Coffee in first trimester?

KElwanger

Reaction score
I'm 5+2 and really craving an iced coffee. I make my coffee with instant which per tsp has about 57mg of caffiene. I know in general they say you can have up to 150mg a day and some say to avoid it during the first trimester. There are so many mixed messages and I don't know what to think. Obviously my baby's health is way more important than drinking coffee, but if a bit of caffeine is okay this early, I would LOVE a cup. I work at starbucks so for the first 2 weeks of conception I didn't know I was prego and had lots of caffeine so now I'm wondering if I should just have absolutely none.

Also, I don't want to drink decaf because most decaf is processed with chemicals which would be worse for me and baby than the caffeine itself.

Any knowledge and advice appreciated!

This is a great question. There is a lot of controversy regarding caffeine, but it does not begin until 250 mg or more. At that point there is a question of if it can cause a miscarriage or be linked to ADD or ADHD. Due to this, many docs say to stay below 150 mg per day. Believe it or not, instant coffee has the highest content of caffeine, followed by drip coffee, espresso being one of the least caffeine contents (for one shot).

I have to drink coffee due to a heart irregularity (not such a bad prescription). It's important for me to have one cup in the morning before 10:00 am. I make my own espresso at home so I only make one shot instead of two and I use coffee that has a low caffeine content (Starbucks is very high.) Personally, I use Stumptown but there are plenty online. I also used to work with about 15 ob/gyn's who all drank coffee while they were pregnant as well and their babes are healthy and happy.

Prior caffeine intake has nothing to do with how much you drink now as it's absorbed as you drink it.

So enjoy! (with limitations)

Oh - I am only 5'1" and weigh less than 100 lbs - size has nothing to do with it.

Thank you so much for this! Helped me loads. Off to have a small cup of coffee :)

You can definitely have a cup a day! The recommendations are to not drink too much everyday, meaning you can enjoy within your limits. Make sure all the things you are eating count, so if you are eating chocolate or having a cup of tea make sure you are counting those too!

I was just about to ask a similar question!! I drink alot of coke and was wondering how much is okay while pregnant.I really need to cut down on it!!Everytime I go for a drink its always coke..Not going to buy any in my shopping tomorrow and just buy lots of juices and hope that works !!

2 cans I was told by few people...

but I have to say I didnt keep my caffrine down with my last pregnancy and I didnt with this one - I'm not having too much now as we trying to not drink to much coke but I have been ok... but its up to how you feel

i also know someone who was pregnant she drank loads of coffee in the day and had coke and she has 2 healthy children

One cup won't do you any harm. You would have to be drinking a fair bit to 'maybe' do any harm x

remember that its not just coffee....as said earlier pop.

So while you may be good with that cup of coffee a day...are you always indulging in other caffeine rich drinks and foods.

I don't drink coffee, just soda. I try to limit myself to 1 or 2 at the most a day. I've heard up to 200 mg a day is safe.

I enjoy one ice coffee a day- but don't drink soda or eat chocolate so I'm not worried :)

I'm a diet coke drinker so I'm going cold turkey as it contains a double-whammy of caffeine and loads of aspartame which is not good at all for babies. I'm also moving onto decaf tea as I drink 4/5 cups a day in work. :coffee:

I started last week and so far so good, although I've had one bad headache that lasted 24 hours and my skin is breaking out like crazy, which I guess goes could be pg symptoms also, but I'm putting it down to my mini-detox.

I'm really struggling in work in the mornings now but I find I actually have more energy in the evenings and I definitely drop off to sleep more easily!

Anyone else struggling without caffeine?

I know we are understandably risk-averse, especially if it's been difficult TTC. However, the actual MC risk from drinking a few cups of coffee or soda a day is not high as far as I know. I did it with #1 and am doing it this time, too. I need to survive through my work day haha!

After 1st trimester, I also allowed myself 4 oz of wine at a time a few times a week, too. DS seems OK (I think!)

im drinking what ever I fancy when I want it. thankfully I have a sensible midwife who says that a happy contended mummy whilst pregnant will do my baby 100 times more good than a stressed out mummy trying to follow a bunch of do gooders rules that have never even had a baby.

she told me to ask my nan what she did and she managed to have 11 perfectly healthy children and she never gave up a thing while pregnant

I had 1-2 cups every day with my first pregnancy and doing the same for this one.

im drinking what ever I fancy when I want it. thankfully I have a sensible midwife who says that a happy contended mummy whilst pregnant will do my baby 100 times more good than a stressed out mummy trying to follow a bunch of do gooders rules that have never even had a baby.

she told me to ask my nan what she did and she managed to have 11 perfectly healthy children and she never gave up a thing while pregnant

Exactly! We all need to chill out. As long as you're not getting drunk/high, it's probably fine. :)

I don't drink soda or eat chocolate. But I sure do love my coffee so I'm glad all of you ladies have calmed my fears. Currently sipping on my iced coffee and loving it :)

I have always had one cup a day through my entire pregnancy and sometimes 2. It's fine, just don't overdue it.

I have my daily cup of cafe con leche and I just had an ultrasound at 8 weeks showing he/she is growing perfectly :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"