Confused about how far long I am?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by EternalRose, Aug 26, 2009.

1. EternalRose

EternalRose Well-Known Member

When I first got my bfp, the nurse told me to do it from the first day of my last menstrual period which was the 15th July, that makes me 6 weeks today. However, some due date calculators online want you to input your average cycle length now my periods are usually on the same day each month...usually..which makes my cycles around 31-32 days I think, im not sure?? I just input my last period on an nhs calculator, and put in 32 days as cycle length and it tells me im flipping 5 weeks :growlmad: Which one am i? :wacko:

2. franiss

franiss Mum to a beautiful boy

Docs go from LMP regardless of cycle length, then when you have your first scan they may put u back/forward a couple of days. I would say you are 6 weeks until you are told differently by doc/midwife
    xx

3. Flick

Flick Well-Known Member

I think it's all a guess, unless you know exactly when you conceived :)
    I believe the ones asking for your cycle length assume you conceived 14 days before your next period would have been.. i.e., for a 32 day cycle, would be ( 32 - 14) = day 18. Otherwise they go by 28 days (28-14) - day 14.

.. and then they go back 2 weeks before that to start counting... So if they are going by a 28 day cycle, that takes you back to day one. But on a 32 day cycle, that takes you back to day 4... oh man, now I'm making no sense ;)

Could be wrong tho ;)

4. ladypotter

ladypotter Three Girls!!!

well the difference between a 28 day cycle and a 32 day cycle is 4 days which can make a difference between a 5 and 6wk pg. It really depends more on your ovulation date more than the start of your period and length. I would bet you are closer to a 5wk pg than 6wks with a 31-32 day cycle because most people only have a 10-14 day leutal phase (the time between after ovulation and your period), so you are a late O'er...In my opinion.

5. eeyore83

eeyore83 Well-Known Member

You'll find out more when you have your first scan. My dr went by my lmp, which puts me almost at 11 weeks now. However, my cycle is 40 days, so I knew I wasn't that far along. The scan confirmed I was about 2 weeks earlier than that.

6. EternalRose

EternalRose Well-Known Member

ah ok thanks ladies, I guess Im just going to have to wait this one out, and see what they say at the scan, Im going for an early scan next week im not sure if i should put it back, just so i can see a bit more, but they can see a heartbeat at 5 weeks anyway cant they, I was hoping id be 7 weeks next wednesday x

7. ladypotter

ladypotter Three Girls!!!

Towards the end of the fifth week they should / MAY be able to see a heartbeat, but sometimes people don't see it until in their 6th week. Good luck!! :)

8. twinkletoes80

twinkletoes80 Pregnant with my first

Oh that is so annoying, like the first trimester doesnt drag enough without having to lose a week!!
    Do you have any idea of when you ovulated? I am working from date of ovulation xx

9. Sazzoire

Sazzoire Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat... lmp was 10th July but I think that I have a 37ish day cycle... will that make me 5 or 6 weeks pregnant?
    xx

10. Heidi

Heidi Mummy to two girls

Hey hun, its frustrating isn't it. I was having irregular cycles my LMP was 6th of July! lol
    So i'm going by the date i O'd and also FF predicts when your due by O also. I'm sure my date will be moved about. Hope you can find out soon xxx

11. fluffyblue

fluffyblue Loving being mommy

they did this with me last pregnancy I thought I was 5 they put me at 4 becuase of a 31 day cycle, 9 times out of ten they are right x

12. ethan amelia

ethan amelia Mummy to Isabelle

like others ahve said it will go by first scan. judging by my LMP i should be over 10 weks now but was put back at my first scan as they measurd bubs. It was disappointing to lost that week and half!! i guess i must have ovulated later thatn i thought xx