Confused after 1st Dr. Appt

sweetB

Reaction score
I had my 1st appointment with my ob today (they called it a "pregnancy confirmation" visit) and it was very uneventful, so I feel a little let down. Thought they'd do a doppler, but my Dr. wouldn't because she said it was likely too early to hear a heartbeat. I thought they would do an ultrasound, but she said she can order one if I "really want one" but she doesn't see a reason to since I've had no cramps or bleeding or irregular cycles. I asked how do I know if there is really a baby in there (I've heard stories on here of blighted ovum, etc) and she said there is really no way to know unless you get the ultrasound-usually they just do the "wait and see" until 11 weeks comes around. So I left feeling like luckily nothing was wrong, but there wasn't really any confirmation of pregnancy.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Do you suggest doing the dating scan ultrasound at 7-8 weeks? I don't want to get more ultrasounds than are necessary but it seems hard to wait another full month to figure out how the baby is doing in there- or if it is really in there! Thanks for your thoughts on this :flower:

Hi I'm based in UK & over here you have a booking in appointment with midwife, where she checks your BP & takes a few blood tests & checks urine. Asks lots of questions about your family history & history of other pregnancies & books an ultrasound for 12 weeks. I was expecting more but I think this is the norm unless you are high risk!

Hi there :)

Yes that is usually how the first appointment goes. Generally women don't see the midwife until 8 weeks. Just family history and taking notes. Then the dating scan letter comes through around 12 weeks.

They can't do a scan for every woman to confirm pregnancy, it is just a case of wait and see, and before 6 weeks they generally can't see anything on an ultrasound which can make us more anxious! And generally the same for the doppler before 12 weeks, even 16 now with some midwives.

If you want to feel more relaxed and for it to feel more real, you could book a scan at 7 weeks :) They can generally see a heartbeat, even hear it maybe, and little arm and leg bugs :hugs:

thats how my appointment went too. had to wait over 4 weeks for my scan and i still have a week and a half to go yet! i feel like I'm making this pregnancy up as still no one has confirmed it! :/ ...... still at least the scan is getting closer :)

Definitely how the first appointment goes if your that early along. Unless your high risk, recent miscarriages or cramping/in pain.

As the others have said, that's pretty normal.

With DD, my midwife didn't do the doppler until weeks. She said any earlier it'd probably be difficult to get (thus increase worrying). As far as the scan goes, usually they aren't until 8-12 weeks. Some dr's don't even do a dating/viability scan. I've known a few people who didn't get their first scan until the 20 week anatomy scan.

The appointments will get more exciting though with the doppler :)

Yes they only do an early scan if you have irregular cycles or are high risk. Otherwise they wont do an early scan. Honestly the less scans the better as it hasnt been proven that too many unnecessary scans wont harm baby. Usually the confirmation of pregnancy happens via urine and blood tests. The blood test shows the hcg levels as confirmation same as their own positive pregnancy test. But unless its absolutely necessary there is no early scan. Heck im not getting an early scan done as there is no need at this point. My pregnancy was confirmed via urine test.

As for the doppler you are still too early for it to actually be detected. Right now it can be detected via a transvaginal ultrasound. Baby is too small right now to detect heartbeat. Often it can take up to an hour if it does get detected.

My doctor does things a little different. At your first official OB appointment, they do a pelvic exam, pap if necessary, blood work and ultrasound to check for a heartbeat. These are usually booked around 8 weeks so a heartbeat would be visible. Gave me lots of piece of mind!

Thanks for all your responses! I guess I didn't realize how uneventful the first visit is since I've seen ladies on here who've had the transvaginal us done earlier even. I agree that I don't want to get more ultrasounds than I need, and my hubby keeps saying its obvious I'm pregnant so we don't need to see the embryo to know that. I guess I'll just wait until the end of the first trimester to get any ultrasounds; they did make me an appointment in a month so seems like that one will be more exciting!

I have had 25+ u/s's with both of my daughters (high risk). There is no science that indicates it could cause future problems. I vote... if it will ease your worries... get the dating scan! they are much more accurate the earlier you have one done anyway. gl

I saw the nurse practitioner at 8 weeks. It was uneventful for me as well. Blood pressure, diet recommendations (ha, whatever I eat what I want), urine sample, went over what to expect throughout the pregnancy, weight (ok on second thought maybe I might look over the diet recommendations...) and drew blood.

Just had my 10 week appointment and got a full exam and even thought it took quite a bit of effort (like, him pushing my uterus up towards my abdomen) the doctor was able to find the heartbeat with the doppler!

Will now see the doctor every 4 weeks and have an ultrasound around 20 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->