Coffee

deltadawn1987

Reaction score
Hi, very strange question but I’m currently 6 weeks and two days pregnant. I had a miscarriage in June of this year at 8 weeks and well because of that I’m a little nervous to be pregnant again. Anyway I always have a coffee in the morning and iv recently read that caffeine is bad in early pregnancy was wondering if one coffee would do any harm I know this sounds stupid but I’m seriously worried about it, I could give it up obviously but I work long hours and honestly I feel like I need it any thoughts or options, it’s only one in the morning but if it’s seriously going to harm my baby then it needs to I suppose

All I can find online is that under 200 mg a day of caffeine for women are okay. I drank coffee sometimes in my pregnancies and my kids were fine and healthy. I just kept it to a cup or half a cup is all. Good luck and congrats on the pregnancy!

Sorry about the previous loss :(

200mg that’s about a cup cup and a half I think, hopefully it should be okay if I keep it to a cup, thanks for the reply btw xxx

I gave it up for my first two, this is my third and there’s no way. So far baby is healthy as ever. Trust your instincts, especially in the early days. If it feels wrong to you maybe cut back for a couple weeks while the bean really snuggles in.

Trust your instincts!

Xx

Yeah I think you are right I doubt very much that a cup of coffee will do any harm, but on the other hand I do feel guilty about it so maybe I will cut it back x

My doctor is very strict and has told me to go off all caffeine. Honestly, I just couldn't do it. I switched to tea, and have one cup a day with no problems. It even helps keep my headaches at bay. I think a cup of coffee a day won't harm you.

I think a cup of coffee a day should be okay. I use a Keurig and the cups I drink have at least 100 mg in them.

I am a coffee addict. I drank it with both kids and it seems to have had no ill effects. Except now the little monsters are also coffee addicts and steal off with mine at the first golden opportunity.:haha:

I am sure you are fine with your cup a day hun. And congratulations on the pregnancy.

If it puts your mind at ease, you can actually look up caffeine content by brand. I know how many mg of caffeine are in our coffee and espresso at home, and in a few favorite DD & Starbucks drinks, so I can enjoy guilt-free. Just keep it under 200mg a day (remember there is caffeine in chocolate, too!) and you'll be fine.

I tried to stick to one cup a day and my midwife said that was fine :)

Thanks all for the reply’s, iv decided to cut it way down but if I really feel like a cup then I’ll have one xx

I've researched it and the risk with caffeine is if you average three cups of coffee per day, or whatever the equivalent caffeine is, the likelihood of the child developing asthma increases. One cup per day is definitely fine.

I googled it as well since I'm currently going on 10 weeks and was craving an iced cappuccino from Tim Hortons today and read that caffeine is fine as long as you limit your intake (I had a medium). I think for me personally I would have 1 MAYBE 2 caffeine drinks per week if that but no more. I heard caffeine can make your child hyper:shrug: but who knows how accurate that is. You should be fine to drink a coffee once in a while if you are really needing one. I read that someone had coffee all the time throughout their pregnancy and their baby turned out just fine.

Also to add, you definitely don't have anything to worry about when it comes to this and miscarriages, I don't think coffee could ever cause you to miscarry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->