Confusing Health Visitors

P

pansylove

So I took Ariella to see the HV to get her weighed and some weaning advice and I've come out even more confused than when I went in!

She's 6 months old and when we went in the HV said "WOW you're a big girl aren't you!" .. My baby isn't big? She's about 27" long, wearing age 0-3 grows and 3-6 sleep suits.. So she's fine?! She asked how many bottles + food she's on, and I told her that we're baby led weaning so she has a slice of toast for breakfast, some random finger foods for lunch like boiled carrot, breadsticks.. finger foods that she can suck and eat basically. Then she has like half a small jar for dinner. In between this she has 5 7oz bottles per day.. And she sleeps through the whole night. My HV was SHOCKED and was like wow she's on far too much. What I was asking was how I wean her off bottles.. But then she was like oh no no don't take any away from her.. So I'm SO confused. If she's a 'big' baby.. Eating/drinking too much...... BUT I'M NOT SUPPOSED TO TAKE ANY AWAY?! I'm so so confused.

HELP. :( When do I take her off bottles/use follow on milk? She said she should only be having 3 bottles, breakfast lunch and dinner.. But then she said not to take any away? SO what the hell do I do. lieuhrit;jrs[\erk;prigj'p

Confused Mummy.

EDIT: She's 6 months and 17lbs.. Is this heavy?

Max weighs ALOT more than Ari, and he's taller!
If Aris happy then she's happy, carry on with what you are doing and she will drop her bottles when she wants to drop them!
Max has 4 bottles and 3 meals a day (BLW &TW) and he still scoffs everything :)

Ava was almost 20lb at 6 months ;)

Seriously do not worry, Ava was the exact same, but having more. At 6 mos she was having 4-5 8oz bottles a day, breakfast, lunch and dinner and snacks in between. they also told me to get her onto 3 bottles a day. We've only JUST got her on to three bottles now.

She was having bottles at whenever she woke, 12pm, 3pm, 6pm and 9pm roughly. Now she ha the, when she wakes, 4pm & 8pm. We only changed it as she needed to go bed earlier really, and it worked really well.

I haven't put her on follow on as she is on C&G comfort, last time we tried to switch her to normal C&G he got really sick. Just keep doing what you're doing, it will fall into place. xx

Sorry i'm forum hopping here, but she sounds perfect to me :D if she's happy with her usual milk then i wouldn't bother switching to follow on milk, we stayed with maddi's stage 1 milk till a year. personally i'd say if she's happy having them bottle and she's obviously eating well then leave the bottle's for now, in my experience, they generally wean themselves off bottles the more they eat as they grow :D

Oooooh I had no idea they take themselves off bottles!! Laura how heavy is Max do you know? I just don't get it I've always thought Ari was a small baby, she has such short legs but she was like WOW you're a big girl! And started asking if her Dad was big and saying she must just naturally be a big girl?!!! I really do feel like I'm doing something wrong now but it's definitely a relief to know other people do the same as me!!

aiden weight 20lb at 6 months you dont need to changed to follow on milk hun its just for making money:) HV talk crap tbh.. one says aidens big another hes fine :S lol xx

i dont know much about the weight side of things as ive never payed much attention to weight as long as lo's healthy but my lo is nearly 9 months now..eats tons of food for breakfast..toast, cereal, banana and a biscuit or oat bar..for lunch sandwiches,crisps, some chocolate buttons, fruit, yoighurt + more..and dinner a hot meal and dessert..and he STILL has only dropped 1 feed at lunch time..he still has about 7-8 feeds a day..granted they are becoming shorter than before but he still feeds a hell of a lot..

I would just carry on as your doing..and like someone else said they should gradually wean off them..

I really dont understand how your meant to drop feeds either! I dont know at what age food is meant to be their proper calorie and nutrition intake or if its still milk? so confusing..i just go with the flow now..

also lo doesnt look big in your pictures at all! I would say she looks perfectly normal :) maybe the hv didnt realise how old she was..and plus..big babies are cute! and better to have a big chubby happy healthy baby than a thin malnutritioned one!

x

If she's happy and healthy with the amount of food she's eating, then don't change her diet!!! She's obviously happy with what she's getting! At least your not bloody starving her! x

Syri was 17lbs at her 6 month visit. She was in about the 70th percentile for weight, but I wouldnt say that was bad or anything. She's a little longer though, 28 1/2 inches but I think as long as your LO is happy you should be fine.

:dohh:
Your HV sounds like an idiot TBH. What does she want you to do, STARVE her? At 6 months, my LO was having about 6-7 breastfeeds/bottles a day. All that matters is if she's gaining weight! Around 6 months, my LO weighed around the same as yours. Try not to let your HV worry you, you're fine. Feed her when she wants to be fed!

WTF is she going on about? She doesn't sound very knowledgeable, tbh.
People say this to me too. When they ask how old Tori is and I say 7 months soon they go, "Oh my! She's a big baby!" and I'm just kind of like, "... WTF are you talking about?" She's 16lbs, 2oz at almost 7 months (40th something percentile) and 26'' inches long (50th percentile). People confuse me. :wacko:

:hugs: If i were you id just carry on what you are doing, my two were the same size at 6 months, and i still feed them as and when they want it :) x

I would carry on with what you are doing and your LO will drop the bottles when ready. Aliyah has only just gone down to 3 bottles 2 weeks ago.
I found her taking 1-2oz of her 4th bottle of the day so i decided to cut it out and give her a little snack around that time and it worked perfect;y.
She now has 15-20oz of milk a day. Aptamil comfort as i decided not to use the follow on milk with 3 meals and 2-3 snacks:)

Well, she's bigger than Finn (26 1/2" long and 16 lbs) but she sounds like a very normal size! Her food sounds fine, too.

at 16 weeks tyler weighed 16 pounds 4 oz ignore her do what you feel is best x

She seems perfectly fine to me! Carry on just like your doing. Honestly if she wasn't hungry, she wouldn't eat!!!

People always call Jayden a big baby for an almost 6 month old...but yet she is in the 5th percentile for weight...people are just dumb lol.

She sounds like a total dick!
I would continue what your doing!

People always tell me Lyrik is a huge baby.
She is 11 months and 30 inches which is tall and she isnt even 20 pounds yet,
peolpe are just crazy.

Silly woman, sounds fine what you're doing! 3 bottles a day, I don't think thats right for 6 months old :wacko: I thought it was more like 5. Noah has 2 now... As for follow-on milk its up to you but I did change Noah at about 8 months cos he kept refusing 1st stage and he preferred follow-on :shrug: Plus I had a load of money-off vouchers from the 1st stage tubs ;) And for dropping bottles its just if she starts regularly refusing a particular bottle, means she doesnt want it anymore :) She should be on mainly milk until 1 year anyway so :shrug: Noah is on 98th centile and HV said not to give him any snacks but if he's hungry then I do, I'm not putting my 1 year old on a bloody diet! I would carry on doing what you're doing, she doesn't sound 'big' at all or like she's eating too much :wacko: xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->