Co sleeping do's and dont's?

I FF and co-sleep :thumbup: I'm still very aware of my child. I don't think how you feed your baby makes a blind bit of difference.

I think she said bf and co-sleeping, because bf'ing DOES reduce the risk of SIDS.
I think some of you are getting too defensive over facts

"The research they were talking about did show that there was a difference in arousal between BF and FF mothers which is why it is considered safer if you are BF"

This is saying that BF mothers have a higher "arousal" than FF mothers to their babies, I wasn't getting defensive and she said nothing about SIDS. She was talking about waking to your child, right?

I FF and co-sleep :thumbup: I'm still very aware of my child. I don't think how you feed your baby makes a blind bit of difference.

I think she said bf and co-sleeping, because bf'ing DOES reduce the risk of SIDS.
I think some of you are getting too defensive over facts

"The research they were talking about did show that there was a difference in arousal between BF and FF mothers which is why it is considered safer if you are BF"

This is saying that BF mothers have a higher "arousal" than FF mothers to their babies, I wasn't getting defensive and she said nothing about SIDS. She was talking about waking to your child, right?

I was responding about her post that she made about this post which was about SIDS:
UNICEF and FSIDS jointly publish a leaflet on safe co sleeping/bedsharing.

https://www.unicef.org.uk/Documents/Baby_Friendly/Leaflets/3/sharingbedleaflet.pdf

However, the leaflet is aimed at BF Mothers and bedsharing when BF is thought to be safer. In fact, estimates are that bedsharing and BF could reduce the risk of SIDS by five times. That doesn't mean you shouldn't FF and bedshare, but I believe in knowing all the risks if you're makiing a decision/planning to do something.

Hope this helps.
The danger in co-sleeping could be suffocating your child if you roll on him/her. When a baby is bf he arouses easier, doesnt sleep as deeply. Same with the mother. So thus the mention of SIDS.

The fact remains that whichever way you feed, many mums practice it and practice it successfully despite the scaremongers out there (media/hvs etc). I have my bed pushed against the wall (no gaps) and lie on my side with no pillow and Louis lies next to me and we fall asleep. Just this really. I'm aware of his every movement and find that I don't change position, it's an instinctual thing. I don't have OH in the bed as he's too deep a sleeper and am not comfortable with it. We have a firm divan mattress and Louis has plenty of space not to overheat. No duvets, no smoking if you're going to do it, no drinking. You could also get a bed guard for your bed, hth xx

I co slept with LO when I was breast feeding and do so now ff. I must admit though in regards to the study (that I completley understand btw!) I had much more of a restful deeper sleep than I ever do now were ff. I definatly sleep with one eye open now, just never competly relax. Is that my body subconciously keeping my baby from harm!!!???

Damn those sleepy hormones from bf!

There's an interesting article written by Helen Ball here, who is an advisor for FSIDS, on co sleeping. The last page has some info on co sleeping when BF as opposed to FF and what the differences may be.

https://www.bednest.co.uk/documents/bed-sharing-and-co-sleeping-article.pdf

We co sleep with a bed guard and willow cuddling up to me , breastfed for 16 weeks now ff feeding and ebm in bottle I personally see no difference I still wake to check lol

There is some evidence that mums who ever BF or who recently stopped BF have sleeping patterns closer to that of a BF mum; perhaps the sleep patterns though hormonally induced when BF, are something that becomes ingrained even after switching to formula. It has been found though that those that FF from birth do have a marked difference in arousal from sleep and general awareness of their baby; just like dads tend to have les awareness and wake up less easily when a baby is in the bed with them; again this is not saying everyone, but this is just something that has been found from certain studies. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->