Confused about making homemade baby food!

babymumm

My beautiful son matthew
Reaction score
Hello everyone.i am just posting this in order to hopefully get some good tips.i would like to start making my own baby food for my 6 month old son,yet I feel a little bewildered by it all.i mainly want to do it so he gets healthy food and save a little money..i'm not the best cook in da world but would really like to cook.my babys food..i know I have to puree food but my real questions are...

How do I steam veg & fruit without a steamer?or should I buy one?
Has anyone got any time saving tips?as im a single mother...
How do I defrost his food?
Do I have to peel apples,pears etc
Just feel like I dont have the time or a clue what Im doing but don't wanto.just feed him jars all the time..thankyou all for any tips..ideas or experiences x x

You don't have to steam the food. You can boil it. Steaming reserves more nutrients but boiling is absolutely fine. I boil mine.
Yes peel the skin off. Much easier for baby to eat and digest. Defrost frozen foods either in the fridge during the day, in hot water or microwave but if you do the last be careful as it will get very hot quickly. Time Wise make big batches and freeze.
I use Annabel karmel book. Great recipes which are easy to cook. Honestly it's so simple. For example peel and chop apple, boil in a little water for a few minutes and puree..... Simple ans it tastes nice!

I have a steamer but never used it, instead i bought a steamer attachment from amazon and it cost next to nothing. I tended to cook up batches of fruit & veg separately, purée it and then freeze it separately in ice cube trays so that I could pop out a few cubes of whatever I needed in advance. I also peeled everything before steaming it.

Good luck, I will be doing exactly the same again when this LO is ready for weaning!!

Thankyou I just feel I wont have time as my baby always needs my attention but I will try your suggestions thankyou.also I only have a kitchen blender? Should I buy a hand blender or something? X thanks fr replies :)

No kitchen blender is fine!!!!! Try doing it in large batches. Perhaps once a week cook lots ans freeze.

No kitchen blender is fine!!!!! Try doing it in large batches. Perhaps once a week cook lots ans freeze.
Thanku guess ive just gotta give it a go..just feel like it take too much tine but basically get my veg n fruit,peel boil puree in a pot n freeze n then defrost fr next day....sounds easy when writin it but just hope I get the hang of it.defo dont want hin eating jars all the time x also do I just gradually make them less pureed after a,while?? X

I boil vegetables and fruit and then just puree them with a simple hand blender. When you start it is easiest to mix whatever you cook with some baby milk to make it nice and smooth. Try sweet potatoes, they are great to start with. I eventually mixed them with peas or spinach. Also pears and apples are great starter foods.

How do I steam veg & fruit without a steamer?or should I buy one? There are different ways but for me, buying an electric steamer was the best option and they do not have to cost the earth.I bought a pretty basic one from Tefal that was about £20 and wouldn't look back. Much easier to bung it in and walk away than stand over a pan
Has anyone got any time saving tips?as im a single mother...I'm not a single mother but work a 4 day week and do 99 % of things for the baby and am always rushing about. I would just say freezing is obviously your friend. Making stuff up in bigish batches and freezing..so easy. I always have loads of fruit purees and veg purees to hand in the freezer and the porrides/rice that just need you to add boiled water are fab
How do I defrost his food? When I was just doing veggies and fruit I would put the frozen food pot in the fridge over night to melt then take the edge off the next day by floating in hot water. Since doing that in the earlier days I've become more confident to use a microwave. I think as long as you are using with caution it's okay. Of course meats/fish etc can't just be put in hot water they need heating up to piping. Or, if you unsure heat up in a saucepan.
Do I have to peel apples,pears etc
Personally I'd advise yes at least to begin with. I peeled everything for pureeing. It's also best to wash the fruit or veg first so the peeler isn't transfering any muck from the skin to the flesh if you are playing it very safe
Just feel like I dont have the time or a clue what Im doing but don't wanto.just feed him jars all the time..thankyou all for any tips..ideas or experiences x x

I personally don't like the thought of the bought jars that are 'meals', casseroles and fish pie etc. It's just a personal opinion. However, I have used one or two squeezy pouches of fruit to save time or if I'm at someone elses house. They are useful for squeezing straight to the spoon or porridge. I am this week venturing into freezing my own 'meals' rather than just fruit and veg. I'm waiting on a tesco order right now and am hoping (!!) to maybe freeze some beef casserole (need to pop and buy some baby stock cubes though) and maybe some pasta with sauces (got my mini pasta all set!) and possibly some salmon or something. A bit aprehensive tbh but I was prior to weaning. Suddenly you just get into the swing.

Thankyou so much some great ideas I.ll let u know how I get on thankyou x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"