clonazepam and prozac

mamacastro

Reaction score
I have pretty bad general anxiety disorder. I am on a prescribed dose of .5mg clonazepam twice a day as well as 40mg prozac.

Has anyone had experience and/or a healthy successful pregnancy on either of these medications? I'm really more concerned about the clonazepam, since my pdoc says that prozac is okay in small doses during pregnancy.

I'm scared to call him and ask, because I'm nervous he may tell me to d/c the clonazepam cold turkey. I want to wait until I see my OB on December 26.

I just want a healthy pregnancy! I just know coming off of the benzo will cause severe panic/anxiety. It seems that the risk of coming off is not worth the anxiety it may cause.

I was on low dose zoloft all through pregnancy and baby was fine.

I'm on prozac 40mg and was with my pregnancy with my son. My anxiety is very bad at the moment, palpatations, nervousness and other things so I'm not looking to come off mine any time soon. I will take them throughout my pregnancy xx

I'm on prozac 40mg and was with my pregnancy with my son. My anxiety is very bad at the moment, palpatations, nervousness and other things so I'm not looking to come off mine any time soon. I will take them throughout my pregnancy xx

That's great to hear. Did you take any benzos during pregnancy? I just spoke to my pdoc and he said to stay on my 40mg prozac.
He wants me to go down to .5mg klonopin for 3 days and then quit. I'm so nervous to go cold turkey. I might just wait for my OB to tell me what to do.

I've read about so many healthy babies coming out of pregnancies with benzos and anti-depressants!

I have the same concerns with my meds. I take 7.5mg mirtazapine (an antidepressant) and am currently almost off my ambien. My dr. said definitely no ambien but she said today that if the benefits are outweighing the risks with my mirtazapine then it is better that I continue it. I still haven't decided whether or not to wean off the mirtazapine. I don't see the lady who prescribed it anymore (she is an absolute horror) but I have plenty for now so we will see how I feel a bit later.

It has actually been easier getting off the ambien by slowly tapering off. I started with 10mg, the dose I've been on for years, cut that to 5mg, then 2.5mg, now I'm on 1.25mg (a quarter of a 5mg pill). I am about to come off it completely. I've been tapering for te duration of this pregnancy. See if your dr will let you because I'd say that's better for you and the baby. In fact that's how it is recommended you discontinue drugs like benzos and hypnotics whether or not you're pregnant. Withdrawals are too stressful for you both. If I had gone cold turkey off the ambien I would have been a wreck.

Thanks very much for this post - so glad to see other mamas-to-be in the same boat (well I'm not, but you know what I mean!) :hugs:

I have an anxiety disorder too, and have just weaned off Citalopram - had been on 20mg for about a year. I came off it as I had been feeling much, much better for months.

However I didn't take into account how different I would feel when pregnant; hormones, new anxieties, and having been diagnosed with hyperemesis hasn't helped either. I am really worried I will not bond with the baby, I'll hate being a mother, I'll get PND and not be able to take care of the baby... all sorts of random things that you worry about when you have an anxiety disorder :wacko:

I'm seeing my GP again on Monday for the HG, so I will be asking to go back on some meds. Trying not to see this as a step backwards, but necessary really for both baby and me.

Thanks very much for this post - so glad to see other mamas-to-be in the same boat (well I'm not, but you know what I mean!) :hugs:

I have an anxiety disorder too, and have just weaned off Citalopram - had been on 20mg for about a year. I came off it as I had been feeling much, much better for months.

However I didn't take into account how different I would feel when pregnant; hormones, new anxieties, and having been diagnosed with hyperemesis hasn't helped either. I am really worried I will not bond with the baby, I'll hate being a mother, I'll get PND and not be able to take care of the baby... all sorts of random things that you worry about when you have an anxiety disorder :wacko:

I'm seeing my GP again on Monday for the HG, so I will be asking to go back on some meds. Trying not to see this as a step backwards, but necessary really for both baby and me.

I just responded to your thread about anxiety and depression only to see that you responded to my thread! We've got this, lady! We made the choice to have a baby because we know it is what we want. Do not fear what you do not know. It is so much easier said than done, but I have learned that I just drive myself nuts when I think about all of the "what if's". Just know I am always here to chat if you need an ear!

Benzos are very difficult to get off of, especially if you are on daily therapy with them. However, your doctor wants you off of them for a reason. However, this is interesting:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7881198

It seemed so easy when TTC!

We are about 6 days apart, which is nice :)

Maybe your doctor can suggest something else if you're not able to continue on your current meds?

Benzos are very difficult to get off of, especially if you are on daily therapy with them. However, your doctor wants you off of them for a reason. However, this is interesting:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7881198

I've read so many similar reports, stating that a benzo is not exactly proven to be harmful to the fetus in the first trimester. I know I can definitely get off of the medication, but my psychiatrist felt I needed to be off of it NOW. I think I'm going to discuss it further with my OB tomorrow to see if I can take a little bit longer with coming off of the klonopin.

I'd talk to your OB, they are more of an expert in pregnancy than your psychiatrist, who may just worry about liability issues for having you on an Rx that might cause issues.

Of course, my last OB wouldn't even prescribe benzos as an entire class of drugs because he thought everyone gets addicted to them and they are horrible...so I go to my GP for them. My new OB is aware of my Rx and has just asked if I'm still taking them every time I go in, I'm not so I always say no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->