Cloth Nappy Rash

MissMamma

Mummy
Reaction score
My LO has had two full days in cloth now :D but she has got terrible nappy rash, she's never had it a day in her life up until now.
I'm gutted because i was so sure cloth was gna be perfect and it just seems like more effort, more washing and more pain for LO than sposies :(
I dont know what to do

i too have found this weve been converted for a week now to fully cloth nappying and connor has got a reall bad buim rash im going to keep and eye on it as with him it could be down to teething but like your lo hes never had a nappy rash at all before even in sposies :( i love the cloth nappies so hope it dosnt turn out to be that hope ur lo's clears up soon x

Sometimes, when you convert to cloth, your baby will get a sort of chapping rash, while the skin adjusts to being a bit wetter. It's possibly that. The best way to clear that up, is to give as much nappy free playtime between changes as possible, and use some fleece or Coolmax liners, so the wet is wicked away from the skin. Also a barrier cream or olive oil will help. The skin does toughen up quite quickly though, so don't give up! Alternatively, try alternating a cloth and a dipsosable nappy, for a week or so, and then try full time cloth again.

They could need stripping, or your LO could be allergic to ur washing powder? Often this only shows up on the bottom because its so delicate down there! Try doing an extra rinse of plain water after every wash to get rid of 2much powder. Should keep them fresh too!

Wack some barrier cream on (we use sudocrem) and a liner in to protect the nappy and keep baby's bum drier. We never get rash with cloth nappies, only with sposies...

stripping is the UBER wash which we use to clear a build up of chemicals and detergant out of the nappies if you only have new nappies you wont need to do this but if you have brought preloved nappies they might need it

Which nappies are you using? Are you using fleece liners?

Pop in v3s, they're brand new, i think its microfibre?
I have some paper looking liner things. Is that what i should be using? God i'm clueless!

Yes definitely use a liner of some sort- it will massively reduce the rash because it keeps the bum dry! You can use disposables but fleece is best in my opinion- it keeps their bootys peachy and dry so no rash :) and it means you can use barrier creams like bepanthen without worrying about it clogging up the absorbancy of your nappy.

You can make your own from any fleece material or buy some cheaply from ebay. I use Junior Joy ones, they are big enough to cover the whole nappy :)

Yes definitely use a liner of some sort- it will massively reduce the rash because it keeps the bum dry! You can use disposables but fleece is best in my opinion- it keeps their bootys peachy and dry so no rash :) and it means you can use barrier creams like bepanthen without worrying about it clogging up the absorbancy of your nappy.

You can make your own from any fleece material or buy some cheaply from ebay. I use Junior Joy ones, they are big enough to cover the whole nappy :)

Do i need a liner with fuzzibunz as well? Or is the linner the top that goes on contact wit his skin? Im confused.

Liners are added extras to nappies, they don't usually come with them :) They can be made of various materials, some are disposable in the bin, some are flushable (fab for weaning poo!) and some are made of fleece or Coolmax (so washable with the nappy).

They go between the inner of the nappy and baby's skin. So if your nappy is an AIO, it'll lie on top of the top insert. If it's a pocket, it goes erm... well, between the inside of the nappy and baby's skin :rofl:

We use disposable liners during the day, mainly because my LO is in childcare and flushable liners makes things easier. We use fleece at night for the "stay dry" factor.

With disposable liners, whilst it can help draw moisture away, the main thing for us is that it means you can use a barrier cream without having it get onto the nappies (which can stop them absorbing). We use the Organic Baby cream by The Green People (cheapest I've found is at www.littlepants.co.uk). It's the best we've found, both for clearing up nappy rash and also as a barrier to stop it coming back. The likes of bepanthen, sudocrem, metanium etc did nothing at all for us.

So anyways, short answer... Liner + barrier cream is the way we've managed to beat nappy rash :)

Do i need a liner with fuzzibunz as well? Or is the linner the top that goes on contact wit his skin? Im confused.

I think Fuzzibuns have fleece on the inside of the pocket, don't they? If that's the case (and this is true of most pocket nappies), you don't need to use a liner to keep LO dry as the fleece - or suedecloth or coolmax or anything referred to as 'stay dry' - inside is doing exactly the same thing although it's not technically a liner. If you want to, you can use an additional liner as well; some people say that two fleece layers work against one another and actually keep LO wetter, but I have found them to work very well. A double layer will also make sure that any creams stay out of the nappy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->