Colic? Help.

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by i_am_amy, Dec 14, 2009.

1. i_am_amy

i_am_amy New mum to Abigail.

For the past few nights my little girl has been a nightmare :( It starts at her feed around 7pm, she just starts screaming and doesn't stop for most of the evening!! It usually lasts til about 11pm and the only time she isn't screaming is when she has a bottle in her mouth or she has fallen asleep.

She only sleeps for a few minutes at a time before she wakes up again and starts screaming. It seems she's only soothed when we walk around with her and when she's crying her wee face goes bright red and all clammy. We do try to burp her as much as possible but it's getting really difficult as she screams constantly and goes really rigid when you try to burp her.

Does this sound like colic? It's heartbreaking listening to her cry and not being able to help her :( Any help or advice would be great.

2. FierceAngel

FierceAngel Guest

sounds like colic to me luisa had bad colic :( only time she stopped crying was in the car or pram i actually walked in the street with her at 3am cos i couldnt do anything else :(

we tried colief, infacol, grip water and nothing worked just took the edge of slightly..

then we switched to dr brown bottles and it vanished!!!

they are expensive about £20 for 4 in boots but so worth it :)

xxx

3. Seraphim

Seraphim Amazing Baby Girl

Yes it sounds like colic.

There's infacol, gripe water or colief to try.
    We found colief worked best for us.

4. KKSARAH

KKSARAH Mummy to two Princesses

We also have the same issues and tried all the above and nothing seems to help, I cant try different bottles as I'm breastfeeding Lexie :(

Hope you find somthing that works very soon as I understand how hard it can be:hugs:

5. Scally

Scally Well-Known Member

I second the Dr Brown bottles they are great! I also use colief, which i found helped my LO by the next night.

6. vanessayogini

my baby does this every night or every other night, my doctor says that it isn't "colic" , really, that most newborn babies do this ..they fuss and "cluster feed" because they are babies and they are growing. it is hard being a newborn!
    but hey, try whatever works for you!
    i just feed her and comfort her and she eventually falls asleep and all is well again.
    it is hard, but i know it is temporary!
    good luck!

7. ttcno3

ttcno3 Well-Known Member

I'm same with charlie he does not stop cying from about 8 onwards a warm bath seems to calm him down and i'm using 2 full dropper's full of infocol its working better x x

8. sam76

sam76 Mummy to George & Louie

Hello we tried, infacol, didnt work, then we tried Dentitox gave him bad tummy, and now we have been on colief for 2 weeks and its made such a improvement!!!! really settled him down, and he has been sleeping longer of a night too!!! try it!!!

9. lyre

lyre Well-Known Member

my lo is the same, he's only really happy when hes breast feeding or asleep. have you tried a dummy, it might be comforting. sorry i dont have many suggestions, its hard isnt it x:hugs:

10. i_am_amy

i_am_amy New mum to Abigail.

It realy is hard, thank u all for ur suggestions. We're trying infacol the now and we'll see how we get on with that. Good luck to everyone else in the same boat, seems there r a few of us!! Xxx

11. Kayleigh09

Kayleigh09 Well-Known Member

We used MAM anti colic bottles and colief, worked a treat. Not cheap but really worth it :)

12. ttcno3

ttcno3 Well-Known Member

totally had enough last night charlie up setting my other children so went to boots at meadowhall open till 10pm cos its Christmas :happydance: and bought some Dr browns bottle and stage 2 set of teats and a bottle of nurse Harvey's gripe water OMG!!!! work a treat :happydance::happydance: he slept from 11 till 4 and went straight back to sleep no screaming then slept from 4sh till 8.30 and still no screaming my kids had smiles on there faces and our house was a lot happier there not cheap thou £16.68 but worth every single penny and its lovely to have a baby that you can cuddle hang in the ladies x x:hugs::hugs:

13. Soph&Bump

Soph&Bump Well-Known Member

I've also been using Colief. LO was screaming during early evening for a few nights. I don't even know if it's colic or if I still need to use Colief but she's not screamed inconsolably since so I'm sticking with it. It's just a bit of a pain to use if you're breastfeeding as you have to express and put a few drops in the milk. I'm cheating and putting a few drops in pre-made formula and feeding that. I hope I'm not doing it too wrong. It seems to be working.

