Cloth bum tips & tricks etc

saraendepity

Daisy's Mummy and TTC!
Reaction score
well following on from a thread started by plum fairy i think we need a place for all cloth bum virgins to take on our wealth of knowlege !!

if anyone wants to know anything about cloth or has questions this is the place to come!!!!!

:thumbup::thumbup:

xxxxxxxxxx

I'm curious... how do you store the soiled cloth diapers? Wet pail, dry pail? Do you rinse? Rinse before washing? Do an extra wash?

As it stands, I leave mine in a dry pail. (I have Bumgenius 3.0's) I don't rinse unless she's pooped. It's a pretty potent ammonia smell when I open the cover of the pail. I don't care so much, but my OH hates it (and cloth diapers were initially HIS idea!!! :rofl:)

Just wanted to see what everyone else does. :)

I'm curious... how do you store the soiled cloth diapers? Wet pail, dry pail? Do you rinse? Rinse before washing? Do an extra wash?

As it stands, I leave mine in a dry pail. (I have Bumgenius 3.0's) I don't rinse unless she's pooped. It's a pretty potent ammonia smell when I open the cover of the pail. I don't care so much, but my OH hates it (and cloth diapers were initially HIS idea!!! :rofl:)

Just wanted to see what everyone else does. :)

For dirty ones I have a diaper sprayer and spray them off, the if it's a pocket, shake out the insert into the pail (trash can with a pail liner), if it's a fitted I unsnap the soaker...just take the diaper fully apart and put it in there. I never leave them in there for more than a couple days. I don't spray off pee diapers though, I just take them apart and put them in there. I have found that BumGenius inserts are terrible for ammonia smell though, we had the same problem and I'm on a cloth forum that lots of them on there have too. I ended up getting rid of all of mine and replacing them with more fuzzi bunz and bg organic aio instead of the pockets. But you can also get some pail powder to help get rid of the smell, but mine ended up having ammonia build up and caused terrible rashes/burns on him

That's interesting - so you don't use BG V3's now?

x

we're developing a strong smell from the BG's aswell. it's pretty whiffy! not so sure what to do about it or whats in the nappy that causes it apart from the obvious :laugh2:

we're developing a strong smell from the BG's aswell. it's pretty whiffy! not so sure what to do about it or whats in the nappy that causes it apart from the obvious :laugh2:

Add a little bicarb to your washing powder next time you wash them but be sure to put some white vinegar in the softener drawer to rinse them so it corrected the pH of the fabrics otherwise baby might get a sore bum

This should get rid of the smells. Don't do this every wash, just once in a while when the smell builds up :)

HTH

Oh god I dont like the sound of bum burns!! Do they still smell even if you wash them every day? x

I don't know, I washed every 2-3 days and it still happened. I tried all the tricks, like vinegar, even bleaching the inserts, stripped them all of that, nothing ever worked for more than 1-2 uses so I got rid of them. I don't use any of the V3 pockets anymore...the only BG I have right now are the organic aio with snaps

I'm sorry :( They were great up until the stink happened, I'd say for us it took about 6mo, and I used one everyday as it was our nighttime diaper and then occasionally during the day we used them too

Better to know beforehand though right? If your looking for more pockets, I bought my fuzzi bunz at the same time, used them even more than the BG and never had that issue. And I've had the organic aio BG for now about 3-4mo? And no issues at all, I love those. Plus they fit trimmer which is nice

yeah i agree about fuzzi's i have one n i really love it !!

gonna keep a nose out for my v3 getting whiffy now thanks 4 the warning!

xxxxxxxx

So far, I haven't had too bad of a problem with my BG v3's. I have yet to try anything else though, so I dunno. :shrug:

I'm looking into some different ones, just to see. My biggest complaint with BG is that there aren't any nifty patters or anything. I like being able to show them off!

yeah i agree tyff they should definately do some patterns/prints!! check out fuzzy bunz - they hae just brought out some lovely daisy prints !! i have the btp one in purple and its a really good fit and great quality:thumbup:

sara

xxxxxxxxxxx

I love the happy heinys. They are similar to the BG but the velcro has a wider range and there are 4 rise settings. They also have tons of colours and a few prints. I think I will get a few more. I just found this site too, I may order a few to test them out.

oh ladies - i'm sorry i have soooooo many questions this morning :blush:

firstly - i quickly took my new itti bitti apart to wash first of all, and when i put it back together i don't think i put the inserts back correctly :dohh: it came with two intserts - a long one and a wider one for folding - how do i do it as it bunched up under her yesterday :dohh:

also - i no you all talk about additional add ons? are they AIO?? and do you use them with blueberrys? i think maddi is quite a heavy wetter as she drinks so much, so what do you suggest for this?

and finally - i was reading back on the pail issues - do you feel your pail with cold water and leave to soak? i plan to wash every night as i'm still building up our stash :happydance: and also - mo3 - you spoke about a spray for the dirty ones! can we get this over here UK ladies? do you use it?

phew, down! :rofl:

thanks ladies! i feel soooooooo clueless and stupid! :blush: so glad you are all a fountain of knowledge!

and yep - before you ask - i'm addicted :happydance:

oh ladies - i'm sorry i have soooooo many questions this morning :blush:

firstly - i quickly took my new itti bitti apart to wash first of all, and when i put it back together i don't think i put the inserts back correctly :dohh: it came with two intserts - a long one and a wider one for folding - how do i do it as it bunched up under her yesterday :dohh:

also - i no you all talk about additional add ons? are they AIO?? and do you use them with blueberrys? i think maddi is quite a heavy wetter as she drinks so much, so what do you suggest for this?

and finally - i was reading back on the pail issues - do you feel your pail with cold water and leave to soak? i plan to wash every night as i'm still building up our stash :happydance: and also - mo3 - you spoke about a spray for the dirty ones! can we get this over here UK ladies? do you use it?

phew, down! :rofl:

thanks ladies! i feel soooooooo clueless and stupid! :blush: so glad you are all a fountain of knowledge!

and yep - before you ask - i'm addicted :happydance:

ooh im glad you asked about the soaking and also the spray... ive been wondering this too. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->