Co-sleeping..

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by Char&Bump-x, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Char&Bump-x

Char&Bump-x Me and her

I never really gave it much thought, but recently my OH has been talking about as if its the most obvious thing in the world to do with a baby.

How do you feel about it?

& if you do it:
    1. Does it help your baby sleep longer?
    2. How do you go about it, ie. positioning etc?

x

2. PitBullMommy

PitBullMommy Princess, FF & Angel Mom

I won't do it. I don't sleep well to begin with and roll constantly. DH has sleep apnea and sleeps with a machine hooked to his face with tubes. Really not the best for our family. Even if we didn't have those issues I wouldn't do it cause it seems too risky to me...but a lot of people on here do it and love it!

3. Char&Bump-x

Char&Bump-x Me and her

I understand it is a debatable subject, and in your case i wouldnt either. I just want to know all the pros and cons really :) x

4. Loveit

Loveit Well-Known Member

I had no intention to co sleep, i didnt even think about it to be honest.. But it turned out that Evie slept so much better in our bed so she did for two weeks until i realised how me and my oh couldnt sleep hanging off the sides of our three quater bed with one eye open any longer lol so now shes back in her moses basket and she actually sleeps better there now for some reason xx

5. xx Jaymee xx

xx Jaymee xx proud mummy

we co-slept with Jaymee for a bit but we stopped because i wasn't getting any sleep worried that we would roll over or something. now jaymee sleeps in her cot over night happily then comes into bed for 1-2 hours in the morn after she wakes up. xx

6. ryder

ryder Mum to Jasmine & Peyton

I dont co-sleep. I agree it is a debatable subject, in the UK it is advised to be more safe, in Canada most studies advise against it.

Do what you are comfortable with though. Jasmine was in her crib from a week old and has always been very good and easy at night time and with sleep.

7. sam#3

sam#3 Lactivist & Intactivist

We dont co-sleep as such but at 6am harry has a feed and i usually bring him in the bed for that and we will sleep on and off together until 9am when we get up. i love that time with him lush snuggles :cloud9: x

8. mommyof3co

mommyof3co Mommy of 4 amazing boys!

We didn't cosleep with Landon, he just didn't ever like to be slept with, he needed his room dark and quiet or he didn't sleep well at all. With Casen I had a csection an was so sore I couldn't get up and down and so we put him in our bed and he slept there until 11mo, we both LOVED it. I loved having him next to me, it made breastfeeding in the middle of the night even easier, we could both stay partially asleep doing it. He slept in between us. With Hayden we planned to do it from the beginning because we loved the bond it gave us with Casen...not that we love them more than Landon, but there is a different bond having them so close and watching them sleep right next to you, feeling them there all night. I feel it is safer, plus we just really love it. If we were to have anymore they would start out cosleeping too. We were told by our pedi that it's best to move them out of the bed before 18mo or commit until age 3, just with all of the changes they go through between 18-3, and the strong will they suddenly have it can make it much harder to move them, they get more upset by it, by age 3 alot of kids want their space so it makes it easier again then. We moved Casen at 11mo and Hayden at 12mo

9. I co-sleep. Until monday I will when she goes in her cot. If I was a single parent I would co-sleep forever! I have her in a sleeping bag in the middle of us with our pillows and duvet not near her. Im very aware shes there. She sleeps well there but she sleeps well on her own also.

10. ryder

I also will bring Jasminein in the morning sometimes for a snuggle it is nice :D I've had her in a couple nights when she is really unsettled but I just dont sleep well.

11. BlackBerry25

BlackBerry25 Helena & Elliot <3

I coslept with Helena for quite some time. I just put her in the middle between me and my OH and we all slept better, as it was easier to keep an eye on her and feed her and settle back to sleep quickly. I had no problem getting her into her own crib. She sleeps in there now and occasionally will come in bed with me in the morning so I can catch a few extra minutes sleep.