Good luck with the Infacol.

14. NmcDs

NmcDs Son, Aidan

Aidan was screaming just about early evening + me + the OH found it heart-breaking as we couldnt help him but as the days went on i actually thought that it wasn't wind because laying him on my knee etc + talking to him would settle him, or puttin a bright toy in his face would stop the crying aswell but ive got him on infacol just now incase, my HV told me alot of people dont believe colic is a thing as its just newborn babies, they need to cry for whatever reasons i.e attention etc.
    although we found it heartbreaking that our son was screaming for hours it seemed to help start settling him into a routine because once he had calmed he would be bathed, fed + changed then put down for the night because he would be exhausted from screaming, so we have stuck to the same time and he seems to be settling to it (fingers crossed).
    i hope the infacol helps.

15. loulou2409

loulou2409 Well-Known Member

hiya my lo is the same. coleif and dr browns bottles cured him.i giuve two drops with every bottle. get colief on prescription as it isnt cheap.works wonders x

16. Seraphim

Seraphim Amazing Baby Girl

The thing with wind/colic is that it can ease for a moment, then pinch at their insides again

17. Jazlew

Jazlew New Member

My baby is 2.5 months old now she started having colic pains when she was 2 weeks old, so far we have changed 5 different formulas and 5 different medications including, zinco, metsil, infacol, sab simplex and gripe water!! I m getting nurse harveys today to see if that will help.. there r days when she doesnt sleep for 13 hrs but she only falls asleep fpr 10-15 mnts on my shoulder whne I m trying to burp her or when I m breastfeeding.. Her crying feats start in the evening around 5 pm till 9 which is much better than before bec it used to last until 2 pm!!! I ve took her to 3 different dr s and have been using Dr browns bottles for the past month have been massaging her tummy with warm olive oil and been doing leg excercises.. The drs said it will eventually go away once she s 2.5 or 3 months old so I m waiting.. It has been very hard and depressing but I m trying to think it s not an illnes and soon it will go away.. Hope this information will be useful for anyone who has a colicy baby.. The best result I got from was gripe water so far by the way..

18. Jayneypops

Jayneypops Mum to 2 Fairy Princesses

Hi,

We had this with LO pretty much from day 1 until she was 12 weeks.......doctors said colic, and I was so angry asHV explained that the term 'colic' doesnt really mean anything in particular, its just what doctors say when they dont actually know the root cause of a problem.
    My LO was so uncomfortable that I would not rest until I had tried everything. I tried colief (helped a little but not much), Infacol (did nothing), Gaviscon, Dentinox you name it!

In the end, my HV recommended switching formula to Lactose Free. Within 4 days LO was better! No screaming, no red face, no pulling her legs up. Turns out I couldnt breast feed her as she was intolerant to the natural sugar (lactose) in milk. Its very common apparently in newborns.

She is now nearly 12 months old, and at 5 months we weaned her from lactose free formula to standard and she is fine. It just takes their bodies time to adjust and doesnt mean they will be lactose intolernat forever.
    Have you considered the fact that your LO might be LI? I would give it serious consideration, as from what you describe, it sounds exactly like our DD

Good Luck xxxx

19. Jayneypops

Jayneypops Mum to 2 Fairy Princesses

by the way, we did also switch to Dr Browns bottles which helped a bit, but it was the formula that made all the difference.
    It was SMA lactose Free (small tin in about £8 do its more expensive but some PCTs offer it on prescription - ours didnt but I'd have paid £100 a tin to get a good nights sleep for us all and no more pain for DD!)