Confused. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Starbunny711

Reaction score
Hi, everyone!

So, a few weeks ago, I went to my OB and the nurse-midwife there gave me progesterone pills to take to induce AF. They also did blood work that day. The next week, I went in for an ultrasound and they saw cysts on all my ovaries (not a surprise since I was diagnosed with PCOS at 18 and I'm now 25). That same day, I got to talk to the OB about my ultrasound and my bloodwork. She told me to finish out the progesterone and to also start with metformin immediately.

So, I started the metformin when I had 3 days of progesterone left to take. Within 2 full days of taking the metformin, I started to spot (first blood I had seen in over 80 days). The day of the spotting, I still had 1 progesterone pill left to take.

With me so far? The next day (i.e., the first day without progesterone), I started an EXTREMELY light period (required a pad, but just one the whole day). The next day, I had an even lighter flow. Since then, I've not had any bleeding.

My question is, am I still "waiting" on my progesterone fake period? It's been four days without progesterone. OR, was that just an extremely metformin-induced light period that canceled out the need for the heavier progesterone bleed?

I went ahead and started a new cycle (thank goodness) with the first day of the light menses, but I was kind of expecting a heaver period. My OB said my uterine lining was thin (which was good), so maybe I just didn't have much to shed?

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Hello, I dont know the level of progesterone your tablets contained, but usually progesterone will usually bring a full on bleed. I have PCOS too and I know alot of girls with PCOS use progesterone cream to regulate their periods, I am infact using Progesterone cream with added estrogen (first month using it) and 4 days into it it made me ovulate, which I can only think was the estrogen in it. I dont know why you haven't had a proper bleed, you would have thought it would be heavier. Progesterone is released when you have ovulated so the use of it tricks your body into thinking ovulation has already occurred and brings on a bleed, maybe the level of progesterone wasn't high enough? I read that women with PCOS often lack progesterone and so using something like natural progesterone cream works wonders for us.

I dont really know what else to say really, as you are bleeding I would just assume it is your period and starting counting your cycle from the first day of your bleeding.

Edited

Please read the forum rules

You may not link to third party forums, chatrooms, competing pregnancy/parenting resources, competing groups/pages or unapproved social networking Web Sites (Example: Formspring.me. The only approved sites at this time for personal pages only are: Facebook, Twitter, Bebo, YouTube, Myspace).

Sorry that just posted before I was ready!!! I can't see how to delete it so I'll carry on typing...incase you wondered why it ended so abruptly. x

Sorry that just posted before I was ready!!! I can't see how to delete it so I'll carry on typing...incase you wondered why it ended so abruptly. x

Haha, no worries! Yeah, the progesterone was 100 mg tablets and I took it for ten days, so I was really confused. Perhaps the metformin "canceled" it out?

I'm part of a pcos group on fb and one of the ladies on there knows alot about progesterone so she might be able to help you, if you want to join the link is:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/tinacpcossupportgroup/

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out. Yeah, I've taken the progesterone before (I used to take it EVERY month) and it always induced a "normal" bleed, so I was really (O_O) when it didn't this time. *Scratches head*. I thought about the possibility that it could have been implantation bleeding or something, but my chart didn't show ovulation, so I'm a bit bewildered.

I was on that at the end of December to induce my periods after not getting a period after coming off the depo shot. Here's what happened to me:
They told me it would induce a period within 3-5 days, it took longer than that for me. I think it took 1.5 weeks before I had any bleeding. And then, it was light spotting and dark brown color, not like a true period. From there I went on to have periods every 2 weeks exactly for 7 two-week cycles (talk about annoying). Then I had an 11 day period (started at the 2 week mark again).

So I think you need to give it time to work. The cycles each got more "normal" with bleeding flow. THey started more brown and spotty, and turned more bloody and normal each cycle. sorry- tmi.
In April, I started having normal cycles of 27-30 days. So in april, may, june I had normal cycles with normal flows.

I also want to add, be patient!!! through this time until you start regulating back to normal! Through all this, I don't think I actually ovulated until this past June cycle. I've kept close contact with my ob/gyn and he said it is the body and hormones re-regulating and it will take time. Also start temping in the morning so you can see your patterns and you can more easily see if you ovulated, and that will be helpful if you have problems conceiving for your doctor to analyze the cycles.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->