Colic? on nutramigen milk

hulahoop09

Mum to lg and pg #2
Reaction score
Hiya

Okay so since lo was born she had various symptoms which doctors tried on different meds inc gaviscon. Last week after I insisted i really thought she had a milk allergy the doctor said she may be lactose intolerant and prescribed her nutramigen which she started on wednesday and seemed to be doing great. Not all symptoms disappeared but its early days but she seemed more comfortable and night times she has settled the best ever since she was born and wasnt struggling after feeds as much if at all. Come yesterday she took a u turn in the day and fed a little but then wouldnt take as much and would not settle and was crying and screaming to the point where it was shrill. She would settle for short periods when rocked or put in pram or tapped base of spine/bum. She would then start up again and then eventually wore herself out crying. I spoke to nhs direct and they suggested sounded like colic. I have tried her with colief in her feed and she seems more settled this evening still has her episodes but a lot less. I was wonderimg if anyone has experienced this when lo started on nutramigen? Does it sound like colic?

Xx

No-one really knows what causes colic and many babies are fussy and seemingly uncomfortable if they are overstimulated or overtired, it may be nothing to do with the milk or anything milk related xx

Thanks hun. Its so hard to know what to do and with nhs direct telling me sounds like colic i didnt think what else could be. Otherwise she seems great amd milk seems to be easing her struggles bless her. Xx

Does she have any symtoms of reflux or silent reflux? I see they prescribed gaviscon so i'm guessing maybe they thought it was a possibility? Because sometimes actually alot of the time gaviscon does not work. It seems each case is different. Some babies react well with it and others react better with meds such as ratidine, which is what my LO is on. My LO has silent reflux, which is harder to diagnose because they don't actually throw up, well they do but then they swallow it, so its actually sometimes even worse becasue they never get rid of the acid that is bothering them and it irrates the throat twice, on the way up and down. My LO has a severe case... I'm just throwing it out there. Your lO may not have any of the symtoms. But if you need any info please message me and i will also try and check on this thread.

i recommend changing bottle teats first! You can get a lot of colic reducer/preventative teats now!

Thanks. They queried silent reflux which is what yhe gaviscon was for which actually made her sick. Lol. Xx

Thanks. They queried silent reflux which is what yhe gaviscon was for which actually made her sick. Lol. Xx

Gaviscon can do that even if they have reflux. But, if she isn't throwing up or throwing up in her mouth and swallowing then she doesn't most likely doesn't have silent reflux. Good Liuck!! :hugs:

Thanks she does a swallowing/gulping sound sometimes. Xx

My lo is on Nutramigen too, with gaviscon and ranitdene too... I have found that since he has been on Nutramigen he is more windy... I have to feed him in a sitting up position and wind him until we get really good strong burps or he becomes really unsettled and whingy..I have propped his cot up one end too.. Which seems to have helped him settle..

hi my son has the same symptoms and has been on nutramigen for 2 months we have found using gripe water and nutramigen has helped enormously. :happydance:

hi my son has the same symptoms and has been on nutramigen for 2 months we have found using gripe water and nutramigen has helped enormously. we tried stopping the gripe water and he deteriated quickly. :happydance:

Does she fuss during her feed, arch her back and have a hard time taking the bottle? How is she after the bottle? Does she ever get the hiccupps?

She doesnt really fuss during feed, its when it gets into her system she gets hiccups lots, since being in my tummy. Lol. If she doesnt feed for about 5 hours she is ok, its when she has fed which is one of tge intolerance queries along with blood in stool etc. xx

Your Lo had blood in her stools? Caleb had the same, the dietition who prescribed him neocate (previously tried 2 other types of allergy milk and was still bad) said he should've been put straight on neocate as blood in stools meant a severe milk allergy which meant he Couldnt handle even minute amounts of cows milk protein x

Yeah she had it approx 3 times I have noticed and wasnt even due to constipation as her stools were sloppy. They checked for irritation around her bottom also incase that had caused the bleeding but there was none. She could have had more episodes but that havent been obvious to me. I am gonna try get her in to the docs tomorrow i think and see if i can request another milk if that is the case! Xx

Whats the differemce between nutramigen lipl, aa and neocate? I am gonna go to the docs even more informed tomorrow. Lol. I am sick of my girlie suffering.

My los blood was dark like jelly so they knew it came from inside his gut. Not sure what your los was like, I know if its bright red streaks could be from a slight tear from constipation but you've said they checked for that. Perhaps something to bring up with your doctor. Lipil is based on cows milk but the proteins in it are broken down loads so there barely there, if a baby has a severe allergy even the tiniest amount can hurt them. AA and neocate have none in whatsoever they are made from amino acids. Your doc may want you to trial the nutrimegan a while longer as can take a few weeks for you Lo to properly recover. Gps don't normally prescribe AA or neocate as if your Lo needs this type of milk they really need to be under the care of a paed / dietition due to the severe allergy. Worth asking for a referral as you may have to wait a while to be seen so by that point you will deg know if the nutrimegan is not working x

Thanks. The blood was brighter red which means from closer to the bottom end of the tract but there was no tear/fissure etc there especially as lo wasnt constipated and had sloppy stools. I just feel so frustrated. I have a feeling she may have mixture of issues. I do feel the nutramigen has helped and am wondering now if she has an element of reflux and so to combine this with the nutramigen to see if that helps to eliminate things. Also if she does have wind is gripe water (besides infacol) the only thing that can be tried while on nutramigen? I will stop the use of colief as found out on here that it breaks down lactose in milk but if the milk is lactose free there is no point to the colief. Lol. xx

I think its quite common for allergy babies to also have reflux. Now calebs on his new milk his reflux has almost disappeared, he's a tad windy but neocate can make them windy for a while before they settle down. We put a squirt of detinox in his bed time bottle to help, during the day we don't as he burps himself pretty much x

I think its quite common for allergy babies to also have reflux. Now calebs on his new milk his reflux has almost disappeared, he's a tad windy but neocate can make them windy for a while before they settle down, it doesn't cause him pain just v smelly for us lol. We put a squirt of detinox in his bed time bottle to make sure he has a good burp before bed as sometimes he won't bring up his burp, during the day we don't as he burps himself pretty much x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->