Confused, PCOS, DH low count, possible IVF

Lirpa11

Reaction score
Hi

A bit of background, DH and I have been trying since around last august. So going on 15 months now and counting. We tried for a few months, then stepped it up with timing, temping etc. then after 7 months off Bcp my cycles went crazy. I had a 45 day cycle, a 89 day cycle (with provera), went on the pill to get rid of cysts the fertility clinic found, and now we are back on the bandwagon... We thought.

So I found out I have pcos, and have been put on metformin as my insulin (I think) is high. Otherwise, I'm healthy and fit as can be. So thanks for that one genetics.

Then DH had his tests, his sperm count came in at 34million. A bit under, but I didn't think too bad. The doctor said otherwise though. DH sperm count is due to swollen veins which heat up his testes and reduce the sperm production. Has anyone else had this? It doesn't look like we have many options other than surgery to fix it if we need....

The doctor suggested IUI, or straight IvF. As there's no guarantee when I will ovulate and we could be testing for months, he said ivf would be best and quicker. DH wants to go straight for it, we are booked in for it in 3 weeks to start counseling etc...

There are so many things going on though, I'm just so confused and would like others to talk to. Anyone else have similar issued? Anyone conceive naturally? Is this our options or are there more? I'm willing to wait it out, DH is frustrated and said he can't do this another 6,8, 12 months and doesn't want to wait. He wants his family now...

FYI, we are both 26 so still young.

Anyhow, would love to talk to people, anyone in a similar situation. All we keep hearing is how hard it was for friends after 2-3 months TTC, and how we should relax, and how we should stop trying and it will happen, and how we shouldnt do ivf and how we can fix this,.... And I don't know. :shrug:

A bit more information,mew are currently in the process of moving countries, yep that's right! We live in Australia, and we are moving to usa early next year. DH is hoping we get lucky with ivf so we have a baby baking when we leave to usa. Also, here it costs $7200, but we spend $3800 out of pocket. I'm not sure how that will be in usa.

DH is also worried when we get there, after setting up in new jobs, sorting our house, it could be another 6-9 months before we are ready for IVF again. Usa wages are lower than here as well, and it appears ivf costs similar if not more with no government rebate. So DH wants to get it done and dusted...

I'm just worried as it sounds like a big risk to be taking.

I feel like crying, looking at ivf costs in usa, i don't know how we can afford it.

Looking at how long it takes I don't know if we will be pregnant before we leave.

I just don't know if anything is going to work out. :(

Sorry you are going through all of this. I hope and pray you get some answers soon and some clarity on the situation.

I can't give you a success story unfortunately (my hubby and I are about to start on our first IVF with ICSI) but I can tell you that the cost of IVF in the US is very high. Even if you get some of it covered on insurance (which not all insurance plans will do), you have to pay out of pocket for all the meds.

I will say though that at 34 million, your husband has around 30 million more sperm in his sample than my DH did on his first SA. Our dr said that anything above 20 million he would do IUI first and then move to IVF if the IUIs didn't work. So please, have some hope, your DH's sperm count is not as low as a number of ladies' partners on here and a number of them have had success with IVF. Everyone is praying for their miracle and I hope you get yours too.

xoxo

Oh and it sounds like your DH has a varicocele, which my DH had. He had surgery in Feb and it didn't make too much of a difference (his number went up from 3 million to about 7 million) so we still have to go through IVF/ICSI. Your DH should see a urologist about it to see if he can have the surgery. Bear in mind that the results from a varicocele may not be seen for up to 6 months to 1 year, so if you want to try for IVF now then don't wait for the op.

Good luck.

Thanks so much for your reply. I've read about the surgery and that improvements were only noticed in a small number of men. And your right about the sperm count, I honestly didn't think it was that bad as women have conceived naturally with around that much... But the doctor said you need all sperms behind one to push it forward.

The doctor said we could do IUI, but he was happy to go straight ivf as he thought it would be more likely to work quicker.

We will be staying here in Australia to do one or two rounds so we can get it done at $3800 out of pocket.

