Considering at-home insemination with donor sperm...?

RubyRainbows

TTC Baby#2 Since Oct/2009
Reaction score
We just joined a fertility clinic that will send donor sperm to our home for us to inseminate ourselves.... Just wondering if there is anyone else out there who has tried this and had success?

https://www.babyandbump.com/assisted-conception/458990-home-artificial-insemination-success-stories.html

Hi,

I don't know if it is the same thing but I am a surrogate and we did home inseminations for 3 cycles and got lucky on the 3rd try. Good luck :)

Thank you Rumpskin!

Debbie! How wonderful! I love the "Debbie is keeping me warm for mummy and daddy" that is so sweet! Such an amazing thing you are doing!

I am hoping & praying the insemination works first try... otherwise it may be another year before we can afford to try again! We have been saving for this one attempt!

Did you try anything different on the 3rd attempt that may have helped? If you don't mind me asking, were you using fresh sperm? We will be using frozen donor sperm.

Thanks!

Hi MommyTammyPA / everyone..

Im new to these boards (joined about 60 seconds ago).. I was hoping I could possibly message you to get some more information re your clinic?

My CP and I tried last year at harley street but then she lost her job (back working now - bloomin recession) and we are looking to go again next year but I wanted to research the insemination at home route as well.

My partner has said for the past four years she would never be open to the inseminate at home route but now has said she will consider it depending on how the 'product' looks when it gets to us if you know what I mean! :wacko: When we went to the clinic last year it looked remarkably like water and that is what she is hoping it will be like but all I have read (and forgive me I have only googled) is that it comes 'untreated' so meaning on the this side of the cervix and I imagine it will look like it does in it's original form so (sorry im rambling and telling my whole life story!) I was wondering if you could tell me because you are getting it frozen and from a clinic if you could shed any light on how it will come to you and which clinic you will be using (and approx costs if that is not too much to ask)..

Anyway sorry to gatecrash your thread.. Really hope you can respond.

Jules

I would love to talk with you more in-depth about your process and mine. Sounds like we are in very similar situations. I am new on here too... not sure if we are allowed to post email addresses or not. Do you have a facebook or myspace link you can post? I have not yet received donor sperm. It will be shipped by fedex in a dry ice shipper. We are aiming for this month or next. The fertility clinic we chose cost $150 to join and the semen and shipping will be about 1,000 - 1200 for two vials (i think). It seems like a great clinic... i will know alot more after going thru the process. We can only afford to try once right now! If i don't get pregnant we will have to wait many months to save up more money!:nope:

hi there, if you want to chat pm me. This baby is a at home donor sperm baby. Good luck :thumbup:

Thank you Rumpskin!

Debbie! How wonderful! I love the "Debbie is keeping me warm for mummy and daddy" that is so sweet! Such an amazing thing you are doing!

I am hoping & praying the insemination works first try... otherwise it may be another year before we can afford to try again! We have been saving for this one attempt!

Did you try anything different on the 3rd attempt that may have helped? If you don't mind me asking, were you using fresh sperm? We will be using frozen donor sperm.

Thanks!

Well we used fresh samples every month. For the first 2 months, I used the syringe and then placed the instead cup in. The last month we did, I done 1st day using preseed oil, used the syringe and then didn't use a cup, 2nd day I used preseed, used the syringe and then placed the cup in, 3rd day no preseed and no syringe, just poured the sample straight into the cup. I don't know which day worked obviously lol but we like to think it was the first dayas we did insems at my couples house that day so the baby would have been conceived in their bed :) However, while other months I spent a long time with my legs up the wall and bum in the air, this month I laid down for about half an hour afterwards and then made a point of sitting down for long periods of time as you would normally in an upright position because then your cervix is dipping straight into the cup of sperm.

Sorry if this post is a bit graphic!

Hope it helps though :)

Hi MommyTammyPA / everyone..

