Combining Aptamil 1 & Hungry baby

Cracker

Reaction score
LO has always been a very hungry baby - taking 5-6oz in each feed and really try to drag it out to 3.5 hours in the day, in the evening she takes about 2oz at 5pm and a further 5-6oz at 6.30 and goes to bed. However the last week she has started waking between 8 and 9pm screaming and is definitely hungry but so tired and upset she won't feed for about 30mins til she calms down.

So last night when she woke at 9pm and made her bottle half and half with hungry baby as I had one carton, she had only about 3oz but slept til 4am!!! Unheard of - she barely goes 4 hrs at night.

So I am thinking at the moment of just putting her 6.30pm and her 11pm feed onto half and half - is this okay to do?? Keep her on 1 during the day as long as I can... does anyone else do this? She is almost 3 months now :thumbup:

I do this with Earl. I have slowly built up the amount of Hungry baby from 1 scoop:6 sccops (he has a 7oz feed) and he now takes 3scoops: 4 scoops. We use SMA and they combine really well as long as you use warm water and put the hungry baby in first as it cam be a bit thicker.

He has taken to it well and will most nights sleep through til about 4am from a 7pm bottle!! It's fab as he really needs quality sleep otherwise he's a nightmare to live with. He then goes back down til 7 (I give him first stage then, and throughout the day) and then sometimes, like today, back down again (he's still asleep! lol).

I'm not sure what we'll do once he gets to half and half, I think we may end up with an entire hungry baby bottle at bedtime before I'll consider putting it in during the day. I think we're having a bit of a growth spurt (great on Christmas day! :dohh:) as he was eating every 2 hours, draining 7oz bottles and he woke at 1am on Christmas morning, then 6am and wouldn't sleep as he was achey (moans when you hold him thanks to growing pains). I think that's why he's still asleep.

u really shudnt mix different powders.

i put zane on hungery baby milk at 2 months as he was constantly hungery but wouldnt take more oz.

so id try more oz at her feeds or just swap to stage 2

I give Alex aptamil stage one durinbg the day but for his last bed time feed i give him hungry baby and he seems fine.

It's a miracle!!
She slept from her 6.30pm bottle until 3am!!! - then fed really well and wasn't upset and slept til 7am and she has been a joy to live with all day

It is def not recommended to mix them as they are a different kind of milk.

I agree I dont think its a good idea to be mixing stage 1 with stage 2 in the same bottle as they are different milks. Ure LO could end up dehydrated or constipated as a result I would imagine????????????

If you want to gradually introduce stage 2 then I would start introducing it as a full feed (i.e last bottle at night) and see how u go.

I agree I dont think its a good idea to be mixing stage 1 with stage 2 in the same bottle as they are different milks. Ure LO could end up dehydrated or constipated as a result I would imagine????????????

If you want to gradually introduce stage 2 then I would start introducing it as a full feed (i.e last bottle at night) and see how u go.

i agree with this, it could also cause damage to lo's digestive system in the long run

i agree with this, it could also cause damage to lo's digestive system in the long run

How is this different from giving them stage 1 at one feed and then hungry baby a couple of hours later? As long as you are making the milk up with the same ratio/concentrations as on the box then it won't can't cause constipation or dehydration.

Both milks are 1 scoop per 30ml of water. They are very similar except the different type of protein (whey v casein). I know people have been told from Aptamil and HV's to introduce it slowly by increasing the number of scoops of hungry baby in a bottle of first eg if you make up 180ml (7 scoops) try 1 scoop of HB:6 First and increase...

I used to mix aptamil first and breastmilk as well - which is very widely accepted and this potentially coud cause more probs as breast milk changes composition eg fore milk and hind milk

theres a difference as u seem to have mixed the two different powders together and in my opinion its not needed if u want to give ur lo stage 2 then just use stage 2 milk.

stage 2 milk is linked to causing constipation ect never did with my son but to then mix this milk with a different one i dont see the point

Both milks are 1 scoop per 30ml of water. They are very similar except the different type of protein (whey v casein). I know people have been told from Aptamil and HV's to introduce it slowly by increasing the number of scoops of hungry baby in a bottle of first eg if you make up 180ml (7 scoops) try 1 scoop of HB:6 First and increase...