Was the surgery for your hubby's veins expensive? That sounds like what DH has as well :( does it get worse as he gets older?

Lirpa, some states in the US requires IVF to be covered in your insurance. But if it's not covered, it's between $12k & $13k for ivf including ICSI & Assisted hatching and around $4k for medication. Australia sounds much cheaper.

Wishing you all the best and hoping you get your BFP here in Australia. :hugs:

It took me and my hubby 2 stim cycles and 1 frozen transfer to have our little girl. We managed to do all of those rounds between June and December of 2013. I have PCOS and hubby has low count and motility. We were very lucky that we found we had issues at a younger age. I was 23 and hubby was 25 when we did the IVF.

Lirpa, some states in the US requires IVF to be covered in your insurance. But if it's not covered, it's between $12k & $13k for ivf including ICSI & Assisted hatching and around $4k for medication. Australia sounds much cheaper.

It is ILT. I thought we would be better off going to usa to get it done, but this is reason enough for us to delay the move I'm afraid. $3800 vs $12000 (and that's the lower end!).. Is crazy.

Wow, a year and a bit ago I remember being on here, in the TWW each month,so excited. It's turned into a nightmare. At least we have options now though.

How is your journey going? Where abouts are you based??

Wishing you all the best and hoping you get your BFP here in Australia. :hugs:

It took me and my hubby 2 stim cycles and 1 frozen transfer to have our little girl. We managed to do all of those rounds between June and December of 2013. I have PCOS and hubby has low count and motility. We were very lucky that we found we had issues at a younger age. I was 23 and hubby was 25 when we did the IVF.

Thanks Jillie. I'm glad we've found it while quite young,but still disheartening! We thought it would be easy to make a baby! Th doctor seems positive about the ivf so fingers crossed!

This may be a silly question, but is it painful to the woman, doing the ivf?

Lirpa, I remember those days!! I'm way calmer now when it comes to TTC. I have my baseline sscan on Tuesday and start meds this coming friday. I think you'll find yourself in the same state once you get the IVF process going. :)

Not a silly question at all! I personally didn't find the process physically painful... more the emotional side painful.

The needles I was ok with, blood tests fine, I felt a bit bloated before egg pick up and was a bit sore after egg pick up, but nothing too bad. Everyone differs though. The worst part was the not knowing what would happen... what if we got no eggs? what if we got eggs but they are immature? what if we get some mature eggs and they don't fertilize? what if the fertilized ones stop growing?... As soon as one hurdle was over, I was worried about the next hurdle.

But as much as I was cranky we had to go down the expensive and no guarantees IVF road at such a young age (you are right, it 'should' not be this hard at a younger age!) I also felt blessed that we had the opportunity to do it and we had that option to try to complete our family. It was heartbreaking to get a BFN after the first round, but it is amazing how fast you can pick yourself up and try again. With the miscarriage second time around it was so painful, but I knew my body COULD get pregnant, so it gave me hope. So the third time when it worked, it was amazing (but nerve wracking at the same time)!

Each time I look at my little girl, I would do it all again in a heartbeat. It was so worth it no matter how hard it all got.

My advice, just take it one day at a time. Never stop thinking of the end goal!

Lirpa11-

Hi, I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through. I can relate. I also have PCOS and am on metformin. I was given metformin because I have insulin resistance. The metformin does seem to help me ovulate. My DH has a low count but it is much lower than yours! The confusing thing about my situation is that my DH and I have a son that we had naturally by accident! I had him when I was 25. We were not trying to conceive at the time. I had PCOS symptoms but was not diagnosed and my DH had not had a SA back then. I didn't go to the dr much at that time. I was scared! My son in now 7! About 4 years ago we decided to have another child. It should be a piece of cake! I mean we got pregnant without even trying before! Fast forward 4 years, countless tests and meds, 1 IUI and 1 IVF and still no results. It is a terribly hard journey and the symptoms of PCOS do not help. I wish you all the luck. It definitely helps that you are young. It gives you a much better chance for success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->