Coffee

Claudia123

Reaction score
I am totally new to this and just read that coffee can decrease your fertility by half. Wow! I am pretty nervous about this as I am not sure I can function without coffee in the morning. I suppose I can TRY decaf. My H also drinks a lot of coffee during the day. I only drink 1-2 cups. Should he quit too?

I habe been ttc for 3 cycles, I am an avid coffee drinker too... so I have decided to stop.

Although I got pregnant easily last time and I drank coffee... so I dunno.

decaff is just the same, I think the buzz is a placebo lol. I stopped 2 months ago and havn't noticed the difference!!!

I agree. I think I will be okay switching to decaff. I think it's just the hot beverage in the morning that I like so much. Just going to have to talk H into it as well. I was surprised to see that the guy should switch too.

What if you try mixing the regular and the decaf beans for a 50/50 mix?

i still have regular first thing in the morning but thats it OH is now the same and he was a coffeeholic

I have just gone through three days of caffeine withdrawal - I used to drink around six cups of tea, and perhaps 2 litres of diet coke a day - I have now stopped - it was killer, but that is another vice done with. Decaf coffee is still slightly caffeinated, but reduced enough to be safe apparently - have switched to decaf tea, diet 7-up, Fennel Rooiboos tea and WATER (boring)

I'm trying to cut out coffee and tea as well. Think I will try switching to decaf and see how that works.

I heard that coffee is actually not so bad for men TTC. There is no evidence that caffeine negatively effects women TTC in amounts of ~300mg or less per day. So, I haven't given up caffeine completely... I still get Diet Coke when the caffeine free version isn't available... but I have cut back.

You can get an idea of how much you're currently ingesting with this site. It gives caffeine content of common drinks.

I found something talking about what I read regarding men drinking caffeine while TTC:

Surprisingly enough, a study did suggest that men can and should drink moderate amounts of caffeine while TTC as it helps with his motility (makes those swimmers work better).

I originally read the actual study... seemed like good stuff. Just food for thought!

The only reason I gave it up is because you shouldn't take it when preggo - it's like narcotics, smoking, alcohol - they reckon babies born to mothers who drank caffeine have problems settling in to a routine - now I know I am jumping the gun here a little, but with potential morning sickness, progesterone headaches and cramps - I don't think I can go through withdrawal as well. Advice from what is now the world's most boring woman.

I also read its good for men to drink it in moderation, well this has been posted before on this site, but was a while ago i think so ill just put it up again...

I've heard that caffeine affects fertility. Does it, and if so, how?

Caffeine may lower your chances of conceiving, even if you don't drink or eat large quantities of the stimulant, but the evidence is not conclusive.

One widely reported study found that taking in more than "moderate amounts" of caffeine can lower your likelihood of conceiving by as much as 27 per cent compared to women with low caffeine intakes (Hatch and Bracken 1993). Moderate amounts, in this case, were the equivalent of three cups of coffee a day or six cups of tea or eight cans of cola, which works out at about 300 milligrams (mg). In this study, even modest consumption appeared to hinder conception, with women who drank only one to two cups daily lowering their chances of conceiving by 10 per cent.

However, other studies have reached different conclusions. One study found that drinking half a cup of tea each day doubled the chances of conception per cycle, while other caffeinated drinks had no effect (Caan et al 1998). Another study found that women who had an intake of 400-700 mg of caffeine a day had higher rates of conception than women who had low intakes, but women with intakes of over 700 mg per day took longer to conceive (Florack et al 1994). The conclusion of another prospective study suggested that caffeine had no effect on conception at intakes of less than 300mg per day (Jensen et al 1998). The evidence is clearly contradictory, so what should you do?

After reviewing all the available evidence in 2001, the Organisation of Teratology Information Services based in the US and Canada concluded that: "Low to moderate caffeine consumption (less than 300mg per day) does not seem to reduce a woman's chance of becoming pregnant."

If you're receiving fertility treatment then reducing your caffeine intake could help. There is clearer evidence that caffeine reduces the chance of success for women trying to have a baby using assisted reproductive technologies, such as IVF or GIFT (Klonoff-Cohen et al cited in NCCWCH 2004: 95).

Researchers don't really know why or how a high caffeine intake could be related to delayed conception or infertility. One theory suggests that the stimulant affects ovulation by causing changes in hormone levels, which in turn hampers conception. (In contrast, caffeine may actually help men's fertility by stimulating sperm motility; see our article on diet for a healthy dad-to-be.)

If you've been trying to get pregnant for several months without success, try limiting your total intake of caffeine in coffee, tea, cola and cocoa, especially if you regularly take in more than 300mg a day. As current recommendations are to keep your caffeine intake at these lower levels once you become pregnant, it makes sense to get into the habit while you're trying to conceive. (Read more on caffeine and pregnancy.)

How much caffeine is in my favourite foods and drinks?

Caffeine is a common ingredient in food and drinks, so getting a big dose is easier than you might think. The following is a quick guide, based on information from the Food Standards Agency, (FSA n.d.) as to how much caffeine there may be in your favourite drinks and chocolate bars:

• 1 mug of instant coffee = 100mg
• 1 cup of instant coffee = 75mg
• 1 cup of brewed coffee = 100mg
• 1 cup of tea = 50mg
• 1 can of cola = 40mg
• 1 can of "energy" drink = 80mg
• 1 x 50g bar of plain chocolate = up to 50mg
• 1 x 50g bar of milk chocolate = up to 25mg

You can see that if you had a couple of mugs of coffee, a can of coke and a chocolate bar in one day you'd already be almost be up to 300 mg advised limit.

Resource: https://www.babycentre.co.uk/preconception/activelytrying/caffeineandfertility/#2

I have cut down from one large coffee a day and a couple diet coke, to a large coffee every couple of days and caffeine free diet coke. It's hard being a shift worker but I figure it's for the greater good. I really have to work on the hubby though. He is a 2 XL coffee first thing in the morning, then sometimes up to 3 more L coffees throughout the day!! I would be bouncing off the walls if I drank that much coffee but I think he is immune to the effects now, lol.

i posted this in another thread:

thought this might help (resource "babycenter.com")

"You may also want to cut back on caffeine. The research on whether caffeine can affect fertility is mixed. Experts generally agree that low to moderate caffeine consumption, less than 300 mg a day or about the equivalent of three cups of coffee, won't affect your fertility, but your doctor may recommend that you cut caffeine out entirely to play it safe. Learn more about caffeine and fertility."

this chart is very helpful

https://www.babycenter.com/0_caffeine...3955.bc?page=2

i like to go to stores where i can grind my own coffee. i do about 3/4 decaf and 1/4 caf (maybe even less). then i can have 2 cups in the am, but it's really only one cup worth of caf. this has really helped me to get my fix, yet ease off of it.

good luck ladies!!!

:dust:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"