Colouring your hair when pregnant

Gypsy_Punk

Mummy to 3 angels
Reaction score
Who else is still doing this?

I was told certain dyes would be okay to use and the only "problem" you might have is pregnancy makes your skin more sensitive.

I have checked with midwife etc and was told it would/should be okay.

I aren't using anything strong like peroxide/stripping the roots etc. I just recolour my roots every 4-6 weeks and use a semi permanent black hair dye (my natural colour is light brown) I have been colouring it black for about 8 years and never had any problems.

A friend of mine is arguing with me about it on my FB status and the mood I am in she's bound to lose!

x

not proved it causes any harm during any trimester, and your hair is yours and not your friend´s!

It's fine and safe. The only thing that can happen (I havent heard anyone complain of it though) is the colour might not take quite the same. I do mine as I always have. :)

I love pregnancy know it alls when they havent had a baby or been pregnant......

I've dyed my hair at 19 weeks. waited for 2nd tri and got my mum to avoid the scalp as much as possible (which should be done anyway!!)
Nothing has been proven either way that I have found. None of the chemicals can move from your hair to your body hence not to baby, its only a very very small chance if it goes on the scalp.
as OP said, sometime the colour doesn;t take fully, but mine was fine...thankgod had major grey roots going after not dying for 21 weeks!

I had my hair dyed yesterday and this be my 3rd time in this pregnancy, hairdresser said it was an old wives tale iif anything your skin is just a little sensitive thats all xx

I'm sure the dye/products are totally different these days to what they used 20/30 years ago.

:D

i've witnessed colours going a funny shade(i used to be a hairdresser)

apart from the usual allergic reaction risks (might be a lil higher due to hormones) the precautions are the same.

i did it. bugger it. lol

i dye mine blonde and havnt stopped - my midwfie hasnt ever said anything to me about it when she can clearly see me with blonde hair - but iv never asked her about it - i looked it up on the internet and found that there was no proof it could do any harm so i still do it - i read the warning label on the bottle and it doesnt mention anything about not using whilst pregnant x

I do notice that my scalp is a bit more sensitive and I'm watching the timer waiting to get it off. The first time I had it done with my last LO I told the hairdresser to take it off about 5 mins early because it was tingling and bugging me so much :lol:

I think hair dying is just one of those things that will always be a do I don't I..

I haven't heard of any risks or anything. A girl I worked with was still bleaching her hair when she was pregnant,& her & her baby are fine.

The only thing I have heard is that because of the hormones it might not take properly & could go green.. But from what I've heard I think that's more a worry for ladies dying their hair blonde!!

xxx

I dyed mine with both my first 2. Haven't done it yet this time but it's only because I haven't had the money. I *really* want to soon though. Just make sure the room is well ventilated. (something you're supposed to do even not pregnant)

I know there is a risk when you use any dye or change to a different one but that is any time and not just when you are pregnant

x

Ive done it in all my pregnancies and all as been fine .

Im abouts to have my roots done tomoz for about the 3rd time so far in this pregnancy as im blonde and roots dont look good lol

Its not just blondes that can go green!

omg i couldnt go 40 weeks without dying my hair, id look a right sight lol.

Well I made a conscious decision to wait until after the 1st trimester but now can't get an appt until 9 Jan ... grrrr!!

Fingers crossed I don't go green!!

I had my highlights done last year just before Christmas and TONNES I mean REALLY TONNES of hair fell out, I was pretty cross with my hairdresser and she just said it can happen in pregnancy but she swore she hadn't left it in too long so didn't know why it fell out- two weeks later I found out I was 5 weeks pregnant:dohh:. Have not had my hair done since because had mmc and then ttc so it will be exactly a year since that when I get it done next week. Going to my mum's hairdressers as I think they'll be a bit more careful and they are happy to do my hair knowing I'm pregnant, she said they just need to check it more often because it will react differently to dyes.

My hair lady said that sometimes it comes out patchy or a different color, but that is the only risk because babies will be fine! I'm sure it will be beautiful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->