Clothing...

LittlePeople

Pregnant :)
Reaction score
Just popping over from 2nd Tri, thought you guys would probably be able to help a little more...

I was just wondering...What sort of clothes will I need to get baby?! And how many of each size?! She's due May 15th, so it will probably start getting a bit warmer then and I'm just worried all the clothes I get will be useless! :dohh:

So do I just get vests and short sleeved bodysuits and rompers!? Are sleep suits still ok in warmer weather?! And what about things like little dresses...are they worth getting?!

Also, where do you guys all buy your clothes from!? I'm struggling to find nice and not too expensive items?!

Sorry if I seem really thick and useless lol, I just worry so much about this sort of thing!

I have no idea about summer babies or baby girls but I have found that I wish I hadn't bothered buying little outfits for newborn / 0-3 size range. A vest and a sleepsuit is pretty much all our LO wears every day and night, unless I'm trying to dress him up for an occasion. And when I do I always regret it as it's never as comfortable or easy for napping, changing and feeding.

I love Next sleepsuits the best - lovely quality and designs and seem to fit best by miles.

Our LO was 7lbs 10oz when born which is just over average and he was in newborn clothes for about 6 weeks.

I think sleepsuits (maybe without a vest) will still be fine in summer, especially indoors.

We ended up going out in the first week and buying loads more sleepsuits and vests and tbh we didn't really need more than about half a dozen of each in newborn size bought in advance. I;d say don't buy much in advance - so easy to buy wee packs in Next or Tescos when Lo is here and more fun and easier when you know what you need.

Hi hun,

I had my baby in november so haven't really got any experience in dressing them for spring/summer but I would definitely recommend a lot of vest tops, both sleeveless and short sleeved, sleepsuits will still be fine for then and there's some now with short sleeves and legs around.
I have lots of little dresses for Holly, mostly pinafore style, then she can have short or long sleeved tops underneath them.
Sleepsuits/rompers are always great for around the house and Holly wore only them for the first few weeks, so much easier and I always think that babies look more like babies in them!!

I get mine from all over the place!
Here's a list;

Marks & Spencers
Mama's n Papa's
Tesco
Next
Asda
Gap
Debenhams
Mothercare

Theres a lot of choice out there!! But I find the supermarkets are best for vest tops and such, the same quality but cheaper in packs of 3/4/5 etc!

Hope that helps and good luck! :flower:

I hon, I had tobias in April and to be honest for the first three months or so I had in sleepsuits only as he was sooooo cute in them and I didn't have the energy to dress in trousers etc. PLus I didn't think he would be very compforatble!
I love Asda, Tesco and Sainsburys clothes, I think they are brilliant and cheap. There is no point in my opinion in spending three times as much in next, gap and monsoon etc! They are not in them for long!
Good luck for the rest of your pg, xx

Hi, its really, really not worth buying any newborn outfits the best thing to buy are comfy vests and babygros.

When they are tiny you may find you change them a couple of times a day at least so you want to put them in clothes that are easy to get them in and out of and baby grows or rompers are by far the easiest i found

Carly x

I would stick to short sleeved vests and baby-grows.... you will probably find that friends/family will buy 'outfits'.... I usually shop in Matalan and Asda... they are good value and your baby won't be wearing them for long.

xx

Daisy was born in May, it was so so hot! At first, and on cooler days, she wore sleepsuits, She wore vests to sleep in after a couple of weeks, and normally short rompers or dresses etc in the day. Basically whatever I could find to match her sun hats :lol:

Lucy was born in August, so for the first couple of weeks at least it was warm, we dressed her in short sleeve vest and sleepsuits and if it got really hot which it only did a few times and we were at home she would just have her vest on. Totally echo the above I wouldn't bother with loads of little outfits maybe just a few for when you're going somewhere special, but even then a nice sleepsuit from next etc would be just as good! Also Asda and tesco are fab for cheap but good quality baby clothes

I had Ellie at the beginning of May and she was mostly in vests, rompers and sleepsuits.
I did buy a few little cotton dresses which were brilliant when it was really hot :thumbup:
Next sleepsuits are nice, i found they come up slightly small though, which was fine at the beginning as Eloise was quite small and was in prem clothes for a while and the next clothes i had were the ones that started to fit her first.
Mini Mode from Boots are lovely too as are Junior J from Debenhams.
Pumpkin patch are really nice and fitted nicely when Ellie was tiny.
Mamas and papas
Gap do some nice bits usually
Good luck! :flower:

Finn lived in sleepsuits and rompers at that age. If it was hot he laid about in just a vest.

