Clomid

gradschoolmum

Reaction score
I visited my obgyn this past week, and after talking with him, if I'm not pregnant this cycle, he wants to start me on clomid if I want to. He's having both DH and me come in for some tests, then will follow with medicine to help me ovulate. As of now, I seem to be ovulating every other month, so even though we haven't been trying a year quite yet, he thinks that it's not wise to wait for the textbook one year marker.

I just want to hear your experience with it. I'm very open to it, but know little to nothing about it. I've only started reading more in the last few days.

I conceived my current pregnancy on it. I was prescribed 100mg days 5-9. No real side effects. Prior to that I had two healthy children, a chemical, three miscarriages, then couldn't get pregnant again. I was very pleased with it and would recommend it!

For those who don't ovulate, Clomid can be fantastic. It was for me and I conceived on my third cycle. But if you do ovulate, Clomid may not help, in fact it may make things worse. Clomid can thin your lining which makes it difficult to implant. This is usually the case for higher doses and multiple cycles. Clomid can also increase the chances of multiples, which to some people isn't a problem, but multiples are higher risk than single births. The other risk is that Clomid can reduce your cervical mucus. This is quite a common side effect. It makes the swimmers slower and find it harder to get to that egg.

If your doctor has confirmed that you are ovulating but hasn't done other tests first, that might be the best place to start. Has your partner had a semen analysis done? Have you had your tubes and lining checked? If there's an issue with one of those things, Clomid isn't going to help.

Speaking personally, once I took the jump into fertility treatment things got quite 'real'. We were looking at 3 Clomid cycles, then 3 IUI cycles and then into IVF. It was scary to think that we were only a few months away from the big guns. If we had started fertility treatment before the 12 month mark, we could have been looking at IVF much sooner. We started Clomid around the 12 month mark and I wasn't regularly ovulating. Just watch out you don't run out of options too soon.

The side effects weren't fun (nausea, headache, hot flashes, night sweats, irritability) but bareable and nothing compared to first trimester. For me, it was so worth it because it regulated my cycles and I conceived. But I dont ovulate regularly and had crazy cycles.

Anyway, I'm not trying to sway you either way, but you might want to look into Clomid and unexplained infertility to see if it's the best option for you (Femara might be better?) and make sure you've had other fertility tests done first.

We are doing semen analysis and checking my lining and tubes before he prescribes anything. He (the dr) is super flexible about what patients feel comfortable with, I've had several friends who had fertility issues and used him and ended up conceiving a few months later, so as far as being pushed into something, I'm not worried about that. He had mentioned another fertility drug, I just had never heard of it. Might have been Femara. We are going to wait until after the tests to start anything.
But thanks for the info! Taking meds right now doesn't bother me, but I would definitely want to wait before we go further down the fertility rabbit hole, unless here are specific problems we find in our upcoming tests

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->