See this is where HVs let themselves down, I was told not to mix formulas and when I was changing from SMA (as it caused constipation for DD) to Aptamil I was told to just switch, same again for when I changed from number 1 to 3 as mixing can apparently cause issues. But I do take what any HV says with a pinch of salt and make up my own mind anyway as they all give such different advice.

ETA: I must say although I do not always follow the HVs advice in this instance I did as I thought it sounded a bit odd to mix formulas seeing as each formula is made differently

Hmmmm

Now I'm confused lol. Earl is now having a bottle of hungry baby (7oz) at bedtime and the rest is just stage 1. They're both SMA so you'd like to think that there wouldn't be that much difference.

i dont get why you would feed different milks at different feeds, or why you would mix them

i dont get why you would feed different milks at different feeds, or why you would mix them

I give Earl Hungry baby milk at bedtime for 2 reasons - 1 otherwise he's awake every 3 hours to eat, and 2 I've been advised that he doesn't need 56oz a day, so by giving him the hungry baby he will sleep, only wake once, and will eat 42-49oz in a day (5-6 x 7oz bottles stage 1 and 1 x 7oz bottle of HB). As a large boy, he 'should' be on about 38oz a day (weighs about 15lb now) so this is about right.

He also gets very moody indeed if he doesn't get enough sleep and to be honest I would rather do this than have him permanently tired like he was before. He doesn't need to be on Hungry baby milk all the time, but this works well. Thankfully he doesn't seem to have suffered any ill effects....if anything, he's more regular and sleeps so much better, he's a different baby! :thumbup:

I give Earl Hungry baby milk at bedtime for 2 reasons - 1 otherwise he's awake every 3 hours to eat, and 2 I've been advised that he doesn't need 56oz a day, so by giving him the hungry baby he will sleep, only wake once, and will eat 42-49oz in a day (5-6 x 7oz bottles stage 1 and 1 x 7oz bottle of HB). As a large boy, he 'should' be on about 38oz a day (weighs about 15lb now) so this is about right.

He also gets very moody indeed if he doesn't get enough sleep and to be honest I would rather do this than have him permanently tired like he was before. He doesn't need to be on Hungry baby milk all the time, but this works well. Thankfully he doesn't seem to have suffered any ill effects....if anything, he's more regular and sleeps so much better, he's a different baby! :thumbup:

ok so I know this isnt about the issue asked but my LO is now taking in 7oz every 3-4 hrs even during the night and he is 7weeks old I havent did the math but should he be having less? was asking as my LO seems to be a lot like yours lol! I live in the US and dont know whether we have anything comparable to hungry baby milk but with the brand I use there isnt anything that I know of so Ive thought about introducing cereal in the next month or so but dont know would that be a bad idea? :shrug:

ok so I know this isnt about the issue asked but my LO is now taking in 7oz every 3-4 hrs even during the night and he is 7weeks old I havent did the math but should he be having less? was asking as my LO seems to be a lot like yours lol! I live in the US and dont know whether we have anything comparable to hungry baby milk but with the brand I use there isnt anything that I know of so Ive thought about introducing cereal in the next month or so but dont know would that be a bad idea? :shrug:

I would check to see if your brand of milk has a 'hungry' version. Website should be able to tell you. The guidelines are 2.5x their weight in oz's. My HV at clinic said to try this to get him to drop just 1 bottle as he was way over.

Hungry baby is designed to delay weaning to the recommended age if 6 months.....It would be worth a try to delay it at least til 4 months (I don;t know what the recommendations are in the US, but I would speak to your HV/Dr before giving solids.

As it happens Earl's appetite jumped again over xmas, and after 4 day of feeding every 2 hours, I decided to introduce HB full time and it seriously hasn't agreed with Earl so we're back on first stage and I'm trying to get him to take 8/9oz a feed. He's now much happier even after just 1 bottle of standard stuff but I don't know how we'll do at night....I guess we'll find out tonight. Earl is 10 weeks today, so only 7 more weeks until we can 'unofficially' wean but I will be speaking to the HV at clinic to get the info etc before that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->