Im new to these boards (joined about 60 seconds ago).. I was hoping I could possibly message you to get some more information re your clinic?

My CP and I tried last year at harley street but then she lost her job (back working now - bloomin recession) and we are looking to go again next year but I wanted to research the insemination at home route as well.Jules

Hi Jules, we seem to be in a similar situation, my Partner and I will hopefully start trying early next year. I did have a quick look at the home insemination route but would somehow much rather go via the clinic.

[oh, I think you can't send Personal Messages on here until you get to 5 posts]

Hi all

thanks for all the responses!! Definitely keen to chat more so I am going to post a few more times (will just repeat this one) so I can then PM people.. Otherise am happy to facebook..

:happydance:

ok that didnt seem to work so I guess I will just have to keep posting in here.. I am 'Julianne Clark - London' on facebook if you want to find me on there..

Rainbowmum - we went to LWC and had 1 try at a medicated IUI.. I thought they were great.. any thoughts on which clinic you might go to? I hear guys hospital are very good too..

mer01 - tried to put you in my contacts so we could chat but it keeps saying I cannot use that function as yet..

MTPA - You will need to let me know how you get on with your delivery! I think given you are in the US it might be different to here in any case but any info you could give me would be great!!

x

ok that didnt seem to work so I guess I will just have to keep posting in here.. I am 'Julianne Clark - London' on facebook if you want to find me on there..

Rainbowmum - we went to LWC and had 1 try at a medicated IUI.. I thought they were great.. any thoughts on which clinic you might go to? I hear guys hospital are very good too..x

(strange, the rules state that you can start sending PMs once you reach 5 posts)

We might try MFS(Manchester), will compare prices again closer to treatment start, but don't really feel like coming down to London for every appointment.
Like London they have their own sperm bank and no waiting lists.

My cycle is really, really regular (28 days) so hopefully I'll be able to do it unmedicated, but I guess we'll see all that in about 6 months :)

What do you guys mean by medicated or unmedicated?

What do you guys mean by medicated or unmedicated?

My clinic gives the choice:

In women with regular menstrual cycles we usually recommend insemination in an unstimulated cycle and time the insemination by reference to the woman's mid cycle ovulatory surge.

In women with irregular or infrequent cycles, the ovaries are stimulated with clomiphene or low dose gonadotrophins.

My partner and me went the home route - it worked the first month and now we have a beautiful little girl who is almost one. We did try 3 times in that first month though, night before O, night of O and night after. One tip is to lay with your legs in the air.

Good luck to everyone, feel free to PM me x

hr.lr.07

do you mind me asking if you got your swimmers from a clinic? if yes what did they look like ? sorry I know an odd question but need to get some clarity so hopefully we can go down that route..

MTPA - you can go unmedicated and just ovulate normally or you can have daily injections which increase your chances of having more than one egg and they say increase the quality of your egg.. I did medicated adn still ended up with 1 egg as they had to reduce my dosage as I was growing 4 large follicles whcih would have produced four eggs and they are not comfortable with that many, 2 is ideal, 3 is a push, 4 means cancelling the procedure so we backed off and I got one egg.. Alas it didnt work but I dont think that was because I was medicated or not... Hope that helps!

x

:lol: No, our swimmers were donated by a friend who made a fresh delivery to our bedroom door every night :lol: It was the most disgusting thing I have EVER experienced but it was worth it :) :lol: But the fresh stuff well basically it was white. I have read that it can be anywhere from white to slightly yellow? That was my only experience with it so... TBH the best piece of advice I read was to make sure you enjoy it and not be too uptight about it, yeah its gross but whats the point of just shoving it up there and hoping for the best? Might aswell enjoy it.. :lol: And thats all I'm gonna say, since this part of the forum is open to the public :rofl: PM me if you want to talk about it more, when we were ttc - even though it was just for that one month - I felt like I was stuck on some random island with no one to talk to who really knew what it was like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"