Cloth Diapers/Nappies

hivechild

Mummy to Ronan
Reaction score
When did they get so complicated?! :shrug:

I've been thinking about doing a combination of using cloth and disposables (the latter for if we're out and about, or when he's with grandma etc.) but it all looks so complicated and there are so many choices! My mum used cloth nappies for all of us kids and they were just the plain old terry cloth ones that I actually know how to fold and pin but I guess they're just not good enough anymore!

I know I was looking in to cloth diapers a couple weeks ago and gave up... not only are there so many choices... they're flippin expensive!

They are expensive to start, but in the long run you save alot of money and you can always save them for another baby. Alot of people use the plain pre-old diapers for the newborn stage still, there are these snaps you can buy now instead of the pins so it makes if alot easier.

plus there are many other good things about them, the environmental factor to begin with, and also less diaper rash.

Cloth seems daunting at first, but really it is not that confusing once you get into it. Hivechild - They still make the old school prefold cloth diapers (the ones my mum used). I use these on and off and they work well but OH gets a bit frustrated with them. I highly recommend getting a "starter pack" or buying a few kinds once LO is here and testing them out. Like disposables, you will find that certain kinds fit your LO much better than others - and then you will know which ones to buy. Once you get to know them, you can get a few at a time and slowly phase out the disposables. I ended up doing this, since LO was early and the reusables don't fit babies under 8lbs too well. CLoth does have a start-up cost, since with cloth you buy a bunch at once rather than a pack at a time - but in the end it is cheaper to go with cloth. And did I mention cloth diapers are cute to the extreme?? LOL
Check out the natural parenting section - lots of great info there!!!

Hi there. I had the same problems choosing, and I had to consult a fair few mummy friends to make my final choice!

There were lots of pros for the disposables, quick, easy, always available and less hassle, and there were also a lot for the cloth kind - cheaper over time, better for the environment, kinder to babies bums etc.

The main thing that made up my mind, was when one of the most organised ladies I know (the kind who has her holiday pictures in albums the day after they land) said she couldn't keep up with all the washing/drying etc...If she couldn't manage, there was no way I was going to!
She also happened to mention that the cloth kind are very bulky, and depending on which ones you buy, they can be hard to get small babies trousers over.

Obviously, I would prefer to go with cloth nappies, but I know myself well enough that I would struggle to contend with them, so I am going along with the eco disposables, which apparently contain less chemicals, (and require less to make them) and also biodegrade quicker than a standard brand nappy. I feel a bit better knowing i'm still doing my bit for the environment, however small!

Sorry to go on, it's just that I looked into this for weeks and weeks before I could decide, and have only just bought a pack for my hospital bag!! Good luck with your decision! xxx

i used disposables when out and about and used koshies at home, i found koshies good as they are an all-in one nappy, MIL used terry towels when looking after my son.

The natural parenting forum here is awesome for help with cloth nappies...lots of mums to fluffy bums there.

Me and Hubby are going to use cloth and disposibles for when we're away/out and about...we've gone for the BumGenius V3 as they're birth to potty, all in one (no wraps needed) and made from microfibre so they're quick drying (and very cute colors)....we're not in it to be all natural and organic like some so microfibre is good as it dried quickly!

We're doing it to save money and the fact our rubbish is only collected every fortnight...can you imagine 2 weeks worth of nappies plus all your normal rubbish?? ppeeewwwwwwwww!!

im hoping to go fluffybum with this baby i tried for a while with DS and come summer will be putting him back into cloth to help spur him into toilet training but im not going to buy till closer to the time caus ds is a big boy so will have to be careful which ones i get as i dont want him outgrowing them

Im hoping to go cloth but only once buba is a teeny bit bigger than newborn! So im going to use disposables while im finding my feet as this is my first bubs...

but my friend sarah is an expert of cloth and reccomended this website as it sorts out nappies by what you require...drying time, size, fit etc etc...thought id share it as its really helped me get my head around it all!!

https://www.cheeksandcherries.co.uk/

I bought a pack of bum genius organics, cause a big reason was to have natural fibres to avoid rashes. These got lots of good reviews, and seemed to be an overall favourite cause they are one size newborn to toddler.

Will buy some flat terry cotton nappies in case bubs is too small to start with though, and as spares for when the washing is all too much!

I'm going to use disposibles for the first week or 2 until I find my feet a bit too...dont fancy trying to scrape those first poo's off of fabric lol!

We've got a couple of different ones to try out and will then stock up when we've decided which ones we like best.

My friend said that she found plain old flat terry-nappies the easiest at newborn stage.

This is probably only for those who like me have a lot of time and little money, but I have made most of my nappies. I got the pattern online (there are a few different ones free to download, and a few sites where you can buy patterns), and then went about finding cheap (but soft) fabric in bargain boxes.

I reckon I spent about 2 -3 euro's per nappy all inclusive.

I've chosen a 3 part system - inner soaker, fitted, sized nappy and separate PUL cover. For night time I've made some wool covers.

Baby isn't here yet, so who knows if they'll fit and function like I'm hoping they will, but they do look cute.

I chose sized nappies instead of one size fits all to try and get around that tiny baby/huge nappy problem. I'm sure she'll grow out of the size 0's in no time, but at E2 each they're still way cheaper than disposables and no trapsing to the shops.

Can't wait to try them:baby:

Goosie

Oh so many decisions to make!

I really want to give it a try even though I know it'll be more work even if I intend to do a combination. I've seen a few trial kits that I think I'll pick up to see how they work!

Goosie, I admire your dedication but I don't know where I'd find the time or the energy to be making my own right now! You should take some pictures to share of what you've done, though. I'd love to see them!

I've found a local nappy laundering service, they supply and wash nappies for £9 per week (dirty ones collected and clean delivered). Don't have to buy any nappies, they will change up to next size when ready and include free extra nappies if you need more (if baby is ill). As an added bonus my local council will subsidise half the cost for the first 12 weeks (apparently other councils are doing even more). I will have some disposables for hosp and when out and about but hopefully we're sorted (get a 1 month trial in case we don't llike them) xx

I've found a local nappy laundering service, they supply and wash nappies for £9 per week (dirty ones collected and clean delivered). Don't have to buy any nappies, they will change up to next size when ready and include free extra nappies if you need more (if baby is ill). As an added bonus my local council will subsidise half the cost for the first 12 weeks (apparently other councils are doing even more). I will have some disposables for hosp and when out and about but hopefully we're sorted (get a 1 month trial in case we don't llike them) xx

We're also going to use a cloth diaper service the first few weeks. It's not horribly expensive and it will let us try out cloth diapering without having to make a big investment at first.

I found a couple of brands that make bamboo cloth diapers. I was interested in those because I have really sensitive, rash-prone skin and bamboo is good on me. I figured it might work well on baby, too. It's also hyper-absorbant.

We're going for cloth diapers too. One of my friend is using them wo she was able to give me some very good advice. She's not the most organised person and she manages very well! Honestly, it doesn't really seem much of a hassle. My reasons for using cloth are mostly environmental but I'm glad I won't have a smelly bin somewhere in the apartment... ;)

We're going to use disposable the first few weeks and then will switch to cloth. I mostly bought All-in-ones but not the one size fits all system, which I don't trust. It always ends up in neither size fits, imo!

From what I've read, every baby is unique and every parent is too! So it's best to experiment with different kinds of nappies and choose what you prefer. You can rent nappies or buy them second hand so they don't cost you that much. :)

I wish we had a diaper service close by and affordable because I'd totally give it a try if they did, but alas they all seem quite distant to where I am from what I've found in looking! Bah!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->