Cloth diapers

Maries_s

Reaction score
I need some advice.
My sister want me to try cloth diapers and I'm really curious about it but at the same time a little scared of the outcome. DH is not onboard and keep telling is a bad idea but I'm willing to try.
What are you experiences?
What are the downsides?
What are the advantages?
It is really hard to change cloth diaper when there's poop in it? (My mayor worrisome)
Do you have any suggestions of what brand is good?
Can I use the dryer machine?

I don't have personal experience yet, but we are planning to cloth diaper when this baby comes. I've watched a lot of YouTube videos on it and those have been really helpful in giving a realistic look at what cloth diapering is like! Sorry DH isn't on board. :/ Hopefully he'll come around.

Not sure if you have Pinterest, but there are hundreds of blogs on cloth diapering there! I've been researching it quite a bit, I plan to try it with this one :)

Thank you ladies I will look your suggestions. Did you have any concerns? What motivated you to try?

For me, I'm going to be a SAHM starting this summer, so it makes sense to do something that saves so much money. Plus its better for baby, I didn't realize the amount of chemicals that were in disposables.... and the fact that it helps the environment is also very encouraging. But to be honest? BECAUSE THEYRE SO CUTE!!!

Thank you ladies I will look your suggestions. Did you have any concerns? What motivated you to try?

I want to because it'll be cheaper in the long run, although it might be a bigger cost up front. You can use the same set for multiple children. My main concern is the amount of work it takes to clean them, especially poopy diapers. But from what I've seen and friends I've talked to, it really isn't that much extra work.

Used them from day 1 with my first - if you that's how you start, you don't know any different. I bought Bambooty sized nappies and the small has done 4 kids, the medium both my boys and my youngest is just 3 and refusing to toilet train (lazy but that's a whole other thing!).

In relation to changing poopy nappy, it's no harder than disposable and I found the cloth don't smell as much as the disposable - I can smell a poop in a disposable from a million miles :sick: While baby's are on liquid only diet, the poop is pretty much liquid too! I just used to rinse (either in a bucket or the machine) then do a normal wash with bicarb soda (no detergent). Super easy. Probably had to do a wash every other day with a new born but now with my 3yo I wash twice a week. I try to line dry because using the dryer is expensive, damages the nappies and kind of offsets the environmentally friendly aspect in my mind.

What are the downsides? I guess the upfront cost. If you can afford to take the hit at once you should be in front financially inside 12 months.

The advantages - cost (amplified if you plan on having more than 1 baby but still substantial savings with a single child), environmentally friendly, easy (my dad can use them), kinder on baby's skin (I wouldn't like my bum wrapped in plastic all day).

Thank you all! I've been reading as you suggested and looking for good brand of cloth diapers and I decided to give it a try. My downside now is that I regret to haven't started sooner with my DD and this baby is probably my last one. However, the savings costs are huge and I'm currently an SAHM so it shouldn't be a problem. Also, I checked on Pinterest and they are a tons of suggestions to cloth diapering while living in an apartment. (My case now).
What are the best cloth diapers for newborn?

From what I've read (haven't been able to try it yet) it's best to buy brands that carry newborn sizes. I decided I would use disposables for the first month (because those first few weeks when sleep is precious I don't want to deal with laundry or learning diapers, plus the cord is there). Most diapers start at 8lbs so I figure after the first month or so they'll start to fit. I'm putting a variety of styles/brands on my Amazon baby registry so I can try different types. I plan to order some this month and try them on DD2 while we start potty training :)

From what I've read (haven't been able to try it yet) it's best to buy brands that carry newborn sizes. I decided I would use disposables for the first month (because those first few weeks when sleep is precious I don't want to deal with laundry or learning diapers, plus the cord is there). Most diapers start at 8lbs so I figure after the first month or so they'll start to fit. I'm putting a variety of styles/brands on my Amazon baby registry so I can try different types. I plan to order some this month and try them on DD2 while we start potty training :)

That's exactly what I was planning to do until my DH is refusing to Cloth diapering. :growlmad:
I didn't want to expend on cloth diapers when baby is a newborn since I read it requires approximately 36 diapers and the usual stash for one sizes is 24. So it would be a lot of money for such a short amount of time. Did you find good brand on Amazon? What I found on Amazon mostly are the brand from china and this doesn't last much or hold well.

