Confused - Swine Flu Vaccine

I said no to mine....I was worried of long term developmental issues that are unknown and after growing up with an autistic sister just couldn't do it. It is such a personal decision though and what is right for some may not be right for others. This is such a sensitive subject on here so please no argument about my post was just stating my opinion. Good luck in you decision and pregnancy:)

I did not get the shot and have been just fine. I actually just got over bronchitis and made it through just fine. It's a very personal decision--that I made based on the fact that we really don't know the long term effects of the shot, I've never gotten a flu shot, and a couple other reasons including allergies to certain things in the shot.

Good luck making a decision! :)

Sorry probably already been discussed but I have just received a letter inviting me to take the swine flu vaccine on the 22nd. I really don't know what to do for the best!

I've read that you feel really ill after and can suffer with a really painful arm.. But things I've heard in the news etc have left me feeling 'scared' about having it..

Just wanted to hear from people who are in the same situation as me, what did you do? How did you feel after if you had it?

:shrug:

Hi Louisa,

I was in the camp of definately no way am I ever having that!! But I decided that as I already have two children already, if I got ill and it was fatal as it could be, then they would be left without a mum.

I talked to my GP about it yeaterday and he was really urging me to have it done. He said if it was his wife that was pregnant he would 100% do it. That was enough to convince me.

I had it done last night and I feel fine. My arm is a bit sore and I do have a slight guilty feeling but I have decided to just get on with it and pretend I haven't had it done.

For me I think it is the right decision as I have two children both at school and my husband is aslo a bus driver so he comes into contatc with hundreds of different people each day.

I think you just have to decide what is best for you. If you can have minimal contact with people and dont have children of school age then
there is less chance of catching it but in my case there is no hope of that!!

Plus it is christmas and I ALWAYS get ill at christmas.

Whatever you decide good luck xxx

Regular handwashing is supposed to cut the risk significantly.

I havent decided either way that i want it yet...

Havent been invited for it as yet, although expecting a letter any day... in terms of timing, if I do have it, I will wait until after Xmas as it would be too close to risk feeling pants over Xmas if I did have any ill effects! It doesnt give you immunity for 3 weeks anyway so wouldnt cover you for meeting lots of people over the holiday period anyway xx

EMX I think it's too late for us, we'll be in third tri by then and they put a warning in UK on third tri swine flu vaccine. I am not getting it either way, but just wanted to give you heads up if you're getting it.

well i had mine yest at 2pm and feel fine apart from a swollen sore arm xx

Im booked in for next tuesday... I asked the doc if i was his wife and i was carrying his child what he do and he said he would urge his wife to get the jab so thats made my mind up. I have a little boy whos 14 months so im protecting him too by getting this jab..

My doctor told me she would not get the jab and also said her daughter, who is a doctor and also pregnant, chooses not to get the jab. My midwife was the opposite and was encouraging the vaccine. So it seems even the doctors don't agree despite what the ''official recommendations'' are and is one of the reasons I still feel it's a personal choice in the end.

Regular handwashing is supposed to cut the risk significantly.

Not everyone washes their hands regularly tho do they? It's all very well you doing it yourself, but think of the hundreds of things you come into contact with daily, I suppose it would be impossible to wash your hands right after you touch everything. I work in retail and I'm handling money, clothes, bags, and even touching other folk, but can't run off to the bathroom every 2 minutes. I do carry a bottle of sanitiser gel with me, but at busy times I can't always remember to use it :wacko:

I had mine done a month ago now, and am very happy with the decision I made, I wouldn't want to leave my son motherless if anything were to happen, plus I suffer from asthma, and have the regular flu shot each year too. I had a killer sore arm after it, but I'm a wimp when it comes to pain lol I also felt a bit fluey, but I hadn't been well leading up to it.
I agree tho that it's a very personla decision, and not one to be taken lightly, talk to your OH about it, see how he feels, and also to your midwife.

Hope you make the right choice for you xx

JessieHD mentioned the thread that was for those who decided not to get the vaccine. I found the link if you're interested in having a read through it

https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnan...-do-people-have-refused-swine-flu-jab-16.html

Also, I believe there is a great thread for those who have decided to get the vaccine, perhaps if one of you who know about that want to provide a link as well, for balance and all that? I remember one with Celvapan and Pandemrix in the title, but think it got moved out of the 2nd trimester forum?

Best of luck with your decision anyhoo :)

i refused the jab but it was a very hard choice to make and its really only a choice we can make alone as everyone has their own views and opinions about it. theirs pros and cons for having or not having it.
good luck with your choice :flower:
xxx

i have refused it but im always in the house now anyway so feel alot safer atm. plus my auntie is a midwife in the intensive care childrens hosp and she told me alot of the ladies shes had go in have went into labour early and it seems to be when they have had the jag... although mw's we no would not tell u that!

I had mine this eveing. I was still in two minds when I went in, the nurse was Fab, said she understood and that at the end of the day it was entirely my choice, she waited until I was absolutely certain I wanted it and even just before injecting she asked me if I was definately happy with my decision.
She did say she had it and would definately recommend I had it being pregnant, she knew an 8yo who died from swine flu and she said knowing someone really bought it home to her.
My arm is a little tender but nothing major yet (5hrs later)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->