Combining Breast & (expressed) Bottle Feeding

Sarah88

Full time working mummy
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has successfully combined breast and expressed bottle feeding? I'm considering doing this until the thrush heals up, it will only be one or 2 bottles a day to give my nipples a break. But I don't want to do it if it will cause confusion to Savannah as she's only 3wks old. If I do do it then i'll be buying bottles that are approved by a lactation consultant to imitate the breast as i'll be going back to exclusively bf'ing once we're all healed.
Any advice?

Some babies have no issues at all... some do, I think it has alot to do with the personlity of your baby.

Some babies will switch fine, others won't. Bottles are much easier for babies to use, so some don't like having to go back to 'work' for their milk! I would get advice from the lactation consultant, they will give you the best advice.

Well she seems to be going ok, she had a bottle today and also bf. She latched on properly which was great! It's only a short term thing but i'm hoping it goes well

Yipppeeeee :happydance: Sounds like you will be fine hon. Well done for perservering with bf despite the thrush!!

Thanks :) I think I would be majorly disappointed in myself if I didn't give bf'ing a proper go, and since i've had thrush and mastitis I haven't really known what it's like normally.

Hey girl! Congrats on breastfeeding....it is quite amazing! My son could easily interchange between breast and bottle. We got breastflow bottles, which are supposed to be contoured the same was a human nipple. I'm sure your baby will be fine, I wish you success!

Thanks :) I got a bottle that is sposed to be interchangable with breastfeeding, so far so good. I spent this afternoon working on our bf'ing latch, it's getting alot better; just a matter of persistance and practice. But it is so good to not have to spend 2hrs feeding in the very early hours of the morning, I just make sure I express when she feeds so my supply stays up.
I just find it so annoying coz she'll spend an hour or longer bf'ing, stopping and starting coz she'll fall asleep but she'll fill herself up from a bottle without falling asleep. Its kinda annoying, do you get this?

yeah i do it and jacks fine with it, i breast feed til about 2 and then i give him a bottle and then i carry on breast feeding and then i sometimes give him another bottle, If shes good with breast feeding thet you should be fine, i also give him a bottle just b4 his bed time but then i breast feed once in the night, if u get a breast pump you can just put your breast milk in bottle and it doesnt hurt your nipples, i've started pumping alot more which i like

Thanks :) I got a bottle that is sposed to be interchangable with breastfeeding, so far so good. I spent this afternoon working on our bf'ing latch, it's getting alot better; just a matter of persistance and practice. But it is so good to not have to spend 2hrs feeding in the very early hours of the morning, I just make sure I express when she feeds so my supply stays up.
I just find it so annoying coz she'll spend an hour or longer bf'ing, stopping and starting coz she'll fall asleep but she'll fill herself up from a bottle without falling asleep. Its kinda annoying, do you get this?

In the early days when Amelia was not so alert she would always always fall asleep on me, and i would be constantly blowing on her cheek, poking her ears, playing with her feet, fingers, toes etc.
But now she is more awake she likes to look around, sometimes forgetting she is still attached to me, that can be pretty painful! :hissy::cry:
Plus they get more and more efficient at feeding you should find that her feeding times will reduce quite a lot. :baby:

Tonight I tested my express pump and pumped some (about 60 ml) into a bottle and LO took the bottle from Daddy fine and then as it was just a test she drank the second part from my breast and this was back to back. :)

However, she absolutely refused to drink the bottle if there is formula in it.....

Heavens knows what we'll do when she goes to day care in February.

Hopefully, we'll have it sorted by then as at the moment, she's only 3 weeks ... :)

Could u not express for her when she goes into day care? Start now an store it in the freezer.I haven'ttried giving Ava formula but i've got heaps of milk so dont need to

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"