Coffee?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by Haylee., Oct 3, 2013.

1. Haylee.

Haylee. Day dreamer

Is anyone still drinking coffee? If so, are you drinking instant coffee or real coffee? And how many cups per day?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm just curious as I will admit I am still drinking two cups a day of real coffee, made extremely weak to get me up in the morning. I do plan to cut down to one a day very soon.
    I don't drink tea or soft drink often at all, so I don't see the harm in the odd cup of coffee.

Anyone else? Xx

2. Misscalais

Misscalais Well-Known Member

With my 1st two pregnancies I drank mostly tea right through with a coffee here and there, sometimes instant sometimes 'real' lol
    This pregnancy I've had one tea, I walk past a coffee shop and have to hold my breath otherwise ill vomit :haha:
    One coffee a day is fine though :)

3. jenmcn1

jenmcn1 Expecting baby #4:)

Some say to avoid coffee in the 1st trimester...I didn't drink coffee when pregnant with my son, but with my daughter I started drinking coffee at 18 weeks, once I was safely in the 2nd tri;) instant coffee has less caffeine. You're allowed up to 200mg caffeine a day...in a small cup of coffee there is (I think) 100-120mg...so 1 Cup a day is fine;)

4. Mannie89

Mannie89 Well-Known Member

First off, I want to say that I am an avid coffee drinker! At least three mugs a day. I just found out that I'm expecting though so I've been cutting down a lot. I've just been having one mug a day and a lottt of water. I hope to completely drop the coffee but like I said, I am an avid coffee drinker. Haha. That might be pretty hard! I will do anything I need to do but if it doesn't hurt the baby, I may just continue with my one mug a day. Maybe I'll switch to decaf! :winkwink:

5. MrsGax

MrsGax Well-Known Member

I am still drinking 1 cup of coffee per day. 1 k cup. I cut out EVERYTHING with my first 2 pregnancies... anything that was not "pregnancy safe". And I STILL MC'd. I realized that coffee is not going to be the cause of a MC. My bff is 34 weeks and she drinks 1 to sometimes 2 k cups per day depending on how she feels since she conceived. The baby is growing perfectly and my OB says it is fine. She even said a glass of wine or a beer here and there will not do anything... I def stay away from the alcohol though! But I know the dragging feeling in the morning. I also feel more sick if I do not have a cup of coffee. I cut it down to 8 oz per day. It also helps me have normal BM's too. :coffee:

6. Kitteh_Kat

Kitteh_Kat Mommy <3

I usually had three cups a day, every day. My daughter ended up being within an ounce of my own birthweight, was full term (had to force her out! :haha:), and has scored well on all of her tests and milestones. It's all what you're comfortable with!

7. Haylee.

Haylee. Day dreamer

Thanks ladies! I'm not alone :happydance: love my coffee! When I had MS with ds a coffee in the morning was the only thing that'd stop me being sick before I left for work, but last time I was drinking instant. I'm sat doing some reading on coffee and tea now and it's quite interesting.

Thanks for all the replies x

8. Jslyn9996

Jslyn9996 Guest

I have a cup a day. With my first I waited till 2nd tri to have coffee. But now im so dog on tired with my first I am having a hard without

9. x__amour

x__amour Mommy.

I drink Starbucks every once in a while which is the only "coffee" I'll have. Other than that, I have tea and Coke.

10. Dani_87

Dani_87 Pregnant Fit Mommy! :)

I usually have a travel mug of coffee a day (2 measured cups). But when I brew it, I use 1/2 decaf and 1/2 regular coffee grounds just to remove some of the caffeine. lol

11. bamm

bamm Well-Known Member

I had a couple of coffees in the very beginning, like 4 weeks - but it just didn't taste the same as pre-pregnancy. If I still loved the taste, I would have still had them, I was only drinking maybe 2 store bought a week (but they have 2-3 shots in each cup) Don't like instant coffee personally :S

12. Leids

Leids Mommy :)

I drink one cup of half caff coffee everyday, sometimes 2 depending on how I'm feeling. I've completely cut soda out but that's more or less due to my stomach going bananas when I drink it.

13. LivForHim

LivForHim Well-Known Member

I drink around 3 cups per day. I mix my grounds with half decaf and half French vanilla! It is really yummy and it has a little less caffeine! However, I am not someone who gets too worried about some of the little pregnancy rules...my CD is perfect and she had a coffee drinkin momma! ;) just whatever you feel comfortable with :)

14. luminescent

luminescent OH, me, and two kittens

yup, I still drink my coffee too. I try to switch it up with decaf teas, and decaf drinks like chai.. but on my early work mornings I need at a cup! cutting down from around 3 to 1 cup though. I'm not too paranoid about rules like that, but better safe than sorry I suppose.

15. CanadianFilly

CanadianFilly Well-Known Member

I've been having one cup of green tea a day, I use loose leaves so I can make it weak by using less leaves. It has caffeine but it also has lots of antioxidants and health benefits. It's not quite as strong a picker upper as a coffee but it takes the edge of tiredness away.

16. shaslove

shaslove Pregnant-due June 2014

1-2 cups here. I have given up soda and nearly everything else though.

17. Rach79

Rach79 Well-Known Member

I was a coffee addict, not human until my two morning cups then another 3 or 4 throughout the day. I went cold turkey the day I found out, in fact the day before I found out I had a cold coffee and it made me sick. I miss my coffee so much but even the smell has been too much to deal with. If I start to like it again I will probably have the odd cup. A fresh juice has been my only morning pick me up, its just not the same.

18. 4magpies

4magpies TTC #2 IVF

I drink decaf and have done for the last 5 months or so as stopped for IVF.

19. 4magpies

4magpies TTC #2 IVF

You shouldn't drink green tea in pregnancy. It causes dips in folate (folic acid levels) and increase risk of spina bifida.

20. UAmama

UAmama Expecting #2

I drank coffee my first pregnancy cuz I needed to be alert at work and now I drink one cup a day because I need to be alert with my toddler. It's ok one cup, no need to be paranoid I feel.