Cold Sores

Rheaz

Reaction score
Hi ladies
I have been prone to cold sores since I was a kid, but they reduced down to "hardly ever" in my adulthood.
1 cropped up on my lip today and I had a terrible terrible one that got huge at 6 weeks.
Has anyone else had cold sores during pregnancy?
Should I be worried?
Last time I had one my OB saw it and said nothing, but now this is my second in just a few weeks I'm wondering if I should worry?!
I HAVE heard they can be caused by hormone surges.
Anybody?
:-(
xx

The same as you i hadnt had any in years.
I had 3 in the space of 2 weeks which is what made me test and lone behold i was pregnant with my son.

Not had any this time round :shrug:

I wouldnt worry hun like you say, our hormones are all over the place at the minute.

HTH

xx

The same as you i hadnt had any in years.
I had 3 in the space of 2 weeks which is what made me test and lone behold i was pregnant with my son.

Not had any this time round :shrug:

I wouldnt worry hun like you say, our hormones are all over the place at the minute.

HTH

xx

Hey
Your baby is so beautiful!
Congratulations.
Oh and thanks, it makes me feel better to know someone else has experienced the exact same thing!
How annoying though!
No cold sores for you this time I hope!
xx

ah thankyou hun. He is my angel. :)
nope not this time but i have very very sore lips. :(
xx

Your immune system is much weaker in pregnancy, so cold sores and mouth ulcers are likely to rear their ugly heads.

I had a mahoosive ulcer that lasted weeks, which is very unusual to me, but I know it's because of baby.

all i can say is this is completely normal. cold sores, ulcers, warts, attack when the immune system is low, during pregnancy your immune system is lowered due to the body using the extra energy in protecting the baby.
dont worry the virus cant pass through the placenta so wont hurt the unborn baby.
but i will say this, if you have a cold sore developing (you know the first tingling sensations) or a devloped cold sore when you give birth, DO NOT kiss you baby until it has completely gone, i know it will be hard but there are so many babies out htere that have actually died from the HPV virus being passed on to the newborn, whos immune system is so low it cant fight off the virus.
i dont want to scare you i am just warning you, its ok if youve not got one there or one starting to develop as the virus cant be passed on then. this is why they warn you that if you have genital herpes or genital warts at the time of birth to seriously consider a c-section as going down the birth canal if one of them split it can form warts and blisters in the baby's windpipe and lungs.
i only know this as with the twins i developed warts and did alot of research on it. but now my body ahs learnt to fight off the virus and i dont get them anymore thank good! x

Cold sores small, painful, fluid-filled blisters or sores that the lips, mouth or nose that is caused by a virus to appear. Patients had MRI of the brain to the specific areas of their brain scans to measure the volume. Some people have no symptoms of infection. But others pain and unsightly cold that last for a week or more to develop lesions.

Cold sores small, painful, fluid-filled blisters or sores that the lips, mouth or nose that is caused by a virus to appear. Patients had MRI of the brain to the specific areas of their brain scans to measure the volume. Some people have no symptoms of infection. But others pain and unsightly cold that last for a week or more to develop lesions.

cold sore virus lives in the nervous system and are a member of the herpes virus, normally appear when the sufferer is a little under the weather or stressed or the body is under some sort of strain due to the fact that these factors can have an effect on the immune system. cold sores appear around the nose lips and mouth as these are all very common areas where the nerve endings are more exposed or weakened.
you dont have to have an infection or cold etc to develop them as they belong to a virus that lives dormant in the nervous system, sometimes for only a few weeks sometimes for years. when the immune system becomes low they can become active and form lesions and blisters, they are highly contagious in the forming and blister stages thus making them dangerous to newborn babies as their immune systems cannot handle the virus.
it is not an infection it is a virus that lives in the nervous system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->