Cloth nappies

Rhio92

Connor, Saskia, OH & Me
Reaction score
:wave:
I've not been on this forum before...
But anyways... I've been thinking about cloth napyying :haha: But the thing is, I really don't know what I'mdoing :shrug:
Can someone explain what the easiest way of starting off is? And where is the cheapest place to get what I need? And what is a list of basics that I'll need?
Sorry :blush:
Also, I live with my Mum, and she'snot supportive of it at all. She said I'm being silly, and it's too hard :wacko:
So not sure what to doooo :/

I came here to post that exact question!

Here are a few websites you might fnd interesting:

https://www.ethicalshoppingforbabies.co.uk/2010/04/cloth-nappies-faqs/

https://www.ethicalshoppingforbabies.co.uk/2010/01/cloth-nappies-getting-started/

most people - me included - find it easiest to start with pocket nappies or All-in-ones, that literally go on and off like a disposable without needing an additional wrap

ebay cheapies are a good way to get a feel for the nappies. here is one seller that sells quite cheap but good nappies:
https://baby.shop.ebay.co.uk/Baby-C...pg=&_ssn=good_seller003&_trksid=p3911.c0.m282

(the ones listed there are pocket nappies)

another good way to buy is pre-loved, either on www.clothnappytree.com or on here.

But I would suggest to buy just one or two of different brands and types to try as not all nappies suit all babies.

Hope this helps hun. I started off a few months back now and can thoroughly recommend cloth )

And another great site for beginners is www.thenappyline.co.uk, which is a great advice site for beginners. It explains al about different systems and the choices you need to make. Then if you still have questions, or want to go into more personal help, you can start a free personal online consultation., and arrange to try out some nappies before you buy anything if you want to.

As regards being hard, with modern cloth nappies, nothig could be easier - a lot easier than lugging home disposables from the supermarket every week, and having an overflowing smelly wheelie bin!

Nottinghamshire also has a cashback scheme if you buy washable nappies

Your mum might b confusing modern cloth nappies with cloth nappies from "back in the day!". Tell her u dont need to soak, or to boil wash (in fact, i wash at 40 or 30) ur not gonna run out of nappies & need a midnight dash to the shops, ur not even gonna have to go out in the rain to ur wheelie bin as u would with a nappy-bin full of sposies! They r cute n squishy, n oh so pretty! And (until u get addicted) they are much cheaper. I reckon u could even get a full time set for about £130. The only trouble is, you might need to try a few diff types before u find the shape/brand that suits ur baby!

Theres a thread right at the top of this forum (one of the stickies) which has lots of the usual new user questions & lots of places to buy from etc!
x

This is a good beginner's guide:
https://www.babyandbump.com/natural-parenting/349794-beginners-guide-cloth.html

So first I would decide what types you want to try. I use pockets and AIOs which are the kind you put on and take off like a sposie and wash. Easy peasy (in fact I think the starter pack I bought with my council incentive voucher was called Easy Peasy). Get the details of what you need to do for the cashback incentive from your council. I would use that to buy a few new nappies of your choice. You could then keep cost down by buying some pre-loved from the selling foum on here, and maybe get a couple of ebay cheapies too to start building your stash cheaply.

Apart from nappies you (ideally) need:

a bin for storing your nappies until washing (with a good fitting lid, doesn't need to be expensive)
2 mesh bags for lining the bin (optional, but makes life easier for chucking all the nappies in the machine)
some lavender oil / tea tree oil to keep bin fresh (optional)
a wet bag to bring home your dirty nappies when you are out (optional)

Thanks for your help everyone :hugs:
I've bit the bullet and ordered 3 cheap AIOs from ebay. Bit nervous about telling me mum, but I think as long as I promise to keep on top of it, she;ll be ok :coolio:
I'm nervous but excited (how sad :haha: ) Wish me luck! xxx

Im always excited about cloth :lol:
Its easy and in a few weeek youll have them piling out of everywhere (i started with 3, In the space of a month i cant count them any longer)

Ebay cheapies (pocket nappies) are FAB! I suggest getting those until you get to grips with them :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->