Co sleeping and baby lying on his side?

Barefoot baby

Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering what people thought about co-sleeping especially with a newborn (LO is 1 week old)?

We have for the past 2 nights and it was so much better, we all slept more and daddy loves it too :)

Also LO likes sleeping on his side, often after BF he will fall asleep on me and the nursing cusion on his side, if I move him he usually wakes, also likes being on his side in bed. Is this bad?

Xxx

I don't think its considered properly safe but when Maria was very little she would sleep on her side next to me. I felt safer because she was next to me so I was very aware of her but its not recommended.

It isnt recommended but we have slept this way from birth.
The only thing I would worry about is the cushion going anywhere near babies face,or making him overheat.Without the cushion sounds fine to me,although I will repeat it isnt advised.
I think when you breastfeed its meant to make you extra aware of your baby or something?

we co sleep (partly) alfie does occasionally flop onto his side and push his face into me but i always roll him back because if he rolled onto his stomach he couldnt roll back iykwim. Its up to you at the end of the day to weigh up how safe you feel with your LO doing this but i personally with your LO being so young would roll them back and Id deffinately move the cushion away hun.

<3

We co-sleep every since she was born and she has been sleeping on her side ever since she was born and she is fine.
It's your baby and only you'll know what works for the both of you.

When Stephen was first born we co-slept, when the HV asked how we were all sleeping, and we told her we co-slept she was fine and said it's not as dangerous as everyone thinks and it's incredibly rare to roll over on your baby!

Oh yeah I'd get rid of the cushion, cushions aren't a good idea.

Maria would snuggle into my armpit!

He's only ever on his side next to me, never in his Moses basket. Xx

We sometimes sleep like this, I'm always really aware of him though so I suppose it depends how aware you think you are? I also say remove the cushion. Enjoy co-sleeping! We have from day 3 and never looked back . It's one of my favorite things ever x

My LO is a side sleeper, either next to me , she snuggles right into my chest! Or she sleeps on her side in her cot, she is swaddled with her hands up by her chest so she kind of leans on her arms when she is on her side so it would be very difficult for her to roll onto her front. Whenever she rolls onto her back she instantly wakes up and cries.
The hv told me to persist and keep putting her on her back....err no chance love, why would I wake my sleeping , calm baby for no reason!
:shrug:

MY LO has always slept on her side, she doesnt know anything else.

I will stress tho, that shes never had bedding and as she sleeps with me, my quilt only comes to waist height (on me)

Though it isn't talked about and isn't recommended...

BFing, co-sleeping moms find that they naturally end up sleeping on their side facing their newborn and the newborn ends up sleeping on his/her side facing mom. It happened with both my kids, too. And I've seen it time and again on here.

There is nothing bad about side sleeping. In fact, in the original Back to Sleep campaign that got babies off their tummies, it was Back or Side to Sleep. But that was too confusing so they went to Back to Sleep.

The important things for co-sleeping:
Make sure your bed clothes are all pulled tight.
Don't use a head board or foot board on your bed (my bed is just box spring and mattress on the floor which is best)
Keep bed pulled away from the walls so baby can't get caught between the bed and wall.
Keep pillows far away from baby (ideally you wouldn't even use a pillow)
Keep blankets well away from baby (ideally you wouldn't use a blanket)
Make sure the baby does not sleep on his/her tummy on a soft mattress.
Don't wear any clothes that are overloose or have cords on them (that might cover baby's mouth or get tangled with baby)

Of course, not all of that is possible. My solution was to follow all of it except the pillow and blanket. However, I use only one small pillow for me. I keep it as far from baby as possible and just use the end of it for my head. The rest is away from baby's sleeping space. I dress warm and use a light blanket (even in deep winter). I keep my arms and top dressed warm so I don't have to pull the blanket up past my waist. Baby sleeps by my chest so the blanket is not pulled over them. A thermal, long sleeved top with buttons down the front is perfect. It keeps me warm and can be unbuttoned for boob access. :thumbup:

My LO is a side sleeper as well, right next to me. She's slept with me since i brought her home. I didn't plan on it that way but it was so much easier because of BF. She is 4 months old and still co-sleeps.

My LO sleeps on his back in his basket but on his side when I bring him in bed with me in the morning.

My LO will instantly wake up if put on his back. He sleeps snuggledup next to me on his side mirroring my position. I have a room thermometer that i can see during the night and i dress him for warmer weather than it is as we keep each other toasty. i used to really worry about him overheating but i keep all blankets and pillows away from him and he always seems fine when i wake to feed him. if he moves or cries out even quiet snorts i wake up instantly so i have never worried i will roll on to him or he will roll onto his stomach. HV and MW said it was fine as long as you follow the guidelines - no drinking, smoking etc. Also i keep him away from DH as he sleeps like a log and wouldn't notice if he was getting too close.

My LO sleeps on her side. I have woken to see her lying on her front once, I'm just hoping she had just turned. It doesn't usually happen.

Tori was a side sleeper to start with and we did end up co-sleeping. Research all the guidelines and you should be fine. After a few weeks Tori ended up naturally on her back so I started popping her in the moses basket, co-sleeping was giving me cramp and my SPD was flaring up too :(

eeep! I am naughty, my little girl sleeps ON me all night. She sprawls across my chest on her side, its the only way she will sleep properly. I am weaning her slowly into the bedside cot though. I have a small cot the attaches to the bed in the nursery and once she is fast asleep I will pop her into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->