If your looking to save some money, most newborn clothing on ebay has had hardly any use, and u can also find alot of new outfits which babies grow out of before they get put in it.

I had all sorts of extra stuff when my LO was born, most of it went to waste though. At first a lot of babies puke a lot and sleep a lot. My LO was born in june so it was getting warm, most of the time she didn't wear anything because it was just too hot. Other than that it was all bodysuits and sometimes sleep suits at night. I would advise just getting about 10 bodysuits and 10 sleepsuits and that will be all you need until about 3 months then you just decide what to get next for the next sizes. Maybe one or two dresses if you want, but they probably won't get much use!

i find asda great for baby clothes, good prices and quality. Y dont ya pick up essentials like vests, bibs, babygrows now and then pick up more specific outfits nearer the time, that will give u an idea of weather etc and what clothes other people hav bought for ya lo

I bought loads of newborn and 0 to 3 stuff but NOTHING fitted her so I had to go and buy a whole load of tiny baby outfits, sleepsuits, socks and vests!

I know lots of people keep their newborn in sleepsuits but I dressed her in outfits everyday. Her outfits were from Next, Gap, Mothercare, Boots, Pumpkin Patch and Debenhams and all her vests and sleepsuits were from asda, sainsburys and tescos.

I'm not a mummy yet - in fact I'm also due on the 15th of May :D

Just thought I'd let you know you can get some really good newborn bundles second hand. I got one on here for about £40 which included about 20 vests, 20 sleepsuits, a few outfits, pram 'coats', mittens & knitted cardigans! Check out the buy/sell section :D

We've also bought a LOT of 0-3 and 3-6 clothes (went a bit mad if I'm honest :haha:) and found that our favourite shops so far are H&M, Debenhams, Mamas & Papas, M&S, Mothercare and Tesco.

We still have to check out Next and Matalan. Had a quick look in Monsoon but there's no way I'm paying those prices for something my baby will wear a handful of times :winkwink:

Hope that helps x

I suggest getting a bit of everything. I was lucky enough to be given alot by one of my mums friends. I would totally reccomned Ebay, alot of people put bundles on their (I put loads on there myself!).

When A was newborn she would basically live in vests & sleepsuits. She had a couple outfits (dungarees, found dresses to fiddly at that age) Mothercare & Next have some gorgeous sleepsuits :flowers:

We also stuck with vests (bodysuits) and babygrows (sleepsuits) when LO was newborn. Personally, I wouldn't buy any outfits in newborn size at all. They're too hard to get on and off.

With a newborn I'd go with 2 layers unless it's exceptionally hot, in which case you just take the sleepsuit off.

My favourite stuff came from Sainsburys or Asda.

my 7mth old still lives in funky baby grows and vests - long sleeved at night, short by day.
I buy the majority from sainsburys - wash well, true to size, keep the colour / shape and dont bobble.
You can pick up a pack of 7 vests for about £8 and 3 sleepsuits @ £8.50 ish.
The smaller sized babygros have the fold over scratch mitts which are fab for the first few scratchy months and when they get older padded feet for grip.
My baby is quite long - body and legs and sainsburys do seem to accomodate this.
Primark does not and feels quite hard and rough.
I dont bother with clothes - never have, she is a reflux baby and hates being dressed as it is so fiddling around with buttons on the back is pointless when she used to be changed 6 times a day due to sickness.
Mothercare are best for long sleeved vests but you wont need to think about them until september time...
ATB xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"