confusing lab values

syncronisity

Reaction score
I got a bfp on a hpt on dpo 11. Went and got a beta and it was 50, progesterone was 20.
TOday is dpo16, repeat beta was 878 and progesterone was 21.

Three questions:
1. Does today's beta indicate I am out of the woods for a cp or ep?
2. Does the beta indicate twins?
3. I know hcg doubles every 48 or so hours, but is the fact that progesterone only went up 1 point mean anything? (good or bad)

Thanks in advance!

Your numbers look good. Early on, the doubling time can be quite fast. With dd, my hcg was over 18,000 at 21 dpo. Twins can't be determined by hcg because it can vary too much. I've seen women post that their hcg was higher with their singleton pregnancy than with the twin pregnancy. Though I might still wonder about twins if the hcg was high and rising fast.

I'm not sure the hcg level cut off for chemical pregnancy vs miscarriage. (although chemical is technically a miscarriage too) I've had 3 miscarriages. The first one, my hcg was just over 39,000 at 5 weeks. The third one, it rose appropriately until over 3000 and then stopped rising. So again, the number can't tell you if you're in the clear, but it's more likely than not that the pregnancy is viable when you have good numbers, and you do. I've never had an ectopic so can't comment there.

Wouldn't be concerned with progesterone only going up one. It doesn't rise like the hcg and as long as it's a good number (my OB likes to see it around 20) I wouldn't worry. All looks good. Congratulations!

1) I read a stud recently that said doubling between 12-18dpo tends to be associated with a lower rate of mc. So it's definitely a good sign so far. Try not to stress.

2) I have had both singleton and twin pregnancies. My singletons were were high, but took 48+ hours to double. Your doubling speed is 29 hours (I used countdown to pregnancy's hcg calculator). And I will say my only pregnancy where my hcg doubled at 27 hours was my twin pregnancy. I also had a bump buddy with a similar tripling sped with a singleton and one with twins. Generally, it is associated with twins but a lot of them end up being vanishing twin like mine, had I not gone in for an early scan and just gone in the second twin would have been long gone by my first prenatal. But when my hcg tripled the first thing my gyn said I suspect you might have twins.

3) can't help there worry :(

Congrats!

My OB suspected twins with both my pregnancies because my progesterone was off the chart (both this one and last one progesterone was greater than 60). But I have singles. :D
My OB also never put too much into my hcG. She always focused on progesterone.
She did tell me that doctors actually look for at least a 66% increase in hcG. I saw that also mentioned elsewhere.

that would give you a doubling time of around 29-30 hours... in the beginning hcg doubled every 24-48 hours so id say normal.

thank you SO much to all that replied! made me feel better!
I ovulated on day 21 (opt and temping) so that makes me about 4.5 weeks. Not quite time for u/s yet, but I'm not going to be able to relax til I have that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->