Co-sleeping/Bed Sharing for BF Mums

golcarlilly

Proud mum of 2
Reaction score
After reading a few posts I mentioned co-sleeping/bed sharing for BF Mums to my Mum and MIL and they were both horrified and convinced that it is dangerous, just would like to know what everyone's opinion is on the subject and whether it is something you do/would consider?

I did it with Kaya and will be doing it with this one as well. I got loads of sleep by doing this. As long as you are sensible and follow the safety guidelines I actually think that it's safer than having them in their own bed.

i only co-sleep with her half the night...she comes into bed after her early morning feed as it settles her easier and quicker!

I think if you follow all the safety instructions, and have a proper set up, it isn't dangerous.

For us, it has been asboloutely wonderful, and we plan on doing it for quite a while yet. I didn't start till about 6 weeks, but I'll start straight away with any more babies I have.

My Mum completely understands, she would occasionally co-sleep with us when my Dad went away for work. My Brother on the other hand told me I was making a rod for my own back, and spoiling the baby!

LO has always been a hungry boy, it is only in the past week that he has dropped from 4-6 feeds a night to 1-2!

I did the whole time I was breastfeeding. It was so much easier. I wouldnt have got any sleep otherwise. I will do it again with the next one too.

I put I do, but I don't anymore. We stopped at 10 months. I'll be doing the same with the next one :)

I co-slept half the night, Indie would go into her moses basket/cot after her bedtime feed and then would come in with us when she woke in the night, much easier that way. I also put a bed guard my side of the bed for her as my other half didn't want her in the middle as he was scared he would roll on to her.

I think it was brilliant, it meant I got more sleep then I would have and it didn't really cause any problems, she went into her own cot fine when we stopped breastfeeding and her own room at 11 months in a toddler bed no problems

I was really anti it when I was pregnant but I did it quite a bit in the first 2 weeks although I didn't really sleep but just lay there dozing while he slept and fed. My parents were really against it because they said it was dangerous but the midwives showed me how to do it and assured me we'd both be fine.

I'm another one who does it half way through the night. He sleeps so much better this way as do I

I do it for some of the night. He usually comes in with me when he wakes for his 5am feed, settles him back down otherwise he would want to get up then. It's been a great really, I never thought it is something i would do - but it's working great!

My Mum is the same, I told her we did it and she didn't really say anything jsut sort of gave me a look which said she didn't agree lol

How I do it - I've got a co-sleeping cot next to the bed, and LO sleeps in there most of the time. He shuffles over to be next to me when hungry or needs cuddles. He often reaches over ti touch me, to check I'm there, smile and go back to sleep. He sometimes sleeps in between OH and I when he feeds on that side. So far, he has no trouble sleeping elsewhere or alone. He'll fall asleep while I'm brushing my teeth, on his play mat, changing mat, in his bouncy chair, in anyones arms etc.

I do and have since Her first night home. In fact she slept mostly with me at the hospital.
Would I do it again next time around? Definitely!

Thanks for all the replies ladies, I have a new mattress coming on Monday so am going to give it a go i think :) (i really need to sleep!)

I have been - when we were in hospital, lying down together was the only way Adam would feed; the midwives encouraged me to have a nap while he was sucking. Since we've been home, we put him in his cot (which is a co-sleeping one but there's a gap we need to fill with something safe so the beds are not flush yet, so I have the side part up) and he will sleep a coupe of hours in it then I take him into bed and he feeds. I never mean to fall asleep but can't help it. And I feel scared that I'll smother him, even though I keep the pillows and duvet well away from him. We took the memory foam mattress topper off as it's too soft and retains heat too well, the mattress underneath is pretty firm.

My mum sounded shocked when I told her I'd been doing this but I can get some sleep and am functioning the rest of the time because of it.

We don't drink, smoke or take drugs... I guess I need to read up about co-sleeping, it was never my intention to have him actually in the bed, even though I wanted the benefits, which is why I got a co-sleeping cot.

I am co-sleeping too and have done since we got home from the hospital - I keep the baby on top of the duvet with one of his light blankets over him so that the duvet doesn't cover him and I keep the pillows away from him too. Told health visitor that we are co-sleeping and she said once the duvet etc is away from him and i don't smoke or drink then it's absolutely fine to do.

you'll sleep much better hun when you start this xxx

I have only really just started to do this and from about 5.00am onwards. Olivia wakes around this time for a feed and if I put her back in her cot, she is really restless and cries, but if she stays in bed with me she will sleep for another 1 hour at least sometimes 3!! xxx

I've been sharing the bed with my little one since her first night at home. I love her sleeping next to me and it is so much easier. :)

I answered I do but I dont anymore - I just did when she was feeding during the night. She started in her moses and came in with me from when she woke for her first feed.

There's lots of research on co-sleeping and it's safe as long as you follow the guidelines :)

Freddie has only ever slept in with us from say 5am occasionally if he has woke and wont settle back off. I have always got up and fed him and put him back in his own bed, i wouldn't sleep with him in with us i just wouldn't relax xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->