Colic ?

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by Lizi_17, May 31, 2011.

1. Lizi_17

Lizi_17 Well-Known Member

Anyone got any advice on how to deal with colic .. my LO is usually crying from 6/7 til like midnight its awful i dont know what do to help her and she is constantly trumping any help ?? xxx

2. going_crazy

going_crazy Still learning.....!

Have you tried infacol? I've heard it's quite good, but I think you have to use it at every feed for it to be effective. I used gripe mixture after feeds and this helped us quite a bit.
    Also, I found stopping to wind LO often during feeds was a great help. Are you BF or FF?
    I FF, so cannot advise about BF! xxxx

3. KatieB

KatieB Well-Known Member

If bf try to ensure your LO empties one breast before starting on the other, I've heard this can help. If ff, maybe think about trying a different formula. I combine feed and after trial and error found that Aptamil was by far the best formula for my LO, SMA didn't suit him at all and gave him very painful trapped wind. Also use a bottle for colic, I like the Doctor Brown's bottles. Have you tried colief? It's expensive but works by reducing the lactose in the milk, you have to put it in the milk half an hour beforehand or in expressed breastmilk before you feed. It's supposed to be good, I use infacol before each feed now. It does get better though, I was beside myself with the crying and trapped wind, bless him, but Louis seems to be turning a corner now (fingers crossed) xxx

4. anna matronic

anna matronic Mummy to Evan :-)

Colief drops, baby massage, cycling babies legs, it's horrid :( x

5. KatieB

KatieB Well-Known Member

Oh yes, as above, bicycle legs is great for getting it out, as is gently drawing their knees up to their little tummies x

6. moondrops

moondrops Call me Sally!

We gave Elia infacol before every feed, she loved the taste lol! and it really helped to get her wind up. I also winded her after ever oz she took as if i left her to drink and stop when she wanted to i found it harder to get her wind up iykwim? i agree with the cycling of legs that's brilliant and tummy massage, your HV can show you how to do this or there will probably be videos on youtube. I found laying her down on her tummy helped when she was in real pain, sometimes she would be screaming and i would lay her on her tummy and she would fall to sleep, just don't do it after a full bottle x

7. Lizi_17

Lizi_17 Well-Known Member

Thanks for replying .. the leg cycle seems to work and just got some of that gripe water its brill !! infacol an dentinox are good too but ive found the gripe water works best she still has odd nights were she crys a lot but for past few days shes bin brill would recommend the gripe water ! xxxx

8. MrsWatson

MrsWatson Well-Known Member

Colic can often be confused with over tiredness, try putting LO to bed at 6/7, establish a bedtime routine and maybe do a dreamfeed to get you longer in bed through the night.