Cold sore cream ok in pregnancy?

littleone2010

Mum of two girls
Reaction score
I've woken up today with a massive, very sore, painful cold sore on my bottom lip and wanted to see if anyone knew if Zovirax is ok in pregnancy? If not wht can I do o make it better? Its an awful one :cry: as if I didn't feel ugly/fat enough as it is :haha: xxx

No it's not, I had one and checked with chemist it's a no go. You can only use compeed strips

Thanks for the reply. Ugh :( you mean those competed sticker things you put over them and they look even worse than before? Lol. I think I'll just use ice or something, see if I can numb it x

Yeah that's them lol. They're not too bad... I had a questionable pimple / cold sore a few days ago and I pulled them out again incase it was a cold sore I didn't wanna risk my little boy touching it so they're handy for that!

As the cold sore is viral (blood stream) Zovirax is a viral fighter so can get through to bub (I didn't believe it either with the tiny amount you use but it does actually state on package not to use if pregnant

I only have the tube, not the package so I couldn't check. It's amazing wht we can't have in pregnancy. Maybe I'll get some compeed patched just to keep it clean. Im obviously totally run down. Thanks for all the info xx

I only had ever had a cold sore once in my 27 years of life (when I had the worst flu of my life!) and then I fell pregnant and had 3 in 9 months!!!

On a plus side having a cold sore during pregnancy is actually a good thing, it means your body is forced to produce antibodies during that time so your baby is born with the antibodies and more immunity to them then a baby whose mum had never had one.
Its only a problem if you have never had one before and then get one (or someone else close to baby) has one after birth because then the baby has never had the antibodies for it.

I suffer from cold sores a lot and only just recently found out we can't use Zovirax, good job I haven't had once since I have been pregnant. I do use lots of lip balm to keep my lips moist which helps too, could try that? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->