Confused about SMP...

Yazz_n_bump

Me, Fiancé & Jack! :)
Reaction score
Basically I leave work this Sunday, :thumbup: but I am using two weeks hoilday up first so I don't offically start maternity leave till the 14th Febuary.
I've put a claim in to my employer for SMP... this was four weeks ago, my boss told me it'd be a while to process but he'd tell me by two weeks what I'm owed etc.. accept he's gone on hoilday :dohh::growlmad: and isn't due back till Monday... :dohh::dohh:
So I have no idea how much i'm entitled to or anything which is really pissing annoying! I am entitled to it as they've said that much just not how much because my hours have varied over the past months from 60 hours to 20 hours but he said they'd work it out from how much I made when I was 25 weeks preg... which was £160. :shrug: Is that right?
I'm confused should I just go in on the Monday and talk to my boss? :shrug:
Because I won't be happy if it comes to me starting getting SMP and they still haven't sorted it out. :growlmad:

SMP is 90% of wages for the first 6 weeks then about £124 per week thereafter for the remaining 33 weeks. You can then take a further 13 weeks unpaid. The rubbish thing is it's still taxed.

I am assumuing you are on a contract and haqve been there a while as if not it might be a bit different, but the above is the norm for most x

i'd go in on monday and talk to your boss about it

SMP is really doing my head in atm so i cant shed any light on it sorry. All i know is that smp is worked out so you'll get 90% off your average weekly wages for the first 6 weeks then it goes down to 90% of the standard weekly rate or £124.88 a week, whichever is less

SMP is 90% of wages for the first 6 weeks then about £124 per week thereafter for the remaining 33 weeks. You can then take a further 13 weeks unpaid. The rubbish thing is it's still taxed.

I am assumuing you are on a contract and haqve been there a while as if not it might be a bit different, but the above is the norm for most x

Cheers chick, I knew about the 40 weeks paid thing which is good as I plan on getting a new part time job closer to home at around 30 weeks into my leave. It's a bit crap that it's taxed but I am hoping tax credits will help make up for it.
I have been there for about 35 weeks and on contract so I'm entitled to it, :happydance: just annoyed that I don't know if i'll be on the 90% or £124 as my hours have varied really badly.

i'd go in on monday and talk to your boss about it

SMP is really doing my head in atm so i cant shed any light on it sorry. All i know is that smp is worked out so you'll get 90% off your average weekly wages for the first 6 weeks then it goes down to 90% of the standard weekly rate or £124.88 a week, whichever is less

Thanks, it's doing my head in too. I wish when you told your employer at the beginning they'd just tell us then how much we'd be getting etc not last minute!
Going to go see my boss on monday, :dohh: typical though the first day of my maternity leave and I'll be going into work. Argh!

Yazz, you will defo get the 33 weeks at £124 per week. As for what the 90% might be, I'd assume they'd take an average of what your wage has been over the last twelve months or so as it seems fair. But fingers crossed you get as much as you can! I am dreading being on stat mat, we're really gonna struggle :cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->