Condoms...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by ladyty2k, Aug 26, 2009.

1. ladyty2k

ladyty2k Mummy of one

I have been doing my research on the net about condoms as we are going to use this as our contraception after baby is here, the pill doesnt agree with me and i dont like putting hormones into my body, took me long enough to conceive this one...i know i shouldnt read into things too much on net but i have a few questions after reading some stuff, wondered what you all thought????

1. I read that sometimes condoms have little holes in that cannot be noticed, is this true?? Can they be sold like that????Surely if it had holes it would break?

2. Would you feel it/know if a condom broke/failed?

3. Can checking them afterwards help to know if it has failed? i.e filling with water??

Thanks ladies, just wanted some reassurance we will be ok with them. I understand they need to be used every time etc to be as effective as they can be...
    x

2. milena_woking

milena_woking Well-Known Member

I dont know much about it as we have only used them few times but when it break you will def see!

3. sara k

sara k Well-Known Member

we didnt use condom before but my husband told me an other day...sometimes condom fails....i think if u are gonna breastfeed ur baby...u wont need condom...is that right...i heard but not sure..i was happy bc i m gonna breast feed but dont know is that true...:blush:

4. milena_woking

milena_woking Well-Known Member

My MW told me that breastfeeding can fail easly as you can start ovulating any time so u wouldnt know when and u can get pregnant..

5. ladyty2k

ladyty2k Mummy of one

yes i heard that too, i dont think i would trus the breastfeeding thing....condoms all the way!

6. PrettyBonk

PrettyBonk Alex,Abigail,&Grace's mom

Yes condoms fail...I used the ALOT with my oh at the beginning and they would break...ANY BRAND...any size...sometimes we knew they broke and sometimes we didn't...
    One time his spermy came out from the top...he made sure it was well places and it was tight...we used to check them afterwards...but they are never 100% safe...
    We stop using them because we both hated them...I don't like the pill...because I forget to take them and I get sick....the ring feel horrible...and the shot I would never since I can spot for 3 months straight..nasty...I'm not using the patch ew ew ew...I'm doing the 5 year thing...
    and you SHOULD ALWAYS USE BIRTH CONTROL IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO GET PREGNANT EVEN IF YOU ARE BREAST FEEDING...My mom got pregnant with my little brother and she was breast feeding my sister...

nothing is 100%...the only thing that is is to keep mister away from misses. lol

7. Bournefree

Bournefree Well-Known Member

Have have used condoms frequently in the past... here's my knowledge on your questions;

1. Only buy condoms that have the "Britsh Kite" stamp on them. They are all individually tested at manufacture for the slightest inperfection.
    Condoms are only really as effective as the users...

Some do's and don'ts:
    *make sure the condoms you are using are in date - don't rely on one that is found in your otherhalves old wallet.!!!
    *make sure that you and your partner are confident with putting them on and taking them off - it is important that you don't stay together for a long period after ejactulation.. as nice at it might feel. Once your parner has ejaculated, he will start to loose his errection and therefore the secure hold of the condom will be lost - risking sperm entering the vagina.
    *Make sure that the teet at the top is pinched as you put them on. Otherwise you get a pocket of air which can become pressurised during intercourse, and may be a failing point.
    * Try not to handle the condom too much during intercourse.. or foreplay - (it should really on be put on just before intercourse) the reason for this - is the most common reason for the condom breaking is actually people nails breaking the latex.. so look after your nails making sure they are not chipped or cracked.
    *It is however important to make sure that the condom is kept in place, and your parner may want to make sure that it is rolled down to the base of the penis from time to time during sex. You might be able to feel it in the entrance to your vagina, if it is ridding up - this can also be avoided by making sure that you are both fully turned on (great excuse to get really revved up before hand), this also makes sure that you are lubricated (Most condoms are covered in a anti-spermicidal lubricant to help avoid these problems)
    * Condoms come in a range of thicknesses and also in a range of widths - for example Durex has a range of about 10 or more. Check the packets.. if your partner has a particularly wide shaft, he might find it uncomfortable and too restrictive in some of the smaller widths (try 53mm if this is the case) Equally, it is important to make sure that it isn't too loose. Go and investigate the different types in Boots or Superdrug where you will be able to read the lables and handle the boxes (you don't ideally, want to be doing this in a sainsburys local or a petrol station - where they are usally kept behind the counter!!)
    *use a condom suitable for the type of sex that you and your partner have - if you have very vigorious sex.. it isn't advisable to use the ultra-thin-second-skin ones - they will be more likley to break.
    *never use the same condom for anal and vaginal sex, and never use the same condom twice.
    *Don't flush condoms down the toilet, they are not degradable, and could block your loo. Tie a knot in the end, place in tissue and put in the bin.
    *Remember condoms don't have to be Latex.. some people are allergic to Latex. There are non-Latex ones made of polypropaline.. but for me they have the feel of a plasic bag!!

2. It is possible to feel a condom that has broken.. it will suddenly feel warmer, more lubricanted and more intense.. but remember this is not always the case - your parner is more likley to see if it has broken, afterall most men like watching themselves going in and out.

3. I wouldn't recomend checking them after by filling them with water etc... for several reasons:
    *close handling of the condom after is when a break is more likely to occur.
    *The condom will be covered on the outside with your natural lubricants, and the inside with sperm - making it rather slippery.
    *You also risk getting sperm all over your hands which you may then tranfer to your body.

Other points:
    *Condoms can be expensive, but you don't have to pay for them - you can get them free from your local GUM clinic at the hospital or family planning centre - numbers will be on the net, or in your local telephone directory. However, if you want choice of widths, thicknesses, colours, textures (ribbed ones can make all the differance for us ladies) or flavours... the shops have a greater chioce.
    *please DO NOT rely on breastfeeding as a form of contraceptive!!!!! It is a TOTAL MITH!!

I hope this helps - and you don't find my advice patronising.. I just wanted to be as full as I could.

Happy buying and using of your condoms :)
    xxxxx

8. CharlieP

CharlieP Mum to Charlie

Breastfeeding is defo not an effective form of contraception - my mum got pregnant with me when my bro was 5 months old!!

Condoms aren't 100% safe but no form of contraception is (except abstinence!)...the post above on do's and don't's is good!.

x

9. AtomicPink

AtomicPink Well-Known Member

I fell out with condoms when one broke and I wasnt amused to find a bit 'come out' the next day.

No good AT ALL if you've not long given birth either.

10. littlestar

littlestar Proud Mum to a Little Boy

Another note to add is that condoms stored near heat sources are more likely to fail - so not in wallets stored in back pocket as the latex degrades and becomes thinner. also bear in mind home heat sources - ie don't store them near a radiator.

we used the pill and condoms in the past though after LO is here i won't ever be going back on the pill now i realised the nasty things it did to my body. it masked some of my health issues. we bulk buy condoms on the net works out loads cheaper if you don't have chance to go to the gum clinics etc.

11. ladyty2k

ladyty2k Mummy of one

thanks ladies, a really good response there...i thinkwe will be ok then as long as we follow the rules and make sure we use them all the time...

It seems like we would know if one had failed anyway then....
    x thanks again x