I went off the brands people had listed in their blog, most had a link to Amazon. Other brands you have to order from different sites so I may do that, i like the mushy momma site and kellyscloset.Are you talking about the Alvababy? Because I know they're from China but they actually have pretty good reviews and several of the bloggers recommended them.

We've been cloth diapering since my DD was 6 weeks old, and we just bought some more diapers for when this new baby comes along as they will both be in diapers for probably at least a year. My sister gave me 24 BumGenious pocket diapers that she used for all three of her kids. I found that was just enough so that I did one load of laundry every other day. I just bought an additional 24 Bamboo Baby all in one diapers second hand for $50. Now that we have 48 diapers and only 1 child in them I can go 4-5 days without doing a load of wash. If you really want to save money, then I strongly recommend buying second hand. Some people think it's gross, but you can strip wash them back to brand new condition (from a cleanliness perspective) and your baby is just going to pee and poop in them anyways! You can do a strip wash at home for about $5. We will have diapered 2 babies for $50 which I think it pretty awesome. We also use cloth wipes, I figured if I was already going to be washing diapers I might as well do the wipes too. I bought some off amazon (I think it was like $8 for a package of 25), and I also just cut up some cheap baby blankets that were gifted to us but we never used. We have a little spray bottle of water on the change table and we just give her a spray and then wipe her down with the cloth wipe which goes into the dirty bucket with the dirty diapers.

Downsides would be that it takes longer to change a diaper I guess. We keep the diapers and dirty diaper bucket in DD's bedroom, so when she needs to be changed we have to take her down to her room. My sister thinks this would be a massive inconvenience but it has never bothered us, it's all we've really known. It also takes longer to change a poop diaper because you have to rinse it out instead of just chucking it in the garbage. Also if baby needs to be changed while you are out of the house you then have to carry a wet or poopy diaper around with you until you get home. I have a wet bag in the diaper bag for this reason, and it really traps the smell in so you can't smell that I have a poopy diaper in my bag. Some people use cloth diapers when at home, but disposable diapers when they leave the house to avoid this issue. We send DD to daycare with cloth diapers and the daycare provider was hesitant at first because she thought the poopy diapers would stink up the room, but she said you can't smell them at all. We don't ask her to rinse them out or anything, she just puts them straight into the wet bag and my OH deals with them when he gets home (he's the one who picks her up from daycare). That's all I can really think of for downsides.

Advantages are many, first there's obviously the cost savings. We have a well so we don't pay for the water to wash them, and we hang dry them outside whenever the weather is warm enough. Through the winter we either use the dryer machine or hang them to dry inside. Usually we put the all in one diapers and the inserts for the pocket diapers in the dryer and hang dry the pocket diaper shells. Hanging the diapers in the sun gets out any poop stains which is another reason to line dry if possible. We have way fewer poop explosions and leaks in cloth diapers as compared to when we use disposables (like when we go on vacation). She is WAY less stinky when she poops in a cloth diaper. I have no idea why, but disposable diapers seem to really amplify the stench of poop. We never have to worry about running out of diapers or going to the store at weird hours of the night to get more. DD doesn't get diaper rashes (aside from one super acidic poop that scalded her) and we don't have to spend money on rash creams.

Honestly, changing poopy cloth diapers is not my favourite thing to do, but it's 5 minutes out of my day so really isn't a big deal. Everyone finds their own way that works for them. You can get a sprayer attachment for your toilet so you spray the diapers out into the toilet to flush the poop down. Other people buy the flushable liners that sit in the diapers so you just pick up the liners containing the poop and flush that down the toilet. We have a little spatula thingy in the bathroom that we use to scrape the poop off into the toilet, then we take the diaper to the laundry sink to rinse it out. The sink has a built in scrub board on the inside of it so we give the diaper a scrub, ring out the water, and then put the diaper into a bucket ready to go in the wash with the next load of diapers. Then we give the spatula a wash and put it back in the bathroom ready for the next poopy diaper. Breastmilk poop is water soluble and liquid so it doesn't even need to be scraped down the toilet, it can just be washed straight down the sink (or put straight into the washing machine). It's only when they start solids that the poop gets stinky and more of a pain to deal with. When DD was a little baby we would just put her down in her crib while we rinsed out her diaper, now she is old enough to walk around and play with her toys while we are dealing with her mess.