12. Smexi.Mommie

Smexi.Mommie Kaidayns Mommie & bump

Well i semi co sleep lol I put kaidayn in his basinet when i first go to bed then when he wakes up i bring him in to bed so i can feed him and sleep while doing it, but as for postionin i sleep on my side facing him i dont worry bout rolling on him since i find im so much more aware that he is there and i dont move at allonce i do fall asleep i will wake up and be so sore from only laying on my side... thats the only thing that sucks but latly hes been fussy and wont sleep but besdie mebut that only started yesturday he wont sleep ne were but on me..... but hes also feedin 24/7 it seems:S but gd luck

13. malpal

malpal Mummy to 3 girlies!!!

Like others i only bring Lexie into our bed in the mornings. Normally Dh goes to work about 6.30am and she's noramlly awake in her cot, so he will bring her into our bed before he goes. Also the weekends it's lovely when she comes in and we all have a cuddle! For us we never wanted to co-sleep but i can totally understand people wanting to do it. I think for us it was important to have time alone at night in bed and it just happened that it worked for us.
    I don't think it's something you could definately decide untill your lo is here, as babies are so different i'm sure some wouldn't tolerate co-sleeping whilst others would be unhappy being left on there own. Good luck with whatever you do xxxxxxxxxxx

14. Serene123

Serene123 Guest

I co-slept, and I still occasionally do. I will next time too.

She sleeps better in her cot though. Purely because she doesn't wake up to get my boob.

15. isil

isil Well-Known Member

Alasdair sleeps in his cot until 12-4 am and then he sleeps with me. The main reason I put him in his cot to start with is because it's safer than him being in my bed when I'm not there and I'm not going to sleep at 6 with him! I love cosleeping but I'm glad that I don't do the full night with him in there. When he was little he never slept in with me but as he's got older it's got more frequent and now I'm single, there really is a lot of bed for just me! I'll probably wait until he's old enough to go in a bed and to respond to rewards for sleeping in his own room to move him out. I found that when he was little if he ever did come in with me I was always very aware of him and I do think it makes BFing a lot easier. I don't know if he slept better in the beginning but it does now. I can get him to go for an extra hr- hr 1/2 just by being in with me.

16. polo_princess

polo_princess ♥ Brookes Mummy ♥

I co slept for the first few weeks but not anymore.

I kinda of made a little hole for her in the bed surrounded by cushions :lol:

I wouldnt say she sleeps longer in my bet but she does sleep better. Prbo because its comfier :lol:

17. biscuit

biscuit Well-Known Member

alex often comes into our bed for a few hours in the morning. She sleeps for an extra 2 or 3 hours that way. I am sure she would sleep really well all night in with us but I find that I can't move while she is there so I would get uncomfy. I love having her there and she obviously loves it too. I had never considered co sleeping before we had her but sometimes it's just what she needs. I think you should just go with the flow and wait and see what works best for you all. She goes on my side of the bed and I curl up next to her with my pillow well out of her way and the duvet low down. She wears a sleep sack which is quite long so sometimes I hold the end of it between my knees so I would know if she moved.

18. marley2580

marley2580 Well-Known Member

We co-slept with Kaya until she was 11 months and we still co-sleep part time. We will also be co-sleeping with this sprog when it comes. If you go to the Dr Sears website there's loads of info about safe co-sleeping.

19. ryder

Blob actually had a good idea, she pushes her (cot I think?) right up to the side of her bed so that it is level with their bed. It keeps her baby nice and close for BFing but in a safe place. I liked the idea, it also prevents the possibility of her baby rolling off the bed since thereare bedrails on 3 sides.

Other people will get snuggle nests which are good too.

I couldnt do it full time because I dont sleep well and my OH is way to a deep sleeper and moves too much.

20. heather91

heather91 Preggers with 2nd

I did when she was first born because it was the only way she would settle. She was between me and OH with the duvet and pillows well out of the way. I don't anymore because she settles well on her own now. If you do decide to cosleep, everywhere says not to if you've had a drink or smoke which seems pretty obvious, but never ever do it if you're really exhausted. OH was looking after her one morning (awake) and had her on the bed and I didn't realise at all and somehow a pillow ended up on her face :| It was so scary. Obviously they were both awake so it was no big deal but when you're over tired like that you just won't wake xx