clomid questions?

TTCSweetie4

Reaction score
I have been prescribed Clomid for abnormal uterine bleeding and we have been TTC for well over a year. When my ob/gyn mentioned the risk of multiples my husband freaked out and is unsure if we should go down this road. Anyone know the risk of multiples? Side effects? Overstimulation?

We used clomid both times to conceive our boys. I did 3 cycles with my first. 5 cycles when ttc #2, but ended up having to switch to femera with an IUI and ended up preggers on first cycle. My doctor said that there was a 10% chance of having twins while on clomid, but from what he has seen people who have twins while on clomid have twins that run in their family so he wasn't convinced it was the medication.

But since clomid does induce ovulation you can have a chance of releasing more than one egg. We were nervous every cycle, but had singletons with each. I'm not sure about the hyperstimulation as i never had it, so can't help you there. If you're being monitored while on clomid (our doc did ultrasounds and blood draws), then I would assume the risk is low, because they will stop you for a cycle or two if they see the signs of overstimulation.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you.

Yes it does a lot. Thank you. What cd were the ultrasounds and blood draws? He just wants me to start now since I don't know were I am in my cycle. I don't have a problem with ovulation I have a luteal phase defect and abnormal uterine bleeding which is causing a thin lining. He told me just to come back in 27 days. I should either have gotten my period or be pregnant.

blood draws were 5 dpo usually around cd22 for me. and ultrasounds were at cd7, 12 and 22. OMG so many doctor's appointments. But my issue was not ovulating. I learned the hard way that yes you can get a period every month without ever ovulating. I had no idea. I always geared up to O, but never did so i had + opk's and assumed I ovulated due to monthly AF, but nope. So the ultrasounds were to make sure that I was gearing up to O, and then confirming O and ruling out hyperstimulation.

So it sounds like your dr is having you take clomid to have a really good O, which produces more progesterone for your lining. I wouldn't worry too much about multiples. If it happens it happens, but you'll play the what if game if you don't even try.

There is about a 1 in 10 chance. About 8% of couples have multiples. I read that taking them days 5-9 instead of 2-6 lowers the chances of multiples. But you can ask your obgyn (and I'm not suggesting taking them on any other days other than what was prescribed)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->