Coming off bc pill

MrsLuckyOne

Reaction score
I stopped the bc pill on 8/11 and if I hadn't, I was due for AF on 9/4. Of course I was having crazy side effects leading me to believe I was pregnant, but low & behold, yesterday 9/5 AF started, only 1 day from the 'normal' date.

My question is: since I'm having AF now, does this mean I ovulated approx. 14 days ago causing this? Do we only get AF when we ovulate? I should have done an opk after stopping the pill but hubby & I weren't expecting much...but now that my AF is here, is this a good sign that my cycles will be the average 28ish days? I'm so confused if I ovulated this past month in order to get AF!

Help! (been on bcp 10 years and 1st time ever stopping it)

Sorry hun...ttc after bcp is SO confusing!!!

You can get AF without ovulating sadly...see below from www.americanpregnancy.org

"Can I have a period and still not have ovulated?

Having a period does not necessarily mean that ovulation has taken place. Some women may have what is called an anovulatory cycle, (meaning no ovulation) and can experience some bleeding which is mistaken for a period, but it is actually not a true period. This bleeding is caused by either a buildup in the uterine lining that can no longer sustain itself or by an estrogen level drop. The main way to decipher if ovulation is in fact taking place is by tracking the body temperature."

My first 2 cycles after stopping bcp were 29 days BUT I ovulated super late [day 21 and day 18 I think] so I'm trying to make them longer by having a longer luteal phase [the part of your cycle after you ovulate] - anything less than 10 days is potentially an issue...not everyone will ovulate 14 days before their period, it's also supposedly more common for women stopping bcp to have a shorter luteal phase their first few cycles after stopping bcp, but that hasn't been proven or anything.

I'm currently on my 3rd cycle, O'd cd 22 and I'm currently on cd 29...fx I get a :bfp: and not :witch:

Good luck! :dust:

I stopped the bc pill on 8/11 and if I hadn't, I was due for AF on 9/4. Of course I was having crazy side effects leading me to believe I was pregnant, but low & behold, yesterday 9/5 AF started, only 1 day from the 'normal' date.

My question is: since I'm having AF now, does this mean I ovulated approx. 14 days ago causing this? Do we only get AF when we ovulate? I should have done an opk after stopping the pill but hubby & I weren't expecting much...but now that my AF is here, is this a good sign that my cycles will be the average 28ish days? I'm so confused if I ovulated this past month in order to get AF!

How are you trying to extend your luteal phase?

Right now I'm trying somewhat natural methods...I'm taking vitex, vitamin B6 and red raspberry leaf supplements which are all supposed to help with this issue. I'm enclosing a link to what I bought on amazon - it includes a lot of reviews from women with the same issue if you want some light reading lol. They explain it better than I can...

https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Way-Raspberry-Leaves-Capsules/dp/B000AR8PXW/ref=pd_sim_hpc_1

https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Way-...?ie=UTF8&qid=1378487939&sr=8-1&keywords=vitex

Also these are really great articles on luteal phase defects:

https://natural-fertility-info.com/luteal-phase-defect.html

https://www.babyhopes.com/articles/luteal-phase-defect.html

IF after 3 months, I'm still having this issue, I'm definitely going to talk to my doctor about it. If I know something is wrong, I'm not waiting a year!

My personal experience is that I did not ovulate the first month of BC, I know this as I have a fertility monitor. After that though I did and super early like between CD 8-12!

Oh and my first cycle was heavy and weird my nipples were so sensitive my t shirt would drive them nuts and I SWORE I was pregnant. I totally get it:thumbup:

Hi Hun,
I actually stopped BCP same weekend as you, I was using clearblue advanced digital ovulation tests and got a positive reading on cycle day 14, I was also temping and got my temp rise on CD15 so I am thinking I ovulated :shrug:. I have had a lot of cramps this cycle which I think is my body adjusting being off the pill. I was on the pill about 6 years before DD then since having DD been back on 7.5 years. (we have waited along time to come back!!!) On TTC DD it took 5 cycles to get BFP so bit worried how long it might take this time due to both being older but we will keep going :)

I am going to keep temping but just bought cheap ovulation tests as I didn't think much of clearblue ovulation test :-(

Good luck and keep me posted on how your cycles go x

Hello

I stopped taking the mini-pill on August 8th and got AF the 9th which was when I was due to start anyway. I am confused as to if it was a period or withdraw bleed as should have got AF again by now.

MrsLuckyOne I completely understand I too got the crazy symptoms, all which are the same as pregnancy. They have calmed down now thank god as I was getting my hopes up and feeling a little crazy.

I too am going to try B6 and have heard Zinc is also good.

How long did it take for everyone to start their cycles again?

I stopped microgynon 30 on the 30th june, had my af 6th july then my next on 4th august exactly 29 days later, from about CD16 I had sore nipples and some cramps on and off. This month I haven't had any sore nipples but I used the clear blue digital advanced opk and got my 4 high & 2 peak CD13/14 but Im now 8 days late, was due 2/9. Had been on it 6 years. Tbh wish id never been on it now!

I stopped BCP 24th June and had little bleeding 26-27th. I then had a 48 day cycle, fertility friend confirmed O on CD36 meaning my LP was only 11 days. I started taking Vitamin B6 at the beginning of the next cycle (my last one) and ovulated on CD16 and had a 12 day LP so I think it's working! Unfortunately AF arrived yesterday :cry: so its on to cycle 3 for us!

Just started taking B6 and Zinc today so will see if it helpd kickstart AF again with hope.
5 dyas late now feeling impatient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"