cloth nappies or disposables???

chickie_115

mum of 1 and stepmum to 2
Reaction score
My cousin is due her baby anyday now and she has decided to use cloth nappies, are any of u girls planning on using them? I'm not sure, it's quite expensive to buy the starter pack she got only to find a wk down the line i'd rather use disposables??? :dohh: Oh dear i've lots of choices to make lol :dohh:

Hmmmm think I'd rather disposables. Don't you re-use cloth ones???? What if it's a rather messy one???? The easier I can get rid of them the quicker the better haha.

I know my mum used terry towelling ones when I was a baby and I even had one to put on a doll. Who knows what I'd done in it previously.....

My mom used clothe diapers for all three of us kids she said no one even knew the difference she kept up on em really well. I personally will NOT be using em, wayyyyyyyy more convient to use huggy diapers LOL.

You could always use both :winkwink:

I love cloth nappies. Really, really easy to use (contrary to popular belief) and really soft against your babies skin. They are all really well designed now too, so no faffing with bits of cloth and pins if you don't want too :lol: Plus they come in loads of funky designs and colours....

https://www.cyberstrawberry.co.uk/acatalog/blueberrytwo.jpg

https://kindbehind.co.uk/images/bboscow.jpg

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wukMk53BlwQ/R896hMOgKDI/AAAAAAAAAEw/6cg1-Gv2wB4/s400/lani+stash.jpg

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wukMk53BlwQ/R896hsOgKFI/AAAAAAAAAFA/ksdQi33GrY8/s400/Evie+and+Jetts+covers+2.jpg

Hmmmm think I'd rather disposables. Don't you re-use cloth ones???? What if it's a rather messy one???? The easier I can get rid of them the quicker the better

thats what I was thinking, I mean what if ure out at the shops and you get a stinker?? R u supposed to run about with a big old bag of poo filled nappy???:headspin:

lololol

You could always use both :winkwink:

I love cloth nappies. Really, really easy to use (contrary to popular belief) and really soft against your babies skin. They are all really well designed now too, so no faffing with bits of cloth and pins if you don't want too :lol: Plus they come in loads of funky designs and colours....

https://www.cyberstrawberry.co.uk/acatalog/blueberrytwo.jpg

https://kindbehind.co.uk/images/bboscow.jpg

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wukMk53BlwQ/R896hMOgKDI/AAAAAAAAAEw/6cg1-Gv2wB4/s400/lani+stash.jpg

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wukMk53BlwQ/R896hsOgKFI/AAAAAAAAAFA/ksdQi33GrY8/s400/Evie+and+Jetts+covers+2.jpg

Oh they're just gorgeous, not what my cousin has at all!!!

Come over to the natural parenting board and we'll convert you in no time :rofl:

With poo nappies, you can use a liner which you just flush down the toilet. Then you put the nappy in a pail. I 'wet pail' my nappies, so my pail has warm water and nappy sanitiser in it. If you use a liner it catches 99% of everything and then you soak them in the pail. Every couple of days (and it never smells at all due to the sanitiser) you put them in your washing machine and it just goes on a rinse cycle! They will already have been mostly cleaned in the pail.

Then you can either tumble dry them, or hang them out depending on the brand.

I really don't notice a difference in regards to how much washing I do either. You do a lot with a new baby, and one extra load every couple of days is nothing!

You can also get cloth nappies that have disposable inner bits for when you're out, so you can just chuck them in the bin but they are still much softer than a disposable nappy :)

There are so many different types, and so many ways of doing things. The above post is what I find easiest though :)

AT the nursery i work at, theyre are lots of babies that use cloth ones, there not bad at all once you get used to them, im still yet to decide xx

I am will be using cloth diapers. With twins, disposables would cost me around $100/month. My batch of cloth diapers and toilet sprayer, etc. will cost me around $400 so I will break even in 4 months. I can't afford to do it any other way.

I'm against cloth diapers for the use of OUR children....

My SIL used them for her son (who is now a year and 1/2) and I had to babysit him for about 4 days. During this time, the diapers were washed (according to HER instructions) but they never came clean! They still stunk like urine, and you have to wash about a million pairs more of clothes, because if you leave it just a little bit too long to change him, if you're caught up with something else or someone or something, it leaks through their clothes!

In my opinion - they're not right for me.

Although they are absolutely beautiful the different designs and things. ♥

I just got 30+ second hand re-usables, like the ones that rafwife posted pictures of, from a friend. You can't even tell that they've been used before-clean up really nicely. They're so cute and look so easy to use. Even my DH did one up without any instructions needed!

I'll probably go for cloth nappies! They're less expense and better for the environnement. :) If it does't work for me, I'll swith to disposable and won't beat myself about it...

i've brought pre-loved reusable and a few new ones, they don't even look used they've been really well looked after.

i have brought about 14 different types as well (albeit only a few of each) just until we find which ones we like best then we'll sell on what we don't get on with.

i now own about 50 nappies (a good 3-4+ days worth) and it's cost the equivalent of 5 months worth of disposable nappies. not all of the nappies i have brought will it LO straight away but it will totally depend on birth weight. considering that our LO's will be in nappies for at least 36 months i find it really good value.

i totally believe the key is finding what works for you and LO, not all of the nappies are a good fit one every baby - they all differ in shape/size/build like we do.

I'm planning on using cloth nappies and environmentally friendly disposables when we go out places.
If disposable nappies take hundreds of years to break down, as they say they do, then that means that every single disposable nappy that has ever been made is still out there in landfill somewhere because it hasn't yet been hundreds of years since they started making them so none will have properly broken down yet!
Seeing as these babies wearing the nappies are the ones who will be inheriting this planet I think we need to be careful about what we're doing to it.

I am also aware that as a first time mum-to-be I have all these brilliant ideas about what I want, and the reality may turn out differently...

We've been talking about this a lot recently (myself and the OH) and we've decided we'll probs use both cloth and disposible. The designs on the cloth ones are so gorgeous :) plus it's nicer, cheaper and better for the environment but yes sometimes disposible will be easier if we're out places etc. So using both I think will suit us better :)

I'll probably go for cloth nappies! They're less expense and better for the environnement. :) If it does't work for me, I'll swith to disposable and won't beat myself about it...

My approach exactly!

Starting with cloth - have ordered a few types already, just one of each to start with. Will probably use disposables while out. The liners to catch the solids that flush down the loo are genious.

Oh, and another thing to think about with disposables is how often your rubbish is collected. If it's fortnightly that means two week old nappies at the bottom Mmmmm

I'm planning on using cloth nappies and environmentally friendly disposables when we go out places.
If disposable nappies take hundreds of years to break down, as they say they do, then that means that every single disposable nappy that has ever been made is still out there in landfill somewhere because it hasn't yet been hundreds of years since they started making them so none will have properly broken down yet!
Seeing as these babies wearing the nappies are the ones who will be inheriting this planet I think we need to be careful about what we're doing to it.

I am also aware that as a first time mum-to-be I have all these brilliant ideas about what I want, and the reality may turn out differently...

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I agree on both aspects of your post!

But I can't say it doesnt bug when people tell me "You'll see, you'll change your mind and won't want the extra work!"...

I was planning on using cloth nappies. but realisitically speaking, I know that I'm prob going to switch to disposeables anyway so I can't see the point in forking out money for the starter pack :/

Wee man will be in creche for a few hours a day from 8 weeks :( and for handiness sake, as well as saving my sanity, we will prob just have to use disposeable nappies. If I was going to be at home fulltime, I would love to use cloth nappies though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->