. Just explain that it was a mistake and I'm sure thy can put her mind at ease...better than worrying about it all month!

Her doctor has given her enough for the 6 months the NHS provide. She just didn't realise until we got chatting that she wasn't suppose to keep taking them.

I have heard of some women who do not respond to Clomid or Femara alone being given 5 days of Clomid followed by 5 days of Femara. She really needs to tell her doctor and have an ultrasound. Accidents happen and they will understand. I conceived one baby on 100mg for 5 days but there's a lady on another group I'm in that's expecting quads after 50mg for 5 days. It may all be fine, but getting pregnant with high order multiples can be dangerous.

Her doctor has given her enough for the 6 months the NHS provide. She just didn't realise until we got chatting that she wasn't suppose to keep taking them.

Don't they give instructions over there with the prescriptions?.

Of course they come with instructions, it was merely a mistake and I'm just looking for advice now that it has happened.

Of course they come with instructions, it was merely a mistake and I'm just looking for advice now that it has happened.

Sorry I was not trying to sound rude, I just was curious because realizing how different things are here in the US vs the UK. Here in the US they only give 5 days worth at a time plus I get talked to by the doctor and the pharmacist of how its to be taken plus the risks before they hand over the prescription. They do that here because most people don't read the paper instructions that come with prescriptions I know I don't always read them, its definitely the doctors and pharmacists responsibility to make sure the patient knows how to take the medicine.

As far as advice as I said above have her watch for OHSS symptoms and go to the doctor or hospital if she is in too much pain or has shortness of breath and if she is in a lot of pain and not wanting to risk multiples tell her to avoid intercourse. also have her drink lots of clear liquids and drinks with electrolytes help as well, no heavy lifting and ibuprofen or Tylenol may help take the edge off the pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->