Comfort suckling

LadyRoy

Reaction score
My husband doesn't agree with letting my 6 week old baby comfort suck, he thinks it takes up too much of my time and it will make her clingy.

What are your opinions and experiences?

you need an option for boob and dummy - I let my LO suck on the boob for 10 mins after a feed, then I'll give him a dummy instead as I have very sore boobs at the moment!

Babies are designed to comfort suck. My LO was a permenant attachement on the boob when she was little either eating or comfort sucking. She still likes a comfrot suck sometimes now.

And she is the most independant, confident toddler ever. She has no problems sperating from me to go to her Child minder, grandmother. Today we have been to a volunteering event and she has been walking around "talking" to all the adults there. At baby groups she is the first one off and joining in the activities.

If anything the security of comfort sucking has helped her become more confident as she knows that I am always coming back for her and will give her what she needs (as opposed to waht she wants).

you need an option for boob and dummy - I let my LO suck on the boob for 10 mins after a feed, then I'll give him a dummy instead as I have very sore boobs at the moment!

Ooops sorry blame it on the sleep deprivation!!

I have tried her with a dummy but she hates it so for us it will be booby or nothing. I am not going to lie - sometimes it does get a bit much but mostly I enjoy the closeness I have with her :)

Mine comfort sucks on his thumb, can't really stop that.

I said on a dummy but I let him on the boob aswell but after a while he starts to hurt me so then I give him a dummy x

I'm another booby and pacifier gal.

I use both, I have no problem with comfort sucking on the boob, well up until about 45 mins then I'll pull her off!

I love comfort sucking, its so cute and I love the cuddles coupled with sitting on my bum/ laying down watching telly its the perfect combo!

Babies are still very dependent on mom at this stage. My DD1 comfort sucked for 2 yrs lol but she was VERY confident and secure when we went to playgroups and nurseries and stuff. Its absolutely fine and will not make LO "clingy". Comfort sucks increase security in the baby which then translates into a secure child. X

My ds used to comfort suck an awful lot an my nipples started to get sore from it. However he discovered his fists last week and my boobs aren't getting such a battering anymore. He only tends to comfort suck during the evening now

I voted breast only, mostly because Owen wont take a pacifier so we are boobies only. I would love him to take a pacifier so i would be able to cook and do things around the house without taking an extremely long time lol

My kids have both used booby and pacifiers. They both rejected the pacifier pretty early (3-4 months). Otter then started sucking his thumb and still does. DK still uses me to comfort suck. Sometimes allllll night long. :roll:

my little guy is comfort sucking on the boobie right now :) he is almost 8 weeks

Both for us! Lo rejected the dummy at 6 months and booby has got less and less. She only comfort suckles now if she is ill or if she has hurt herself.

My DD comfort sucks all the time and I let her.
If my boob comforts her, then that's great, she won't take a pacifier.
It's fine with me, soon enough she won't want me to hold her all the time no more as it is, so I'm enjoying it now, they're only little for a very short time!

Bethan still sometimes comfort sucks when she's stressed/poorly/fallen asleep on the boob, and she's really confident! I have trouble keeping her with me at playgroup! I've yet to see evidence of this whole 'breastfeeding/comfort sucking makes clingy babies'; my breastfeeding group is like a circus sometimes because the babies are so independent!

Sorry for the silly question but how can you tell the difference between feeding and comfort sucking? :blush:

Sorry for the silly question but how can you tell the difference between feeding and comfort sucking? :blush:

I couldnt for a long time! Lo does a fast but shallow suck when it's just for comfort if that makes sense.

For us, when she's having a feed, it's a really intent, deep sucking, but when it's comfort sucking, it's really light and quick sucking. That was a rubbish explanation, but I can't really explain any better! I didn't realise that it wasn't proper feeding until she was at least a few months old...

for me comfort sucking feels like a fluttering, rather than an intentional suck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->