Cloth Nappies Thread

marley2580

Reaction score
I know this is a bit early to be asking, but I do like to be prepared :blush: I'm planning on using cloth nappies when the sprog arrives, but I hadn't realised that there was such a wide choice! I thought that you got Terries and that was it, but I had a look online and there's loads of different kinds :wacko: I was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction about what kind to use?

https://www.babyandbump.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50

There is a lot of stuff in there about nappies
i personally use, tots bots, weenotions, motherease, geobel and tots fluffles
all of these need a wrap with them
There is some really good deals out there but i found it best to try 1 of a certain brand rather than buying loads of the same as people get on with different ones differantly

For Example i have a minki pocket which i hate!!
I found this site helpful as well https://www.thenappylady.co.uk/

Cat also has a nappy diary somewhere :)

I've made this a sticky in here :D

Yay more clothy stuff :)

So do I have to wait until the sprog comes before I can decide what nappies to buy? I was hoping to 'persuade' the soon-to-be grandparents to buy me the nappies that I'll need.

Well personally i don't think you can go far wrong with Motherease birth to potty and with motherease wraps
The nappies fold down small and stuff, i din't use from birth so am sure others can advise better

You could always get the grandparents to buy you thing like liners, pail etc... and a few nappies until you decide which you like best, but it is an addictive thing and you'll end up with loads
Especially when you know the sex as there is beautiful stuff out there

you cant go wrong with weenotions and motherease, theyre fab!!

for a long time i was stubborn and used proper square terry nappies but i was just making more work for myself!!!!!

So.... the Motherease ones are just one size? Are they ok for newborns, particularly little ones like mine will probably be? Also, you just use a liner with them, there's no extra cover/wrap thingy?

Has anyone tried the Bambino Mio nappies? I quite like the look of them.

What do you use for a nappy bin and where did you get it from?

Had a bit of a result from our council yesterday. We get an allowance towards buying cloth nappies of £40 and it turns out to be £40 per child. £80 towards nappies will go a long way.... unless I end up an addict like Jo :rofl:

Ta

Oi you what you trying to say????:baby:

With the motherease you still need a wrap but they are birth to potty ones so fold down

I just use a little lidded pail for jacks but of course you will need something bigger

Weenotions do small nappies, a lot of places do newborn sizes

I did see a site that did twin packs, will see if can find that later for you

I think on Cats nappy trial she posted a link to a site that reccomend nappies to you, their are so many types you will get addled with it:wacko:

Jo, i think youd be more nuts if you lived here, im not far away from TotsBots HQ ;)

Jo, i think youd be more nuts if you lived here, im not far away from TotsBots HQ ;)

ooooh do thay have a factory shop??? cheapies??
eh? eh? do they? tell me!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hissy:

Oi you what you trying to say????:baby:

With the motherease you still need a wrap but they are birth to potty ones so fold down

Weenotions do small nappies, a lot of places do newborn sizes

No comment :roll:

Ahhh... seen the wraps now. Which are easier... the velcro ones or the poppers?

Had a look for a Weenotions website and it said it was closed until the end of May (?) :wacko:

Dunno really, i use both
Weenotions are poppers wihch i love as baby can't undo them as they get more mobile and touchy lol

Just found this site that do the wraps, but not nappies and they do tiny baby ones :)
https://mumzmall.co.uk/nappydashery/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3_4

Ohhh nappy thread!!!!!

I might be able to help with some questions!

Helen birth to potty nappies are great, they do tend to look very bulky on newborns, but as they are not moving around in terms of crawling etc its not a hindrence to them, and any myth you hear about giving them bandy legs, funny hips is coblers. However you may find that they are a bit to big for your newborns as they are normally best fort 8lb up to about 35lb. Also newborn meleconin poo is particulaly evil and stains nappies for all eternety, so you could always use disposies for the first few weeks, or alternativly a lot of birth to potty nappies like the tots bots also do a size 1 which covers ickle babies, you often see these pop up cheap on ebay as you dont use them for long untill they move up to the bigger size.

When looking for nappies you want to se what your priorities are if you want the most environmentally frindy, the most slim fitting, fastest drying etc. Personally I would say:
*All in ones are great for if your going to use a nursery or have reluctant family members help with changing, as they are very straightforward to use although very slow drying.
* 2 Part systems using a nappy and a wrap are normally the cheapest option, and still simple to use
*Pocket Nappies are great and slim fitting for toddlers and you can stuff them as little or as much as your child requires, but not normally very good for containing newborn baby poo, and especially if your buying proper inserts are normally the most expensive nappies, allthough as you remove the stuffing and you can just stuff them with terry squares they are very fast drying.
* Prefolds like bambino mios are normally what people try and put them off cloth for good, major pain in the arse for wriggly babies and containment is awfull, but they are very cheap.

When it comes to poppers or velcro, velcro allow for a wider range of fit as they are more adjustable, but poppers are more toddler friendly as some like to rip velcro off easily! So you might prefer velcro for a newborn where their weight and shape is changing a lot, and then opt for poppers as they get older. Also you can use nappy nippers on the nappy itself instead of trying to use pins! and bear in mind that velcro falls apart over time, so if you want your nappies to see you through more than one child you will either need to replace your velcro or opt for nippa or poper fastening.

Finally fabrics
*Bamboo is the most absorbent, soft to the touch and slim fitting as you dont need as much. On the downside it takes ages to dry so you need to power a dryer, or have plenty at hand to be able to have them drying for a couple of days at a time.

*Hemp Like bamboo this is very absorbent and very environmentally friendly as it doesnt require the same amount of fertilizers and pesisides as cotton to grow and is very sustainable. Only draw back is if you live in a hard water area in particular it can become quite stiff and crunchy with use.

*Cotton good old fashions terry, not as absorbent as the other two but faster drying can get bleached or unbleached.

*Microfibre, extremly fast drying so excellent if you dont have a dryer or want to save electricity, will dry indoors with a few hours! draw back is its a man made fibre, so not ideal if your wanting natural fibres against your childs skin, but also prob still less of an impact on the environment as your not needing to power a dryer every couple of days to dry your nappies!

Hope this info helps with your decision making!

lol cat what took you so long?????????????? haha

OK... had a consultation with nappy lady yesterday (quite impressed that she was prepared to come out and see us both on a Sunday). After much deliberation, we think we are probably going to go with Babybeehinds mostly the hemp ones with a few bamboo ones for nighttimes.

Anyone want to tell us we are making a terrible mistake? :rofl:

We're going to start on disposables until they're big enough rather than messing around with anything else for the first few weeks.

I'm sure we've spent longer deliberating nappies than anything else! :lol:

Can I ask what made you choose them?

Personally, and this is just something you might want to consider, with you putting 2 in cloth which is what Im doing at the mo, especailly with newborns you will be doing a lot of washing, how are you intending to dry? Reason I ask is your looking at some poretty long drying nappies so you need to be prepared to either be using the dryer a lot which is not very eco friendly and expensive, or buying a LOT of nappies so you can allow for at least 2 days of drying. I wash my twos nappies every other day and opted for microfibre as they dry same day. If your allowing for 8 nappies per baby per day while they are newborn your talking 16 nappies for one day then they will need other nappies to wear while they are in the wash and for the drying time so you could be potentially looking at needing a lot of nappies.

ooooh do thay have a factory shop??? cheapies??
eh? eh? do they? tell me!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hissy:

Sorry Jo, only just seen this!

I think they have a shop, but ive never gone to look for it. i just know its near me lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->