Coffee & TTC: What's too much????

Mrs Reineke

Reaction score
My husband and I are TTC our first. We got pregnant after 4 months of trying and sadly I had a mc at 5 1/2 weeks. I mc'd naturally, so I did not have to have a d & c. Well I just ended my first AF since my mc and my doctor told me we can start trying again after my first AF, so here in about a week we'll start TTC again. I wanted to ask anyone who does know or maybe knows a little about drinking coffee while TTC from personal experience or what they have been told. I do not drink alcohol or smoke, I just love my vanilla iced lattes in the mornings. I normally have a big one, but I don't drink any other caffeine. I have read several things online about too much caffeine being bad while TTC and then have also read that there is no research to prove this. What I want to know is if my double shot latte in the mornings is not a good idea while TTC?? Any ideas??

I think it's a "do what makes you comfortable" kind of thing.

Surly there are thousands of women who got pregnant and didn't know it so they enjoyed their coffee every morning, plus possibly alcohol, smoking, etc...I've read tons of stories about women knowing they were pregnant because their coffee tasted off.

I've read one cup a day is all you should have while TTC. So if I were you I would just scale down your large drink to a small or med.

I've cut back to 1 occasionally 2 in a day I kinda though well if I get pregnant then it won't be such a shock is ther any decaf replacement u cud try ? X

1 or 2 cups is safe while TTC and in pregnancy (about 200 mg caffeine or less). One iced latte won't hurt! sorry about your mc.

I pretty much second what mm said. Whoever said there isn't research to prove it hasn't looked very hard. It is pretty solidly recommended across the board based on many studies to stick to 200mg or less. Your risk of MC starts to go up after that and drastically so above 400mg.
Unfortunately one Starbucks latte is capable of having more than this.
I can actually have 3 cups of the stuff I brew at home and come in at 195.
Check with your coffee shop. They should know their caffeine content. If they don't and it is a chain like Starbucks, call corporate and they will know.
Good luck to you!

Thank you so much ladies for your advice. I really appreciate it!! :hugs:

A latte made with espresso should have a significant amount less that an actual cup of coffee. Sometimes more than half

Yes, it's espresso I make it with. My DH bought me an espresso maker for our anniversary because I was spending too much at my coffee stand each morning. I can make my vanilla iced latte for less than a 3rd of the price I was paying at the coffee stand. :coffee: My husband knows me so well....LOL!!! Plus it makes them almost identical to the ones I normally get.

Oh yeah just call the company of whatever brand you use then. I use nespresso pods and most of the regular pods have 65mg each but there was one flavor that had something crazy like 140 just in one small shot so I was glad I asked!

I was actually just wondering if one has to follow the under 200mg rule during the wait to O (I have a late O) or only during 2ww and preg?

Wondering because I am only on cd6 - have already had my 195mgs for the day and have a headache I think coffee could cure! ;)

One coffee won't make any difference. Keep on enjoying that coffee! I think as women we get so caught up in what we are and aren't doing when TTC that we cut all the nice things out of life - well you don't have to! You don't have to be a martyr.

I got pregnant with my first whilst drinking 3 espressos a day. I love my caffeine. :)

ETA - They were double shot espressos, too. So I was totally getting my kicks. ;)

I found out that each espresso pod I'm using to make my morning lattes have 65mg of caffeine each. :coffee: So technically I can have 3 shots a day if I want!!! Yay!!!!! LOL!!! :happydance:

You could always go half-caff if you are concerned too.

I have been trying to cut myself down to one cup of coffee a day. i am also taking Vitamin B to help offset the being tired part.

I didn't know vitamin B was good for that aknqtpie? How do you take it? Is it a pill?

You can get B12 at any store that sales vitamins. I have heard that it is supposed to help with energy levels...although probalby not as good as caffiene does.. I haven't taken it the last few days, and I do notice a difference.. but am making up for it wiht my White Chocolate Almond MOcha :)

It was pretty awesome.. full of sugar.. hahahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->