Confused and upset by conflicting dating scans

bohemiangel

Reaction score
Hi all! Currently pregnant with my first, and unfortunately have been experiencing some complications. One week ago I was visiting some friends in a nearby city, and started experiencing some lower left sided abdominal pain. Went in to a nearby urgent care for an ultrasound and everything came back great- baby was in the right place, strong HR of 171, measuring 1.69 cm, with a gestational age of 8 weeks +1 day. That was great news, and the age was just slightly farther along than I thought I was by 1-2 days. That was on Monday, August 10th.

That Friday I had one episode of bleeding. The best I can describe it was like a sudden "gush" of a few tablespoons of blood that was accompanied by painful cramps. I thought I had miscarried. Went in the next day -Saturday, August 15th- for another ultrasound (I was on yet another trip at this point, this time in another state.) They found that the baby was still there. Heart rate was 176, but the CRL measurement was only 1.8cm. So that's a growth of only 0.11 cm in 5 days. Worse yet, the estimated gestational age by this radiologist was 7 weeks 6 days. By the first estimate 5 days earlier, I should have been almost 9 weeks.

I am now finally back home (and staying put for a good while now!!) and called my OB (whom I haven't even seen for a first visit yet). She basically told me to "watch and wait." I'm sure it complicated things by getting ultrasounds at two different locations with two different radiologists' interpretations... The difference may have been due to the use of different equipment at the two different locations, or even human error, but I am absolutely freaking out with this measurement difference thing. I am worried my baby isn't developing properly. Anyone have an experience like this and can give me some hope???

PS. Ignore the dates on the ticker below- that was based on LMP

I have no experience but your situation does sound very hopeful to me.. The heartbeat was there and strong both times .. You're not bleeding anymore ?

I have no experience but your situation does sound very hopeful to me.. The heartbeat was there and strong both times .. You're not bleeding anymore ?

Only very minimal light brown spotting. Nurse on call at my OB's office said it sounds like I may have passed a clot from a subchorionic hematoma, and now just getting rid of leftover old blood. Thankfully no more cramping or bright red blood. Thanks for the encouragement!! :flower:

I know it is hard, but try not to worry yet. This early it is easy to be off on dates by quite a bit, and to add to it you were scanned in two different places by two different people. If the heartbeat is strong then I would think that is a good sign. Unfortunately, at this stage that is all you really can do is watch and wait. Please try to just enjoy your pregnancy, because no matter the outcome you may regret it if you spent the whole time worrying.

:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"