Comfort suckling

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by LadyRoy, Jun 3, 2011.

?

Should you allow comfort sucking?

1. Never!

2. Only on the booby

3. On the booby until a certain age (please specify :))

4. Using a dummy or other pacifier

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. LadyRoy

LadyRoy Well-Known Member

My husband doesn't agree with letting my 6 week old baby comfort suck, he thinks it takes up too much of my time and it will make her clingy.

What are your opinions and experiences?

2. Nervous_1

Nervous_1 Well-Known Member

you need an option for boob and dummy - I let my LO suck on the boob for 10 mins after a feed, then I'll give him a dummy instead as I have very sore boobs at the moment!

3. Celesse

Celesse Well-Known Member

Babies are designed to comfort suck. My LO was a permenant attachement on the boob when she was little either eating or comfort sucking. She still likes a comfrot suck sometimes now.

And she is the most independant, confident toddler ever. She has no problems sperating from me to go to her Child minder, grandmother. Today we have been to a volunteering event and she has been walking around "talking" to all the adults there. At baby groups she is the first one off and joining in the activities.

If anything the security of comfort sucking has helped her become more confident as she knows that I am always coming back for her and will give her what she needs (as opposed to waht she wants).

4. LadyRoy

LadyRoy Well-Known Member

Ooops sorry blame it on the sleep deprivation!!

I have tried her with a dummy but she hates it so for us it will be booby or nothing. I am not going to lie - sometimes it does get a bit much but mostly I enjoy the closeness I have with her :)

5. littleL

littleL Well-Known Member

Mine comfort sucks on his thumb, can't really stop that.

6. Natalie Flynn

Natalie Flynn mum of 3 expecting #4

I said on a dummy but I let him on the boob aswell but after a while he starts to hurt me so then I give him a dummy x

7. Seity

Seity Mom to Gabriel and Samuel

I'm another booby and pacifier gal.

8. Cat_pj

Cat_pj Well-Known Member

I use both, I have no problem with comfort sucking on the boob, well up until about 45 mins then I'll pull her off!

I love comfort sucking, its so cute and I love the cuddles coupled with sitting on my bum/ laying down watching telly its the perfect combo!

9. Lightworker

Lightworker Well-Known Member

Babies are still very dependent on mom at this stage. My DD1 comfort sucked for 2 yrs lol but she was VERY confident and secure when we went to playgroups and nurseries and stuff. Its absolutely fine and will not make LO "clingy". Comfort sucks increase security in the baby which then translates into a secure child. X

10. Rockell8788

Rockell8788 Well-Known Member

My ds used to comfort suck an awful lot an my nipples started to get sore from it. However he discovered his fists last week and my boobs aren't getting such a battering anymore. He only tends to comfort suck during the evening now

11. nullaby

nullaby Well-Known Member

I voted breast only, mostly because Owen wont take a pacifier so we are boobies only. I would love him to take a pacifier so i would be able to cook and do things around the house without taking an extremely long time lol

12. TigerLady

TigerLady CaveTiger Clan Mama

My kids have both used booby and pacifiers. They both rejected the pacifier pretty early (3-4 months). Otter then started sucking his thumb and still does. DK still uses me to comfort suck. Sometimes allllll night long. :roll:

13. momto4girls

momto4girls Well-Known Member

my little guy is comfort sucking on the boobie right now :) he is almost 8 weeks

14. Katt

Katt Well-Known Member

Both for us! Lo rejected the dummy at 6 months and booby has got less and less. She only comfort suckles now if she is ill or if she has hurt herself.

15. Lilly12

Lilly12 Mommy & #2 on board

My DD comfort sucks all the time and I let her.
    If my boob comforts her, then that's great, she won't take a pacifier.
    It's fine with me, soon enough she won't want me to hold her all the time no more as it is, so I'm enjoying it now, they're only little for a very short time!

16. T-Bex

T-Bex Mother of one

Bethan still sometimes comfort sucks when she's stressed/poorly/fallen asleep on the boob, and she's really confident! I have trouble keeping her with me at playgroup! I've yet to see evidence of this whole 'breastfeeding/comfort sucking makes clingy babies'; my breastfeeding group is like a circus sometimes because the babies are so independent!

17. Lover

Lover Mummy to Leo & Rosalie

Sorry for the silly question but how can you tell the difference between feeding and comfort sucking? :blush:

18. Katt

Katt Well-Known Member

I couldnt for a long time! Lo does a fast but shallow suck when it's just for comfort if that makes sense.

19. T-Bex

T-Bex Mother of one

For us, when she's having a feed, it's a really intent, deep sucking, but when it's comfort sucking, it's really light and quick sucking. That was a rubbish explanation, but I can't really explain any better! I didn't realise that it wasn't proper feeding until she was at least a few months old...

20. Nervous_1

Nervous_1 Well-Known Member

for me comfort sucking feels like a fluttering, rather than an intentional suck