Co-sleeping?

S

Shaunagh

Okay, so i've been thinking more and more about co-sleeping.
I still plan to get a cot-bed, for naps, and cause i'll be able to use it in the longer run. I'm thinking of co-sleeping at least until LO starts to sleep through the night completely. Obviously it'll be easier for night feeds if she's right next to me, and that way neither of us will really be distrubed much, hopefully.

I have a double bed, so there'll be more than enough space, i'm just wondering what i'll need? I'll need one of those guard things, that you put next to your bed like its a 'side'? But what else :shrug:
What else do i need to know about co-sleeping?
And Mummy's have any advice for me?

Also, OT, but the last couple of days i've gotten really excited about labour and the birth. Does that sound stupid or is anyone else excited to experience contractions and the ring of fire? :haha: I guess its more curiosity than anything else.

I don't know much about co-sleeping, sorry lovely! It's just not something I'll do. (You never know, may change my mind lol)

But I have been excited to give birth! I keep saying to Damon I wanna know what it feels like :haha: I think in labour I'll take it all back though! I've started with stupid countdowns like 6 weeks till Christmas and then 7 weeks to 2012. Then only 10 more after that till Brooke. It's going scarily fast. :D

I wasnt thinking about doing it until someone mentioned it to me. And as i'm not sharing a bed with anyone else, i figured why not, right? :shrug:
I think labour will be so exciting, cause it'll be a huge 'this is it' moment.
xx

It's really upto you. Even if Damon wasn't in my bed I wouldn't have her in there with me. I wouldn't trust myself as when I'm asleep I have no idea what I'm doing. I'd rather have her moses basket next to my bed, and then when she's in her cot just get up. I stayed at my Nan's once with my brother and she only had a double bed. I left him in there and slept on the floor. I'm not trying to put you off. Just the risks out weigh the benefits for me. But if you wanna then go for it! :hugs:

I am excited for labour :flower: I know I'm gonna cry like a baby because it'll be so special xx :blush:

I wanted Oakley in the bed with me but OH stays every night we fight over who needs more space as it is, poor Oakley would get squished. :(
Im not excited about labour, i'm just ready now had enough of waiting :haha: wish i was 40 weeks gone.

no blankets if hes sleeping on the bed with you

I co-sleep and have done since Thomas was 2 weeks old. I started when he was in hospital (he had a blood infection). I put the bed guards up and stuffed pillows against them so he couldn't fall out.

At home we have a double bed which me and OH sleep in. I've wedged Thomas' crib against my side of the bed and lay him between me and the crib. He has his own blanket, I never share blankets with him. I lay on my side curled round him, one arm under my pillows and the other either around him or over my head. It's surprisingly comfortable.

The nights I do put him in his crib I worry about SIDS and am forever checking him. I much prefer him in bed with me and he sleeps better too.

I wanted our baby in bed but OH said its too dangerous :(

I co-sleep and have done so since birth. I personally wasn't planning on doing it as I thought it would raise the risk of SIDS but after doing lots of research that's not the truth. I'm not going to lie, after hearing a lot of horror stories about people not co-sleeping correctly and bad things happening, it scared me a lot and I would have nights where I would have nightmares that something bad happened, it's just common though to worry whether your LO is in bed next to you or in their own cot.

The only advice I can give is don't use blankets or pillows around your LO, obviously you'll be using pillows, but try to make it so your LO isn't near them or if they roll over in their sleep it won't be close to their face. Also, can you push your bed up next to a wall instead of having to buy a guard? That's what I did, although, there's no way in the first few months of his life he would've rolled off the bed. Around 6 months though, I remember he rolled off the bed and that's when I put it up against the wall so if he did roll, he wouldn't roll off. That's really it though, you will probably worry and wake up thinking bad things but that's so common!

I wanted our baby in bed but OH said its too dangerous :(

It's actually not too dangerous. In fact, if it's done correctly it's more safe than your LO sleeping their own crib.

Amy, i'd probably be able to put my bed in a corner, i'd never even thought of that! :thumbup:
And if i do that there'll be more space for her crib, too.
I was worried, i guess i still kind of am. But i'm sure it'll be fine. I think when you're co-sleeping, your subconcious must kind of know that the baby is there. Obviously i know you're not to do it if you've been drinking/taking some kind of drug. But i dont plan to ever take drugs, or drink until i'm finished BFing during the night.

Amy, i'd probably be able to put my bed in a corner, i'd never even thought of that! :thumbup:
And if i do that there'll be more space for her crib, too.
I was worried, i guess i still kind of am. But i'm sure it'll be fine. I think when you're co-sleeping, your subconcious must kind of know that the baby is there. Obviously i know you're not to do it if you've been drinking/taking some kind of drug. But i dont plan to ever take drugs, or drink until i'm finished BFing during the night.

:hugs:

You should def do it! It saved me loads of $$$ not having to buy a bed guard LOL, but now sometimes Kenny is so quick to wake up, I don't even have time to think about it and he like jumps off the bed (& sometimes hurts himself LOL)

You're right, my mom always told me that you're more aware when you co-sleep that you have a baby next to you, plus especially when you breastfeed :hugs:

Don't have any advice in regards to co-sleeping as it's not something I would do myself but I want your enthusiasim about giving birth LOL :haha:. I'm just hoping it's all over fairly quickly the thought of being in pain for days is worrying me LOL xxx

I'm going to try co-sleeping.. If not I'm just having spuds swinging crib next to my bed so s/he will be right next to me anywhoo's!

As for giving birth.. me too!! Mainly cause I want to see the look on Ross's face! :haha:
Also dont you just wish if your one of these that your waters break.. that it happens at a really inconvenient.. or stupid moment.. Like sat on OH's lap.. or in the middle of Starbucks :dohh: I'd be like..
"Oh I'll have that Venti Caramel Coffee Frap to go... Also could you call my mum.. My waters just broke" :haha:
Or Tesco! Just to hear the "Clean up on isle 3" over the tannoy and think.. 'Yeh that was me :smug:"
Lol I'm going off on one now :dohh:
xx

got a basket for Arwen but want to try having her with me at first not sure how its gonna work but will figure something out :)
am really excited for labour too :S think am just fed up of being pregnant and want my girl be here, that and i really wanna mash OH's fingers :haha:

I nearly broke ohs arm :smug: and I ripped the mattress with my teeth :rofl:

I'm definitely going to try co-sleep. :cloud9:
Haha, Nade, definitely!
Even if i'm contracting, i dont wanna go to hospital til my waters break. I want them to break on my own so i can be like, "its time!!!" :blush: But i bet i'll be one of those who are early labour for daysss. :( xx

Can't answer your question babe, so sorry about that :dohh:
But as for labour and contractions, I WAS excited until I experienced those Braxton Hicks yday:dohh: They were so bad I couldn't move and I was about to cry lol. And they say Labour is much worse so...:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->