It really sucks that your OH isn't on board. I would have still used the cloth even if my OH didn't want to, but it sure is nice to not be the only one with the responsibility of it all. When I was on maternity leave I almost always washed the diapers because I was home all day, but now that I am back at work I would say my OH does more diaper washes than I do.

Fluff Love University has so much great info about diapers and washing them and troubleshooting. Check them out at https://www.fluffloveuniversity.com.

Thank you Jess! I was looking into secondhand diapers so this helps :)

We've been cloth diapering since my DD was 6 weeks old, and we just bought some more diapers for when this new baby comes along as they will both be in diapers for probably at least a year. My sister gave me 24 BumGenious pocket diapers that she used for all three of her kids. I found that was just enough so that I did one load of laundry every other day. I just bought an additional 24 Bamboo Baby all in one diapers second hand for $50. Now that we have 48 diapers and only 1 child in them I can go 4-5 days without doing a load of wash. If you really want to save money, then I strongly recommend buying second hand. Some people think it's gross, but you can strip wash them back to brand new condition (from a cleanliness perspective) and your baby is just going to pee and poop in them anyways! You can do a strip wash at home for about $5. We will have diapered 2 babies for $50 which I think it pretty awesome. We also use cloth wipes, I figured if I was already going to be washing diapers I might as well do the wipes too. I bought some off amazon (I think it was like $8 for a package of 25), and I also just cut up some cheap baby blankets that were gifted to us but we never used. We have a little spray bottle of water on the change table and we just give her a spray and then wipe her down with the cloth wipe which goes into the dirty bucket with the dirty diapers.

Downsides would be that it takes longer to change a diaper I guess. We keep the diapers and dirty diaper bucket in DD's bedroom, so when she needs to be changed we have to take her down to her room. My sister thinks this would be a massive inconvenience but it has never bothered us, it's all we've really known. It also takes longer to change a poop diaper because you have to rinse it out instead of just chucking it in the garbage. Also if baby needs to be changed while you are out of the house you then have to carry a wet or poopy diaper around with you until you get home. I have a wet bag in the diaper bag for this reason, and it really traps the smell in so you can't smell that I have a poopy diaper in my bag. Some people use cloth diapers when at home, but disposable diapers when they leave the house to avoid this issue. We send DD to daycare with cloth diapers and the daycare provider was hesitant at first because she thought the poopy diapers would stink up the room, but she said you can't smell them at all. We don't ask her to rinse them out or anything, she just puts them straight into the wet bag and my OH deals with them when he gets home (he's the one who picks her up from daycare). That's all I can really think of for downsides.

Advantages are many, first there's obviously the cost savings. We have a well so we don't pay for the water to wash them, and we hang dry them outside whenever the weather is warm enough. Through the winter we either use the dryer machine or hang them to dry inside. Usually we put the all in one diapers and the inserts for the pocket diapers in the dryer and hang dry the pocket diaper shells. Hanging the diapers in the sun gets out any poop stains which is another reason to line dry if possible. We have way fewer poop explosions and leaks in cloth diapers as compared to when we use disposables (like when we go on vacation). She is WAY less stinky when she poops in a cloth diaper. I have no idea why, but disposable diapers seem to really amplify the stench of poop. We never have to worry about running out of diapers or going to the store at weird hours of the night to get more. DD doesn't get diaper rashes (aside from one super acidic poop that scalded her) and we don't have to spend money on rash creams.

Honestly, changing poopy cloth diapers is not my favourite thing to do, but it's 5 minutes out of my day so really isn't a big deal. Everyone finds their own way that works for them. You can get a sprayer attachment for your toilet so you spray the diapers out into the toilet to flush the poop down. Other people buy the flushable liners that sit in the diapers so you just pick up the liners containing the poop and flush that down the toilet. We have a little spatula thingy in the bathroom that we use to scrape the poop off into the toilet, then we take the diaper to the laundry sink to rinse it out. The sink has a built in scrub board on the inside of it so we give the diaper a scrub, ring out the water, and then put the diaper into a bucket ready to go in the wash with the next load of diapers. Then we give the spatula a wash and put it back in the bathroom ready for the next poopy diaper. Breastmilk poop is water soluble and liquid so it doesn't even need to be scraped down the toilet, it can just be washed straight down the sink (or put straight into the washing machine). It's only when they start solids that the poop gets stinky and more of a pain to deal with. When DD was a little baby we would just put her down in her crib while we rinsed out her diaper, now she is old enough to walk around and play with her toys while we are dealing with her mess.

