Combi feeding mummies.....which formula do you use?

cupcake1981

Mummy to Zach!
Reaction score
Hi ladies

My 4 week old baby boy is being combi, breast feeding from the breast never worked out for us for several reasons, so he gets 2 feeds of breast milk per day, and the rest of his feeds are formula.

We're struggling to find a formula that really suits him. We gave him SMA at first which seemed to make him a bit windy and generally unsettled. Switched to aptamil which he liked at first, was going a good 4-5 hours between feeds, but after a week or so he started being quite sicky after each feed (plus it smells awful). Have put him back on SMA but it just doesn't seem to fill him for as long plus he's become really unsettled and possibly colicky in the evenings again.

What formula are you using and have you found similar things when using the brands mentioned above? I'm thinking of trying cow and gate buyout diesnt say it's for combi fed babies?

Also, my lo is draining 150ml at each feed in around 10 minutes. Should I start making 180 and letting him see how much he wants? Don't want to overfeed but he seems to want more after each feed. He weighs about 10lb so is having more than enough oz for his weight?

TIA

I breastfeed mostly and one bottle of formula around midnight. We started this early on so I could go to bed and OH would take care of the late feed. I initially was feeding her Similac, but also found it smelly and thick. We switched to Good Start (Nestle) and the consistency is so much closer to breast milk and doesn't stink. Much happier with it!

Formulas saying they are designed for combi-feeding is just a marketing gimmick. In reality any formula is suitable for combi-feeding. All formulas in the UK are virtually identical just blended differently and with slight differences with minor, not major ingredients. SMA and Aptamil both have lots of added ingredients which are of dubious benefit and that don't agree with a lot of babies xx

Im doing the same as my daughter wasnt gaining enough weight so I need to formula feed a few times a day. Because it is thicker its harder to digest so there wind is worse and it's harder for them to poo. My daughter is 4 weeks and I have been doing this for a week. She has been weighed today n her weight had gone up enough although her tummy isnt soo good. My health visitor said to switch to aptimal from cow and gate as its the slightly better one frm them all although they are mostly the same bt she has seen alot of babies with less problems on aptimal than the others. It takes a good time for their tummys to get used to the formula so its just a case of sticking with it.

Regarding the sick have you tried Gaviscon sachets from the doctors? Brilliant to help with sick ups and reflux whch your baby may have as mine is the same an sshe's soo much better with these.i used them with my first. Im goin to stick with aptimal now wel try it out and you can always buy the comfort one for poorly tummys ;) hope you find one that suits u

Aptamil is no better than any other formula and it's not allowed for HCPs to push one formula over another, in fact the high levels of fish oils and other added ingredients in the formula can aggravate reflux further. There are also some other non mainstream organic formula brands but these are only sold online and in health food shops, babynat and holle are the main ones xx

My LO has an evening bottle of cow and gate, which seems to suit her well.

We've had to top up with formula this week, baby is almost 4 weeks. Been using Cow & Gate with no issues so far.

I used HIPP.

I don't give a monkeys that its "organic" or contains this that and the other. When you open a box of formula you have a certain number of days to use it in. I was wasting formula. But HIPP comes in a box and has 2 big sachets that you open separately. So I was able to get through it before the time ran out.

Aptamil is just the same as every other formula. From what I recall they had a campaign way back that said they were "closer to breast milk" which they got told off for, but it seems to have stuck.

Aptamil, SMA, Cow and Gate, HIPP...... all gonna be pretty much the same. If they say they are for "combi fed" babies is just cos they are trying to be manipulative evil *******s and encourage mothers to mix feed, mess up their supply and buy more fomula.

I used HIPP.

I don't give a monkeys that its "organic" or contains this that and the other. When you open a box of formula you have a certain number of days to use it in. I was wasting formula. But HIPP comes in a box and has 2 big sachets that you open separately. So I was able to get through it before the time ran out.

Aptamil is just the same as every other formula. From what I recall they had a campaign way back that said they were "closer to breast milk" which they got told off for, but it seems to have stuck.

Aptamil, SMA, Cow and Gate, HIPP...... all gonna be pretty much the same. If they say they are for "combi fed" babies is just cos they are trying to be manipulative evil *******s and encourage mothers to mix feed, mess up their supply and buy more fomula.
HIPP always does very well in consumer tests here regarding contents. The owner of the company, Claus Hipp, actually "guarantees" the quality of their products with his name.

When we had to FF we used HIPP HA because LO was high-risk for allergies.

Hi everyone,
my LO loves Holle!! <3

We bought Holle from biologish. The trouble we had with them is they take forever!! Currently we order from organicbabyfood24. hopefully it goes faster, price is the same...

I guess I'm technically combination feeding as she does have some formula but only 2-3 bottles per week. I use cow & gate x and have had no issues

I'm currently topping up with formula and use Cow and gate.

With my second baby we had to use Soya formula as after trying every formula it turned out she's lactose intolerant!
Lx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"