Cold sore :(

Lil_Gem_1989

Reaction score
Ok so i have a cold sore inside my left nostril and its really swollen! Im back to work tomorrow so any ideas on how to reduce the swelling?! I dont want to face work looking like the elephant woman :haha:

I get cold sores all the time and I know exactly how uncomfortable, embarrassing and just plain awful they can be. During pregnancy you can take a medication called Acyclovir, it is completely safe and gets rid of the nasty buggers really quickly! If that isn't available to you I have used ice as well, takes the pain away and soothes, you can also try salt directly on the sore (if you can maneuver that) and hold it up against it for 30 seconds. I have also used toothpaste but with the placement of yours I think you'd be smelling mint for weeks!

Good luck!

I get them usually about twice a year. But since being pregnant I've had only a few days without one. So like pp said i asked my ob for the acyclovir cream and the one i had went away faster than ever and I've used it before at the start of one and it just never came up. The Stuff works, very well....

Thanks for the replies! Acyclovir is that zovirax? I have some zovirax, will put some on but doesnt usually work for me :( been looking on google and it says pressing a warm damp tea bag on the area several times a day works, been doing that all day (glad theres no cameras about) and not sure if its helped or not! Hmmm so fed up of the damn things lol

Zovirax is the cream version (as far as i remember) Acyclovir is a large blue pill version that works quicker and more effectively.

I had toothpaste spread over my lips for an entire afternoon, the things we do! haha

Thanks for the replies! Acyclovir is that zovirax? I have some zovirax, will put some on but doesnt usually work for me :( been looking on google and it says pressing a warm damp tea bag on the area several times a day works, been doing that all day (glad theres no cameras about) and not sure if its helped or not! Hmmm so fed up of the damn things lol

Sorry dont know how i managed to post that twice! Haha did the toothpaste do the trick? I cant imagine putting toothpaste up my nose being any worse than a teabag :haha: oooh will have to look into getting the pill form then. Do you have to get it through prescription only? X

Sorry dont know how i managed to post that twice! Haha did the toothpaste do the trick? I cant imagine putting toothpaste up my nose being any worse than a teabag :haha: oooh will have to look into getting the pill form then. Do you have to get it through prescription only? X

haha, i don't recommend it up your poor little nose, but! toothpaste for about an hour, mixed with icing the sore and then peroxide (i did it all day long) really did kill it in a couple days. Where I'm from it is prescription only but as soon as I mention the "tingly feeling" they write it up immediately and within 2 days it's basically gone. The pill is best used as soon as you feel one coming and it prevents them which is a life saver.

Yep. Zovirax cream, sorry i got them mixed up. If you can get pills and cream, try that. Now an old native American fix for them is earwax. Before I had insurance, I tried it. It definitely shortened the healing time. It burns though. Just fyi, hth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->