It really sucks that your OH isn't on board. I would have still used the cloth even if my OH didn't want to, but it sure is nice to not be the only one with the responsibility of it all. When I was on maternity leave I almost always washed the diapers because I was home all day, but now that I am back at work I would say my OH does more diaper washes than I do.

Fluff Love University has so much great info about diapers and washing them and troubleshooting. Check them out at https://www.fluffloveuniversity.com.

Thank you for your well detailed information! Now I have a bunch of questions for you. :blush:

Did you stick only with AIO diapers or did you invest in prefolds and covers? I thought prefolds was very hard but after watching some videos I'm convinced this is a good option for newborn and then use the prefold as inserts in the pockets.

How do you strip wash you diapers? I heard the only way to killing bacterias is with bleach but I'm afraid of damaging my cute Cloth diapers with this method.

Did you mind if a share the shopping list for my stash and you tell me if I'm in the right path or just expending too much?

DH still isn't on board but I managed to make a deal with him. He is going to let me try if I return to the vegetarian diet. That's was my plan anyway after the baby's come :haha:

Marie a lot of women mentioned "Rockin green funk rock" to use for stripping. You can find it on Amazon:) i pinterested (can you tell I'm an addict?) diaper stripping and found a lot of helpful tutorials. oooo I love the idea of prefolds/covers for newborns! Way cheaper than buying newborn sizes right? I may steal that idea! Love your deal with hubby!

Marie a lot of women mentioned "Rockin green funk rock" to use for stripping. You can find it on Amazon:) i pinterested (can you tell I'm an addict?) diaper stripping and found a lot of helpful tutorials. oooo I love the idea of prefolds/covers for newborns! Way cheaper than buying newborn sizes right? I may steal that idea! Love your deal with hubby!
My sister told me that if you use a detergent that is safe for cloth diapers there's not need for stripping. Also, that when you use normal detergent such as Tide (number one brand recommended on some websites) this is what caused the damages on the CD.
I have the rock green detergent on my list already!
I'm not so excited for my deal with DH since this pregnancy make me crave only for meat. :haha: however, I'm looking forward to return to my vegetarian diet.

My understanding was you only needed to strip new diapers, secondhand, and if they get a funky smell, but maybe some of that is preference :shrug: I'll probably strip them with the funkrock when I purchase them just to make me feel safe that they're clean lol
that's good to know about tide. We don't buy it because it's too expensive anyway lol Did your sister do cloth as well?
I feel you on the meat front, I'm not a vegetarian but I crave cheeseburgers like it's cool:haha:

My understanding was you only needed to strip new diapers, secondhand, and if they get a funky smell, but maybe some of that is preference :shrug: I'll probably strip them with the funkrock when I purchase them just to make me feel safe that they're clean lol
that's good to know about de. We don't buy it because it's too expensive anyway lol Did your sister do cloth as well?
I feel you on the meat front, I'm not a vegetarian but I crave cheeseburgers like it's cool:haha:

Yes my niece is about 2 years old now but she Cloth diaper from the beginning and now she is potty training but still CDing.
You are right about the wash strip cloth diaper. I just heard you have to do that with use CD and if they get the smell. However, I never heard about strip wash with new diapers though. :shrug:
I am just asking all that kind of stuff because I want to prepare ahead. :haha: I heard fun bloopers about newbies and I don't want be in that group. :haha:

Have you watched clothdiapering 101 by NaturallyThriftyMom on YouTube? I found her lessons super helpful! Oh I totally agree about trying to be prepared ahead of time!

Have you watched clothdiapering 101 by NaturallyThriftyMom on YouTube? I found her lessons super helpful! Oh I totally agree about trying to be prepared ahead of time!

No I haven't. On YouTube I watched the cloth diapering 101 class from plus1please. The tittle of her videos are Types of cloth diapers (and How to use them), all about poop (and cloth diapers) and how to wash cloth diapers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->