• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Cloth virgin needing mucho help plz

clarebo9

Reaction score
Hi ladies, I am in need of as much help as possible pretty pretty please :flower:
My little man has been suffering sooooo badly with terrible nappy rashes since day 1, I have always been able to contain it and stop it becoming unbearable by chopping and changing the brands I was using. I have just got back from the dr's with a different cream and advice to change again blah blah blah, usual crap they force feed you :dohh:
Anyway, I have decided that cloth has got to be the way to go, my poor boys bum is red raw and I am feeling it as much as he is :cry:, I am sooo sad right now. My dilemma is I have nooooooo idea where to start with what I need to buy, I am on budget (isnt everyone) but my son comes first and I need to get him sorted asap.
soooo where do i start? What do I need? and where do i buy from?
any advice will be greatly recieved. Thankyou sooo much for taking your time I appreciate it x x x x :cry:

Firstly, have a look through the FAQ sticky at the top of this forum. That will explain most of what you need to know. There are lots of different types of cloth nappies, all with their own advantages and disadvantages, so have a look what kind will fit in best with your lifestyle and then people here are great at advising good brands to try.

As you're wanting to switch for skin reasons, I'd say there are two ways to go really. You could try the all natural, organic route so use nappies that are made of fabrics like organic cotton, perhaps with wool covers to make them extra breathable. Or you could go with the high tech route, so make use of the most modern fabrics to hopefully clear it up - you might want to look for nappies with a good stay dry layer in them, then perhaps a layer of microfibre as this will absorb liquid really fast, then something super absorbent (like bamboo) behind that to make the nappy last a while.

For now, if I was in your situation I think I would try some kind of prefold or insert system with a separate wrap (waterproof cover). I would imagine that it won't clear up the instant you switch and bum creams are quite bad for cloth nappies as they clog them up and make them less absorbent. So while you still use creams, you would want something easy to clean properly. If you get something with a separate insert or prefold, you will be able to wash them pretty harshly (on hot or soak etc) without risking damaging elastic or waterproof fabrics. One of the cheaper systems like this where you get everything you need is the Econobum nappy. If I had to start my stash again on a budget, I would probably get those, along with some fleece liners to keep LO's skin dry.

Also, I'd definitely recommend avoiding disposable wipes. Just use water or camomile tea on a cloth wipe or facecloth and it can make a big difference!

^^wss

Plus if you're on a budget I would look for some preloved bargains...

I would recommend getting a load of motherease Sandys, some fleece liners and some wraps. If you are on a budget you don't want to waste money on nappies that might leak and these are very reliable! They do them in organic cotton too which may help your lo's rash. I would also suggest giving your lo some nappy free time as often as you can every day. Hope it gets better soon xx

Thankyou sooo very much for you help, I and my sons bottom really appreciate it x

This was one of the reasons we swapped to cloth to, that and every disposable we tried leaked. We started out by just buying a few flips and a few ebay cheapies and havent changed brands since. Lo's nappy rash did carry on just not as bad until she started teething anyhows. Weve now swapped to cloth wipes too and that seems too have cleared it up for now.

We do still use nappy cream but I use fleece liners so it doesnt touch the nappies, not sure how effective this is but it seems to work for us :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"